• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will we see more oldies radio stations popping up?

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to check it out yet? I have, and I sort of agree with you on that point. But it is not my station. Since posting my previous message, I have heard a song or two from the '50s on there.

Meanwhile, another area station owner is in the process of putting another local AM station (which previously had an oldies format, along with several others) back on the air. Hopefully, this reborn station will also play oldies. But it won't make it onto the air until after the first of the year, from what I have been told. No word of a format for the new station as of yet, but my fingers are crossed!

I have a friend in Saint Louis, MO who introduced me to the coolest station, KZQZ 1430. It's a newer station in Saint Louis that was built from the ground up, and broadcasts solid gold oldies of the 50's and 60's. The coolest thing, the owner of this station appears to be running the station only because he wants to serve the loyal niche of oldies listeners.

Anyway, I found it interesting that an oldies station really IS working. The station seems to have listeners of a wide audience from all around Missouri, as this station is a 50kw blowtorch.

I had the chance to hear them by sunset skip here in Michigan about a month ago, and really liked what I heard.

As for being "built from the ground up" Doesn't the station, formerly WIL, go back decades?

I'm not sure that '60s listeners are compatable with '80s listeners, but I guess it's worth a try. And since the station is AM, do people really want to hear music from that era in mono? '50s & early '60s works in mono but '70s & '80s, I don't know.
Meant to mention earlier that I listened to that station online. I live to far away to listen to their actual signal, but since I listened online, I heard it in stereo, and it sounded great to me!

There's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread, and a good bit of denial.

"Doing well" and "I like it" are two different things. Nobody is going to do much playing music on AM. Except for a few long-established stations, nobody is going to do much doing anything on AM.

There are advertisers who are targeting older audiences. Problem is: They don't buy radio to do it. Notice all those "oldies TV" cable channels and sub-channels.

What David Eduardo posts is right on. Study it (there will be a quiz). In addition, because people have disposable income, doesn't mean they are inclined to dispose of it. Retirement has become a lot more financially uncertain than it used to be. Add to that people are living longer, which means retirement money needs to last longer. Besides, empty nesters and retirees have already bought much of what they need. And with kids gone, don't need much of what they used to need.

So, you people with all that disposable income who like Oldies - subscribe to satellite radio or some online channel. Oh, wait. People of certain age tend to get incredibly cheap. They keep asking for senior discounts and go out to dinner at 4pm for the early bird special. No wonder advertisers aren't interested.

So, you people with all that disposable income who like Oldies - subscribe to satellite radio or some online channel. Oh, wait. People of certain age tend to get incredibly cheap. They keep asking for senior discounts and go out to dinner at 4pm for the early bird special. No wonder advertisers aren't interested.

Wow........

The Demographic is quickly turning too old to program a commercial radio station 50's and pre-Beatles 60's.If However you program enough Dance from the 50's & Early 60's then Beatles,Stones & Animals to Mid 80's Core Classic Hits Artists like Starship,Billy Joel and Hall & Oates in Markets like here in Daytona Beach(on WROD where I tried this in Sept,Oct & Early Nov) where there is a larger Older Demo you may be able to sustain enough revenue-what I worried about after I left WROD is if you cut too much 50's and you cut it off too early like '75 is Burn-out.... markets like Orlando and Brevard County where there just is not a very big older demo they found years ago it's not possible.And as time marches along those die-hard OLDIES listeners are going to find it necessary to move to alternate methods such as Satellite or Streaming to hear their favorites.Just a fact-much like the Music Of Your Life fans discovered a while back.

All of this assumes that everyone "listening" to an AM station is strictly listening to their over-the-air signal. Folks, this is 2013, not 1975. Only my parents still listen to OTA AM radio. Most of us now listen online, or if we live close enough, to that station's FM translator. And this is pretty much true of all AM stations regardless of format. I don't know of any truly successful AM station that isn't doing at least one, if not both, of the above options.

I had the chance to hear them by sunset skip here in Michigan about a month ago, and really liked what I heard.

As for being "built from the ground up" Doesn't the station, formerly WIL, go back decades?

I do not know the exact history of the 1430 frequency because I am not from St. Louis, and hail from Generation Y. However, you might be right!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom