• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will we ever see classic holiday cartoon specials in HD.

What are the chances we see these holiday specials redone in HD? All of these classic holiday specials are still SD only. Can they ever be remastered? Or reanimated.

Frosty the Snowman certainly looks like it was remastered, despite being kept in 4:3. The promos for it stretch the footage to 16:9, though.

Rudolph was "stop-action" animation produced on film in 1964. I don't see any way it can ever go to 16:9 aspect ratio without creating distortions. I'd rather deal with blank bars on the sides than seeing the video go into "squish-screen".

Rudolph was "stop-action" animation produced on film in 1964. I don't see any way it can ever go to 16:9 aspect ratio without creating distortions. I'd rather deal with blank bars on the sides than seeing the video go into "squish-screen".

What mm was is produced in? I assume it's possible if the masters were large enough. Or if the masters even still exist.

What mm was is produced in? I assume it's possible if the masters were large enough. Or if the masters even still exist.

Interesting question. The production company was ultimately sold to Universal, and any masters might have been in the warehouse fire on the lot over ten years ago.

IMDB lists
Runtime 47 min
51 min (Blu-ray)
Sound Mix Mono (RCA Sound Recording)
Color Color (Technicolor)
Aspect Ratio 4:3
Negative Format 35 mm
Cinematographic Process Spherical
Printed Film Format 35 mm

Classic Media has had the rights to Rudolph for years now. Their logo pops up at the end of the CBS Rudolph...in 4:3 of course. Apparently Freeform brought back a couple of the long-lost scenes when they got tandem rights last year, including Yukon's peppermint mine scene which had been banished since the original 1964 airing (when the misfits were not picked up by Santa). But I don't think the Fame & Fortune song came back, if I'm not mistaken. I have CBS recordings from 1988 and 1989 with that song.

What are the chances we see these holiday specials redone in HD? All of these classic holiday specials are still SD only. Can they ever be remastered? Or reanimated.

Several of the holiday specials have been remastered in HD -- that includes "Rudolph", "Frosty", the animated version of "Grinch", and the Peanuts specials for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've seen all of those presented in HD at various times, always, in 4:3 with black bars on the side. I also saw the Mr Magoo version of "Christmas Carol" in HD on the CW a few years back.

On the other hand, I tuned by "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" a few days ago and saw that it did not appear to be remastered, so apparently it is hit or miss.

Classic Media has had the rights to Rudolph for years now. Their logo pops up at the end of the CBS Rudolph...in 4:3 of course. Apparently Freeform brought back a couple of the long-lost scenes when they got tandem rights last year, including Yukon's peppermint mine scene which had been banished since the original 1964 airing (when the misfits were not picked up by Santa). But I don't think the Fame & Fortune song came back, if I'm not mistaken. I have CBS recordings from 1988 and 1989 with that song.
I haven't watched in years but do they still say "Ice Peril Warning" and "We're FrOzen"?

Technically you can do a format conversion, where the NTSC 480i is up-converted to 720P/59.97 fpm or 1080i 29.94 fpm, but that's not considered a remaster, or an aspect ratio conversion. A computer just doubles the amount of scan lines to fit the format. Aspect ratio is trickier, because about all one can do is zoom and stretch the picture from the original 4:3.

I suppose if you scanned the original footage frame by frame, doubled the number of frames, then superimposed the characters onto the proper aspect ratio background, that could be considered a form of remastering. Not sure what benefit all that work would be worth the trouble.

If they go back to the original film and make a new digital copy. It would automatically be HD since film IS high definition. Video tape can not be converted to HD since it was standard definition until the advent of HDTV video. Cropping something is not HD. Nothing looks worse to me is a video tape that has been cropped to 16x9. I refuse to watch it. I want to see what was originally broadcast. Just make a better print of it.
\

If they go back to the original film and make a new digital copy. It would automatically be HD since film IS high definition.

No, 16mm film is 24fps. HD video is 59.94fps (720P or 1080P), and 29.97(1080i)

Video tape can not be converted to HD since it was standard definition until the advent of HDTV video.

No, video tape is converted to HD all the time. It's called up-conversion. Otherwise, there would be no way for a TV station to play archived video. Granted, it isn't native HD, but after conversion, fits the number of resolution lines and frames per second to play as HD format.

Cropping something is not HD. Nothing looks worse to me is a video tape that has been cropped to 16x9. I refuse to watch it. I want to see what was originally broadcast. Just make a better print of it.
\

Aspect ratio alone doesn't determine whether a video is HD or not. Cropping, letter-boxing, stretching/zooming, are all versions of aspect ratio conversion. One can have SD video with 16:9 aspect ratio. Lines of resolution and frame rate, determine whether a video or file conforms as HD.

As I said before. You can't make HD out of a standard definition video tape. You can make a fresh copy. But if it was taped in SD it will always be SD. Just an enchanced video. You can't make something that was never there in the first place. 16mm film can be converted to HD since it is film. It will look a little grainy but still look good. Leaving Las Vegas was filmed in 16mm and is available on Blu Ray in glorious HD. As far as converting to widescreen. The only way that works is if the camera was far enough back to get everything in the frame such as in open matte. Cropping just cuts peoples heads and legs off. Case in point, look at the mess they made of Ed Sullivan. The other day they had the plate spinner and half the time all you could see was a bunch of wobbling sticks. The plates kept getting cut off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom