• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wjjz will be gone as of midnight.

For those who think it's possible to put a fringe music format on AM. Yes they managed to hang on for a few years. But then the reality set in.

For those who think it's possible to put a fringe music format on AM. Yes they managed to hang on for a few years. But then the reality set in.

Connecticut has a stubborn one in WQUN 1220 Hamden, running America's Best Music (previously ran Music of Your Life) with live local hosts (6 am to 6 pm weekdays). The station is owned by Quinnipiac University but operates as a commercial station. It was even on the Red Sox network for a few years. Doing what they're doing since 1997, a pretty good run keeping music alive on AM with no translator to help. I suppose reality will set in one of these years.

I grew up with JJZ on 106.1, so I loved having it back on 1480. But even when it first signed on I knew there was no way it can last that long.

What Michael Tozzi wrote, As of midnight (09-11-17) Smooth Jazz JJZ is proud to turn over 1480 am Philadelphia to a great cause in Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)! We feel the great work that CHOP does worldwide in Breakthroughs Everyday will help our kids enjoy a healthy lifestyle and look for your support of Breakthrough Radio. Smooth Jazz JJZ continues to be enjoyed on the iHeartRadio app and WJJZ.com, so please let your friends everywhere know that we are committed to ‘supporting the music to protect the dream’ each and every day’. Please share with your friends on social media that we are, and continue to be, THE place for the latest in the music you love, wherever and whenever you need us! Thanks for your continued support!

Wonder what iHeart will do now with 1480. Options are pretty limited.

IHeart doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel -- leased ethnic or dollar-a-holler infomercials -- in any of its markets, does it? I guess that means yet another right-wing talker with B- or C-list talent, right, just to be able to tell advertisers that those shows are running in Philly? Or maybe financial talk, which is kind of a higher-class infomercial format?

Wonder what iHeart will do now with 1480. Options are pretty limited.

I think they should shut it down and return the license to the FCC and perhaps try and get another AM, like 950 or 1210 AM for example (if Family Radio or CBS is willing to give up the station and work out a deal with Iheart) Those 2 stations have better AM signals, than 1480. I'm sure Iheart still wants a AM in this market, but keeping 1480 would not be beneficial to them at this point.

Last edited:
Wonder whats going on the 106.1 HD2 and HD3 signals, something like CBS's the Strip would be awesome. When Iheart added an HD3 to 102.1 months ago, they simulcasted the HD2 Pulse Radio with the HD3 for a few months, then moved Pulse to the 3 and put Russian on the 2. Makes me think they knew this was coming when they added a 3 to 106.1 and simulcasted it with the 2 and 1480, now what to do with two subs.

Really? Turn it in? You do realize a radio frequency is an asset. I look at it like this: you have a house that's not bad. At one point it was a great neighborhood but now the neighborhood has changed and you've not figured out how to make money off of it. What do you do? You abandon it and let the county eventually take it and auction it for back taxes? Or You try to sell it to recoup as much as you can out of it? I'm supposing you'd take the second option. A radio station is an asset just like a home. It has value even if you are losing money by keeping it. The last thing you'd do is turn it in. Granted that has happened in small towns where the AM/FM combo might let the AM go back to the FCC instead of selling it because whoever they sold it to would be a rival for the small town's ad dollars but this is a major market where selling versus turning in the license is the only option, aside from the fact iHeart's stockholders are not going to put up with the company turning in assets.

What Michael Tozzi wrote, As of midnight (09-11-17) Smooth Jazz JJZ is proud to turn over 1480 am Philadelphia to a great cause in Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)! We feel the great work that CHOP does worldwide in Breakthroughs Everyday will help our kids enjoy a healthy lifestyle and look for your support of Breakthrough Radio. Smooth Jazz JJZ continues to be enjoyed on the iHeartRadio app and WJJZ.com, so please let your friends everywhere know that we are committed to ‘supporting the music to protect the dream’ each and every day’. Please share with your friends on social media that we are, and continue to be, THE place for the latest in the music you love, wherever and whenever you need us! Thanks for your continued support!

So ... more low-fi music on AM, along with infomercial-type health tips and stories from the Children's Hospital? What sort of music? Children's music, for the kids in the hospital to enjoy? Not gonna work on AM. The format looks like a placeholder to me, something to keep the transmitter going.

Should iheart sell 1480 so that they can try and buy a more powerful am station like 950 or 1210?

Heard the new legal ID and it is Tozzi himself. "Feel good music for healthier kids" whatever the hell that means. They'er playing current top 40 songs. Playing Despacito right now.

now they're playing "you're my best friend" by Queen. It seems it might just be a sort of mock "more FM" sort of thing. "bringing out the kid in everyone" was the liner between songs

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom