• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLVI license sold in auction - to become subchannel of WHDH

Will WHDH keep the subchannels it and WLVI already have?
I take from the article, as far as the viewer is concerned, nothing may change: WLVI:56 will just change from WLVIʼs current RF-Ch.41, Vir-Ch.s 56.1 (WLVI), 56.2 (Buzz TV) to WHDHʼa RF-Ch.42, Vir-Ch.s 56.1 (WLVI), 56.2 (Buzz TV)—unless they just dump 56.2/Buzz TV!

Last edited:
This is very sad. WLVI has been on the air for nearly 50 years. It's just like the DTV 2009 transition all over again. I wonder if this could also happen with other stations in the future. I know it's happening with WBIN, and I'm wondering if WBZ/CBS will do the same thing with WSBK, and even less surprisingly, WGBH could do that with WGBX. I think WGBH is one of the only PBS stations in the country that still has another channel in the same city.

I can see lamenting the demise of WLVI as a separately-owned station from Kaiser-Globe to Field to Gannett and Tribune, but is there anything to be nostalgic about regarding having a discrete transmitter for the same exact programming? WLVI has been under Sunbeam ownership since 2006, after all.

Last edited:
Will WHDH keep the subchannels it and WLVI already have?
Good question. Once you get past two HD streams on the same channel things get a little dicey. WMFP is multiplexing two 720p streams (including NBC Boston, down-rezzed from 1080i) and two 480p streams on the same channel. At the bare minimum WHDH will likely move to 720p just to preserve bandwidth.

Last edited:
This is very sad. WLVI has been on the air for nearly 50 years. It's just like the DTV 2009 transition all over again. I wonder if this could also happen with other stations in the future. I know it's happening with WBIN, and I'm wondering if WBZ/CBS will do the same thing with WSBK, and even less surprisingly, WGBH could do that with WGBX.

Once ATSC 3.0 is out, I can see it being mandated. No more duopolies when one transmitter can handle two major channels.

I think WGBH is one of the only PBS stations in the country that still has another channel in the same city.

Milwaukee (WMVS/10 & WMVT/36) and Minneapolis/St. Paul (KTCA/2 and KTCI/17) are all that's left outside of Boston, IIRC. WNET/13 & WLIW/21 in NYC have different COLs -- neither being New York City -- so technically, they don't count.

No more duopolies when one transmitter can handle two major channels.
I wouldn't bet on that. The duopoly rule applies to one owner controlling two major network affiliations in the same market (and thus a large share of advertising revenue); that doesn't magically change just because the two stations are channel-sharing.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Binnie sold WNDS Derry NH back to the FCC and they will be going dark in the next few months.

they sh*tcanned the news operation last Friday morning.

Milwaukee (WMVS/10 & WMVT/36) and Minneapolis/St. Paul (KTCA/2 and KTCI/17) are all that's left outside of Boston, IIRC.

One note is that TPT (Twin Cities Public TV) no longer uses 17 in ID'ing KTCI. Its just KTCI and the moniker they use is "TPT Life". Reason is that TPT merges its PSIP from both stations under the 2.X channel. So as example
RF34 2-1 KTCA PBS (TPT2)
RF23 2-2 KTCI Minnesota Channel
RF23 2-3 KTCI TPT Life
RF34 2-4 KTCA TPT Kids
RF34 2-5 KTCA TPT WX
All stations except TPT WX are carried in 1080i HD

side note...Minneapolis has 3 such examples of 2 RF stations and the PSIP being merged into one. KSTP (ABC) and KSTC (IND) use the 5.X channel (KSTC was 45). KMSP (FOX) and WFTC (MY) use 9.X (MY was 29). They also put FOX on BOTH RF9 & RF29.

side note...Minneapolis has 3 such examples of 2 RF stations and the PSIP being merged into one. KSTP (ABC) and KSTC (IND) use the 5.X channel (KSTC was 45). KMSP (FOX) and WFTC (MY) use 9.X (MY was 29). They also put FOX on BOTH RF9 & RF29.

Wish Fox did that in Phoenix. They air KSAZ Fox 10 in SD on KUTP/RF 26, as 10.2, while Fox in HD (10.1) and Heroes & Icons (10.3) are on KSAZ-TV/RF 10. My45 and the other 45.x channels are aired on KUTP. It'd be better to put Fox in HD on RF 26. RF 10, like the other Phoenix VHFs, has a rather limited range, even with an outdoor antenna. None cover the metro without a really good VHF antenna, something that's almost unheard of in HOA-dominated metro Phoenix.

Milwaukee (WMVS/10 & WMVT/36) and Minneapolis/St. Paul (KTCA/2 and KTCI/17) are all that's left outside of Boston, IIRC. WNET/13 & WLIW/21 in NYC have different COLs -- neither being New York City -- so technically, they don't count.

If you ignore Richmond, VA. ;)

- Trip

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom