• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKAF 97.7 to Urban AC

Great, just what Boston needs more hood music and hood acting personalities to go with the already churban overflow of 94.5 and 96.9... great job Entercom. Let me grab my homies for this show know what I'm sayin' dawg, we here Bawston. 
Naw, this seems to be more mainstream AC-Urban, all time hits (e.g., including Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind & Fire, etc.), rather than hip-hop/gangsta rap like 94.5 and 96.9.

Maybe within the hour.
Minutes after reading about MyPillow being a scam as designated by Better Business Bureau I hear an ad for them on WAAF.
Use that special code, folks...

Not the pillow itself, but the marketing -- specifically the "special" two-for-one offer that was determined to have no expiration date, making $89.95 for two pillows the regular price, not a special offer. Whether that's too much to pay for any two pillows is up to the consumer to decide. An awful lot of people seem to like the product.

I have only caught bit and pieces here and there but the women in the office here already have it cranked up, and most are not black. Looks like they nailed the music.

In a move to provide the only full-signal, Urban radio format to America’s 10th largest market,...

Since when is a Class A FM considered a "full signal".

Hyperbole much, Entercom?

Great, just what Boston needs more hood music and hood acting personalities to go with the already churban overflow of 94.5 and 96.9... great job Entercom. Let me grab my homies for this show know what I'm sayin' dawg, we here Bawston. 😒

It's an AC station. Leave the bigotry at the door, please.

The market is over 18% African American and Hispanic, and those two groups are significantly under-served.

Agreed and apologies for the misquote. That was not my intention. Good radio is good radio. This appears to be good. Someone has done their homework.

Nope, by far not racist, I apologize if my banter seemed harsh and hurt anyone's fragile feelings In the process, I forgot we are in 2017, maybe the the signal will serve its purpose this time around.

Cheers.

I have only caught bit and pieces here and there but the women in the office here already have it cranked up, and most are not black. Looks like they nailed the music.

Got to agree. They really did nail it. I hope they keep a deep playlist. I've been listening since they began.

If they keep it very mass appeal hits oriented, then they will get enough Caucasian listeners to make it work. I just don't think there are enough African Americans in Boston to make this a go just for them, they will need to expand out a little and I'd say there are enough mass appeal r-n-b hits to do it, the key will be tempo, it will have to be more upbeat and less slow song driven than most Urban Acs usually are. I wouldn't be afraid to play some mass appeal classic hip hop that is obviously of the party theme variety(it takes two). I wonder if the small small amount this will take away from 94.5 will be enough to make a change there? 96.9 seems to have really found their niche and a slight shaving from the new 97.7 shouldn't enough to really affect them.

If they keep it very mass appeal hits oriented, then they will get enough Caucasian listeners to make it work. I just don't think there are enough African Americans in Boston to make this a go just for them, they will need to expand out a little and I'd say there are enough mass appeal r-n-b hits to do it, the key will be tempo, it will have to be more upbeat and less slow song driven than most Urban Acs usually are. I wouldn't be afraid to play some mass appeal classic hip hop that is obviously of the party theme variety(it takes two). I wonder if the small small amount this will take away from 94.5 will be enough to make a change there? 96.9 seems to have really found their niche and a slight shaving from the new 97.7 shouldn't enough to really affect them.

IMHO, I think it's perfect the way it is. Up tempo is good, but better if mixed with down tempo and a lot of variety. I can't see how they possibly can improve from what I hear thus far.

Yeah, I agree that JAM'N is in big trouble.

If they keep it very mass appeal hits oriented, then they will get enough Caucasian listeners to make it work. I just don't think there are enough African Americans in Boston to make this a go just for them, they will need to expand out a little..

With more Hispanics in Boston than African Americans, the key to success is appealing to the second generation Hispanics and beyond. That has worked in a number of East Coast markets, particularly in Miami where there are mostly Caribbean-heritage Hispanics.

One liner says they're the station for those who like Prince, Usher, and Whitney Houston. The intro when they went on said they'll also have hottest of today's hits.

True, some Michael (PYT) and EW&F (That's the Way of the World) to be heard.As for MyPillow, the two for one come on has been criticized, some say it doesn't really solve medical problems but it may for some...and some say it has a chemical smell.

Since when is a Class A FM considered a "full signal".

Hyperbole much, Entercom?

Perhaps they expected Beasley to beat them to the punch when they wrote that?

With urban AC off the list, and adult hits a serious clash with WROR, it would seem like today's events pretty much force Beasley to go Spanish tropical on 106.1.

By comparison to AM or a translator, 97.7 pretty much is a full signal. Agreed here that Beasley going after this with 250 watts is certain death.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom