• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wmca 570 is now on 102.3 fm in nyc

rolls eyes, bangs head on desk hard

I was expecting a video of, say, a radio playing the signal from the translator.

Seriously, quit posting these videos. They're crap. Why didn't you just link to the page you posted a video(!) of?

I’m sorry about that

Where is the 102.3 transmitted from?

OP bashing aside, where is the 102.3 WMCA being transmitted from? One of the towers in Kearny?
I haven't seen anything on radio-locator or even NERW/fybush.com

OP bashing aside, where is the 102.3 WMCA being transmitted from? One of the towers in Kearny?
I haven't seen anything on radio-locator or even NERW/fybush.com

The 102.3 translator for WMCA is W272DX and is located on the southeast tower of the WPAT/WNSW array in Clifton, NJ.

The 102.3 translator for WMCA is W272DX and is located on the southeast tower of the WPAT/WNSW array in Clifton, NJ.

Scared to watch the video...so I have to ask, would someone at the real 102.3 not be raising heck that this signal is too close and affecting their legal territory to broadcast? No matter what, these translators are going to kill FM like the disaster on AM if this continues.
The FM clutter is flat out unlistenable. Just more reasons why it's just easier to pay for music. Bad reality.

W272DX isn't within the protected contour of any other 102.3 that I know of. What are you talking about?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe talking about the subject line of this post. Call me crazy. How many other 102.3's are within 50 miles of the 60dBu contour of the actual NYC signal?

W272DX isn't within the protected contour of any other 102.3 that I know of. What are you talking about?

W272DX comes close to the 50-ish dbu area of WSUS, which isn't protected.. but all theyd have to do is get a few listeners to complain and the translator could be forced off,.

Oh, I dunno. Maybe talking about the subject line of this post. Call me crazy. How many other 102.3's are within 50 miles of the 60dBu contour of the actual NYC signal?

There is no "NYC signal" on 102.3 with a 60 dBu signal over any part of city limits. WBAB's 60 doesn't quite reach Rockville Centre or Mineola, never mind outermost Queens. WSUS's 60 doesn't even cross I-287 going east.

And the rule isn't "you can't get within 50 dBu of a 60 dBu signal." The rule, for co-channel, is "the 40 dBu of the translator can't interfere with the 60 dBu of the co-channel full-power signal." The predicted 40 dBu contour of W272DX just clips Sands Point and Port Washington on paper; in practice, I imagine the Manhattan skyline blocks even more of it than that. Going the other way, the W272DX DA is designed with a deep notch to keep the 40 dBu just over Wayne and protect the WSUS contour.

If there's still real-world interference, there's now clearer guidance from the FCC about how to proceed: anywhere within a primary station's 45 dBu contour. If WBAB can come up with real-world listeners inside that contour (which includes most of Queens and the Throgs Neck part of the Bronx), it can submit the required showings and assert its primary status against the secondary signal of W272DX, at which point the 102.3 translator would have to remediate the interference or shut down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom