• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Winnipeg's CJGV-FM to drop smooth AC?

Interesting......And aren't there something like 3 "Mix Adult Contemporary" formats in Winnipeg ALREADY?

If their format isn't viable financially, fine. But there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

I hope the CRTC sees that......

CJGV may be the last English Smooth Jazz station, but everyone seems to forget that we have a French one here in my native Montreal. That station is CKLX Planete Jazz 91.9.

It's official. The CRTC has approved the format modification and Smooth Jazz/AC will be gone on 99.1 FM after the holidays. CJGV has switched (or will be shortly, if it hasn't already) to all-Christmas music for the immediate future.

Mark - I looked up Planete Jazz and it looks good although I don't speak a word of French. Do they have a rebroadcaster network around Quebec or is Montreal the only one?

@ChrisInMI: I will e-mail you my list of Smooth Jazz stations in an excel spreadsheet. Expect an e-mail from [email protected]

Thanks Donald, I saw your spreadsheet link in one of your previous posts, and will look forward to it. :)

I have been meaning to check out what you are doing with WBWH-LP yet but haven't had a chance to. Will definitely do so soon.

Great Chris, you should have it by now - I sent it out on Friday Night. Let me know if you didn't get it and I'll resend it.

ChrisInMI said:
It's official. The CRTC has approved the format modification and Smooth Jazz/AC will be gone on 99.1 FM after the holidays. CJGV has switched (or will be shortly, if it hasn't already) to all-Christmas music for the immediate future.

Mark - I looked up Planete Jazz and it looks good although I don't speak a word of French. Do they have a rebroadcaster network around Quebec or is Montreal the only one?

Chris, unlike many other radio networks in Quebec, like CKOI (whose flagship, CKOI-FM is located here in Montreal) and the dwindling number Souvenirs Garantis (French oldies) stations, Planete Jazz does not have any rebroadcasters. Despite the fact that it's all in French, Planete Jazz does play traditional smooth jazz music.

Near the end of their respective lives, CIWV and CJGV were more Smooth AC than Smooth Jazz. Their playlists featured numerous AC songs, and fewer instrumentals. Many Smooth Jazz stations across North America have kept the format alive by going the Smooth AC route.

Thanks Mark. Will definitely check out Planete Jazz - I guess the reason it wasn't on my radar previously was that it was Francophone. The reason I asked was that I thought I had heard something about a network of smooth jazz rebroadcasters around Quebec - I thought for some reason 97.1 in Gatineau/Ottawa was part of such network. According to Wikipedia, it's now a classical/jazz/AC mix.

Donald - didn't get your spreadsheet. I'll PM you again.

Here's an update regarding the future of CJGV.

After Christmas, the station segued to a Hot AC format with the temporary branding of 99.1 FM. The new format is slated to launch on February 14th, and may be branded as 99.1 Fresh FM.

The major hint that points to the Fresh FM branding can be found on the splash page that replaced Groove's homepage. It contains a cluster of words, with the word "fresh" appearing twice in that cluster. The font used in the 99.1 FM logo is identical to that of 103.1 Fresh FM (CFHK) in London, ON. Both 103.1 Fresh FM and the former Groove FM are owned by Corus.

In addition, a Twitter account for 99.1 FM (@99_1FM) was launched, and one of their first tweets made reference to something "fresh" coming to that frequency in the new year. They have a Facebook page up as well.

If the end result of this isn't Fresh FM, then I have no idea what it will be. All the signs seem to point to a relaunch as 99.1 Fresh FM, though.

Here are some useful links.

@99_1FM on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/991_FM
99.1 FM Splash Page (has live stream link): http://www.groovefm.ca/other/index.html
99.1 FM Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/991-FM/257080087687534

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom