• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJFP 740/95.3 status?

I've been back in the area since Wednesday and have noticed it's been off air the whole time I've been here. I'm guessing studio and/or transmitter maintenance?

I've been back in the area since Wednesday and have noticed it's been off air the whole time I've been here. I'm guessing studio and/or transmitter maintenance?
W237EH (95.3) went silent on 9/2/22 according to the FCC and this was their request:

"W237EH will be going silent on 9/2/2022 as a result of loss of permission to rebroadcast from current primary station WJFP (AM). W237EH will be filing a notice of change of primary station as soon as permission from new primary station is obtained and resuming operations."

what exactly does that mean, thanks...
The translator licensee was leasing the AM to allow the translator to operate. They lost the lease, and can not operate without an HD channel or an AM or FM to "translate".

Not in this case. John Fredericks owns the AM and the permanently attached 103.3 translator. The 95.3, which actually reaches Philadelphia, belongs to a third party and had been relaying 740 under a previous format and owner. Either Fredericks chose not to pay them what they wanted for continued carriage, or they decided to find a new primary.

I remember years back, they simulcasted WVCH when they were religious, so 740 was there for a time in the early 2000s, then a few spanish signals came and went. Can John purchase the 95.3 signal or maybe the area they cover is not what his station is after, who knows.

Some borderline off-topic trivia here. Perhaps someone aboard remembers those days:
Back in the 60's, me just starting out on that thankless hobby cruise called DX back near JFK Airport, semi-local WGSM Huntington was a 1000 omni daytimer. All day, WVCH was under them and (iIrc) having secular music. And when WGSM had signed off, 1000-watt omni WVCH would be there until their time-zone sign off. That farewell billboarded the conclusion 'of its 4.832nd broadcast day'. I heard that sign-off a few times. Anyone here know when they stopped doing that?
When WGSM on Long Island went to 5000 watts, they needed two more sticks for directionability. And around the late 80's (?) they hoisted a fourth tower to goto 25,000 watts. Both directional arrays had to corset just about all of it in, away from Chester. Check out today's pattern, as 'WNYH', with that crazy SSW null :
At night it's even WORSE! They are barely audible in Oyster Bay, way under Toronto.

I remember years back, they simulcasted WVCH when they were religious, so 740 was there for a time in the early 2000s, then a few spanish signals came and went. Can John purchase the 95.3 signal or maybe the area they cover is not what his station is after, who knows.
I drove past the transmitter site of 103.3 today and they are still dead air and their rds says “WVCH”. I’m guessing they don’t care a lot about the 103.3

No license transfer to Wilkins or anyone else has ever been filed. Nor has a program source change.
Program source has changed, go listen to it buddy.

Back
Top Bottom