• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJTV 12 airing 9-30 message about leaving Direct TV

Today. during the Auburn-LSU football game. CBS affiliate WJTV 12 out of Jackson, Miss., was running a notice to viewers. It says, viewers need to contact DirectTV if they want to see WJTV & CW Mississippi (12.2) after Sept. 30 when it will be unavailable to DirectTV viewers. WJTV is owned by Media General so I was wondering if Media General is having renogiation issues with DirectTV for rebroadcast fees. By the way, DirectTV in this area carries the CW affiliate out of Washington, D.C. on CH.14 on the screen. How can WJTV say viewers cannot see the CW when WJTV's CW channel is a subchannel 12.2 and not even on DIrectTV. It sounds like a desperate move to scare viewers into pressuring DirectTV.

Yes, it's renegotiation time between Media General and DirecTV. I also found it interesting the comment about losing Mississippi's CW, even though that's not carried on DirecTV yet.

I suspect that Media General is tipping its hand that it will mandate carriage of CW in order to get CBS. My wife and I have Dish Network and we figure that once DirecTV adds CW, Dish will add it a couple of months later. We watch CW using an antenna about 25 miles from the tower.

I was right. WJTV confirmed that DirecTV will add Mississippi's CW to the Jackson locals package before the end of the year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom