• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLFM playing Smooth Jazz instead of Smooth AC again

Sources tell me WLFM Chicago has flipped networks from smooth AC back to the smooth jazz network. Of course, it's just one sub-par BA product to another, but I guess it's some "slight" good news that a station actually flipped back to a more instrumental format.

Are you sure? I just listened and heard about 5-6 vocals in a row. Do you know when it's suppose to happen?

Update: My source says it's just for certain dayparts. Looks like nights will be smooth jazz. Days will be smooth AC. That's what I'm hearing. Check the playlist later tonight. If this is true, that's kinda unique.

I think you are right about that - I'm listening now and they are playing Smooth Jazz and have been now for about 40 minutes. I'm not sure if the Smooth Jazz will stay on overnight as well and stop at 5 or 6 am the next day. Still an interesting move by them, some people must have requested some more Smooth Jazz programming as they only had it on some specialty shows on the weekend. Even if it's BA smooth jazz network, which I have issues with - it is much better than that Smooth AC playlist that they have during the day (mostly all classic R&B songs with 1 or 2 instrumentals an hour).

Also: They are branding this Smooth Jazz block as "Chicago After Hours" - every night at 7.

sjs1959 said:
Well, that didn't last long: Robert Feder of TimeOutChicago says that Merlin Media is either acquiring or getting an LMA and flipping to Alternative - https://twitter.com/#!/RobertFeder/status/194825915698655232

After reading the comment box on http://www.smooth877.com/ I found this comment posted by midday host Rick O'Dell.

Rick O'Dell: I wanted to make sure you got the word from me. The announcement was made today that WLFM will be switching formats on Monday, April 30. I speak for everyone at 87.7 when I say it was a wonderful, exciting three years as Chicago's smooth choice. We are grateful to have had your support.

Great. There goes another smooth jazz station, down the drain. Why don't we continue with trying to revive the format instead of throwing it in the trash? I've been listening to 103.7 The Oasis/Albuquerque every day, and enjoy Katie Cole as well as Steve Hibbard. Only thing that annoys me are the "Are you facing foreclosure?.." ads.

-crainbebo

As somebody who worked in advertising sales for a few decades, maybe I can shed a little light on the situation:

*I don't care what the so-called financial experts say...we are in the 4th year of the worst recession this country has seen since the late 1920's.

*Even with more than 90% of the population employed, a good chunk of them are earning far less than they earned 10 years ago, many are deep in personal debt, prices on necessities like gas, food, and so forth continue to get higher and higher...thus, many folks just aren't spending as much on non-necessities today...they just don't have it to spend.

*With the explosive growth of the internet...the public has a lot, lot more entertainment options than "just" radio...and major advertisers are spreading their ad dollars around...with an increasing share going to "new media" (digitial, websites)...and those digital ad dollars are coming from radio and TV budgets. Fewer ad dollars to traditional media.

What does all this have to do with so many format changes?

Radio groups and station owners are living in survival mode in a precarious advertising revenue environment. Radio is indeed a business...and rapid format changes reflect lost revenues. Sportstalk and to a lesser extent news and news-talk on FM is the new radio "silver bullet". Niche formats like smooth jazz, even some formerly mass-appeal formats become lost in the "we gotta make some money" shuffle. It's an economic reality....sadly.

crainbebo said:
I've been listening to 103.7 The Oasis/Albuquerque every day, and enjoy Katie Cole as well as Steve Hibbard. Only thing that annoys me are the "Are you facing foreclosure?.." ads.

Maybe Broadcast Architecture should listen to those ads on their Albuquerque competitor since with the way the B.A. network is going, they may be facing foreclosure soon too. LOL ;D

well said, Tim.

Tim said:
As somebody who worked in advertising sales for a few decades, maybe I can shed a little light on the situation:

*I don't care what the so-called financial experts say...we are in the 4th year of the worst recession this country has seen since the late 1920's.

*Even with more than 90% of the population employed, a good chunk of them are earning far less than they earned 10 years ago, many are deep in personal debt, prices on necessities like gas, food, and so forth continue to get higher and higher...thus, many folks just aren't spending as much on non-necessities today...they just don't have it to spend.

*With the explosive growth of the internet...the public has a lot, lot more entertainment options than "just" radio...and major advertisers are spreading their ad dollars around...with an increasing share going to "new media" (digitial, websites)...and those digital ad dollars are coming from radio and TV budgets. Fewer ad dollars to traditional media.

What does all this have to do with so many format changes?

Radio groups and station owners are living in survival mode in a precarious advertising revenue environment. Radio is indeed a business...and rapid format changes reflect lost revenues. Sportstalk and to a lesser extent news and news-talk on FM is the new radio "silver bullet". Niche formats like smooth jazz, even some formerly mass-appeal formats become lost in the "we gotta make some money" shuffle. It's an economic reality....sadly.

According to the Chicago boards, the last SJ song played on 87.7 was David Sanborn's "Chicago Song". But, I'm glad some stations are TRYING to revive it, mostly on the weekends. Now if I could see either Steve Hibbard and Katie Cole syndicated, and a return of Jones, or new SJ stations in Seattle AND Portland AND Tri-Cities, that would be great.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom