• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIP MONO WPEN STEREO

I have noticed on my non HD receivers WIP is in mono but WPEN is in stereo. Why would the more powerful WIP be in mono, whereas WPEN should be in mono to get more coverage distance. I do not under stand that on my HD receivers WIP is in HD with 2 subs, can a signal be mono but still in HD, strange.

I have noticed on my non HD receivers WIP is in mono but WPEN is in stereo. Why would the more powerful WIP be in mono, whereas WPEN should be in mono to get more coverage distance.
Two different companies. That means different decision makers.

The modern thinking is that using mono to extend noise-free reception area is only marginally helpful.

, can a signal be mono but still in HD
Yes. The stereo carrier is totally independent of the HD sidebands.

I have noticed on my non HD receivers WIP is in mono but WPEN is in stereo. Why would the more powerful WIP be in mono, whereas WPEN should be in mono to get more coverage distance. I do not under stand that on my HD receivers WIP is in HD with 2 subs, can a signal be mono but still in HD, strange.

Mono vs stereo is a myth/partial fact that only applies to FM, nopt AM

See how confusing that is? If, like some say, call letters aren't important anymore, why did they move them exclusively to the FMs? WIP will always be 610, WPEN will always be 950, to anyone who really loves radio.

WIP does broadcast in stereo from time to time but I think that they broadcast in mono because they mostly air talk and sports programs and not music.

Theoretically, if the FM is mono with no RDS, the additional bandwidth above (example) 20 KHz could be used for additional HD data.
I haven't looked at the HD modes available. One of course is HD using the full FM channel with no analog.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom