• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will WABC's Owner Purchase Another Local Station?

Without going down the engineering path, AM skip is a result of the ozone layer acting like a giant mirror reflecting AM signals.
The ozone layer does not reflect radio signals. You are confusing it with the ionosphere, which is at a much greater altitude and is divided into several reflective layers.
The one kilowatt 780 WPTN Cookeville TN control system missed the time chance and really messed with WBBM’s skywave in GA, TN, KY and AL on my car radio last fall for a couple of nights.
WBBM could not possibly care less about nighttime reception in those states. Their relevant market is the greater Chicago metro area, which is where the audience, and therefore, advertisers are.

WBBM could not possibly care less about nighttime reception in those states. Their relevant market is the greater Chicago metro area, which is where the audience, and therefore, advertisers are.
Precisely why the rules need to be changed. Is there still, in today's hyper-local radio business, is there even one station out there that would see its bottom line affected by one penny because DXers hundreds of miles away have a hard time hearing the commercials it airs?

Precisely why the rules need to be changed. Is there still, in today's hyper-local radio business, is there even one station out there that would see its bottom line affected by one penny because DXers hundreds of miles away have a hard time hearing the commercials it airs?
Again, the issue is not, today, with skywave coverage. It is with skywave interference. That nice local signal you have today will be impaired if other stations on the same channel are allowed to relax their directional pattern or increase power.

Groundwave signals propagate better on the low-end of the AM band, such as CBK, KFYR, WNAX, WSCR, KSJB, and KLZ.
Skywave signals, on the other hand, can get out farther with higher frequencies, so KSTP, KXEL, WCKY, and, once they return to full power, KOKC, routinely result in farther catches. And of course, shortwave really takes advantage of this, so that as you continue to go higher, the possible distance increases until you reach about 18 Mhz. As for 1560, it is on the higher end of the band, and therefore the skywave will reflect at higher distances. We have two priority stations: WFME in New York, and KNZR in Bakersfield. The difference between 50kw on 660 WFAN and 50kw on 1560 WFME is so much that a non-directional WFME would be nearly double the skywave of WFAN. (With that being said, however, WFAN is more stable, even if it covers less via skywave). As a result, both KNZR and WFME uses a north-south directional pattern to protect each other, whilst maximizing coverage on their respective coasts. I do think the FCC should let one of them go ND whilst the other one goes sharply directional, but AM is the last thing on their minds today.

And yes, it is the IONOSPHERE, divided into several layers, but the only ones that really matter to Dxers are the D, E, Es, F1, and F2 layers.
D: Absorbs MW during the day, lets it pass through at night.
E: Reflects MW signals at night when the D layer lets up.
Es: Not to be confused with the regular E layer, it reflects FM signals, at times.
F1 and F2: Reflects Shortwave signals. It sets so high in the ionosphere that such signals can cover continents easily.

@CTListener and @DavidEduardo
A commercial station generally doesn't care how many states they can reach at night, but if your station is being stomped on by another station, then your audience will almost certainly tune out if they can't hear your content. Whoops, advertising out the door. In fact, that's probably why the FM counterpart is allowed to broadcast 24/7, even if the AM is a Day-Timer.

Sometimes, the problem carries over to FM. A couple of years ago, Australians were complaining that they couldn't listen to their local station because it had been entirely swallowed by Sporadic E. 🤣 It causes a disruption, and then the Dxers have to explain what E-skip is, and all that jazz.

Luckily, some stations do still care about their skywave signal, and I make a point of supporting them. :)

That nice local signal you have today will be impaired if other stations on the same channel are allowed to relax their directional pattern or increase power.
What “nice local signal”? David, you yourself have noted countless times on these boards the inadequate local coverage of a large majority of nighttime AM signals. The suggestion is to open up nighttime coverage so that the entire relevant market has a good signal that also overcomes any skywave interference.

Of course, let’s admit to ourselves that discussion of “improving AM radio” is a lot like talk of “improving 78 rpm records“.

What “nice local signal”? David, you yourself have noted countless times on these boards the inadequate local coverage of a large majority of nighttime AM signals. The suggestion is to open up nighttime coverage so that the entire relevant market has a good signal that also overcomes any skywave interference.

Of course, let’s admit to ourselves that discussion of “improving AM radio” is a lot like talk of “improving 78 rpm records“.
Today's AM signals, day or night, usually isn't enough to overcome RFI interference, which is harder to put up with than skywave. Although skywave absolutely can kill local signals at times, it usually is sporadic enough that less power can be sufficient. I have a local station, KRAE, that goes to 72 watts at night. It generally dominates the frequency unless I null it off to the south-east, and then KQAM will roll in some days. My other three true locals, KGAB, KFBC, and KVAM, generally does not fall to skywave, although WSM has gotten the best of KGAB (500 watts nights) at times. By the way, KCOL shoots 500 watts in this direction, but I usually do hear something underneath it at night, consistently, but it generally doesn't overtake KCOL.

So I think a signal can be "local" enough to overcome skywave, and be relatively static free, but it takes a lot more to overcome RFI than it does skywave.

In the past the clear channel AMs did care about the skywave coverage. Distant AMs showed up in the ratings and national advertisers would pay for the bigger audience at night. Nowadays they could care less about skywave coverage. Distant listeners can just stream. However, distant stations interfere with local reception. If graveyarders could run 10000 watts they would have the same night coverage area because every other signal would have 10000 watts. I have heard AM stations hundreds of miles away running “high school football power” at night interfere with locals.

The present owner of WABC, pleased with getting that station for $13M, would certainly like to pick up another ready-to-use station for about the same amount of money. But at that price Family Radio would also be interested in snapping up such a station like they did WQBU FM.. Meanwhile the present owner of WLIB, having bought that for something like 40M (my guess at prorating the amount they paid for WLIB in a package deal), isn't yet ready to sell it for $10-15M.

The present owner of WLIB might be in a good position to acquire the 1560 license from Family Radio, diplex it with their WLIB towers (a directional array), and sell the two stations as a package.

I was referring to those AMs that have respectable signals, not the ones that can't even cover their own markets. If you allow another station several states away to go non-directional at night, it will destroy your good local signal station even in its current primary ground wave signal area.

The ozone layer does not reflect radio signals. You are confusing it with the ionosphere, which is at a much greater altitude and is divided into several reflective layers.

I stand corrected. I should have waited another day after my prescribed pain killers wore off. IIRC ozone protects us from some nasty rays from the sun. Ionosphere reflects AM signals and is 30 to 500+ miles up depending in weather. But still if the night time protections were did away with the whole AM band would sound like the local "C" channels. IMHO the only reason to have a class C or D AM station is to "power" a translator. The class D AM's under 1KW daytime might be more economical than a 24 hour class C. power bill wise.

I am not saying WBBM cares about skywave listeners.* But if Cookeville and the other 11 or 12 stations on 780 "ran enough power for a "good signal" at night (1KW or more) at night especially non directional I would bet a Burger King cup of regular coffee that WBBM's signal 30 miles out would be trash at night. I am pretty sure there are PPM's more than 30 miles from the Loop at night that still use 780 instead of their FM. I doubt there is enough money in AM listenership to build any more directional antenna farms to protect 780 in Chicago or any other AM stations..

IMHO the FCC should allow AM's with FM translators to turn in the AM license, and the translator is "protected" (becoming Class A1 or what ever name the FCC comes up with) at current power and height and interference levels. Then who ever is left might have enough "space" to to power up. I kind of like the 1620 and up's 10 KW day 1 KW night. Of course the power would be much lower on the lower Channels.

* Believe it or not, there are still areas of the USA that have limited FM service and spotty cell data. There is not an economical or political reason to change a bunch of rules to serve these areas. So Skywave or Sirius XM is it. I personally will not pay for Sirius XM.

I was referring to those AMs that have respectable signals, not the ones that can't even cover their own markets. If you allow another station several states away to go non-directional at night, it will destroy your good local signal station even in its current primary ground wave signal area.
That's exactly how I see it. I'd imagine if WJAG Norfolk (presently a Day-Timer) accidently stayed on at night, it would cause some interference to WBBM, even in the groundwave area.
I stand corrected. I should have waited another day after my prescribed pain killers wore off.
It's all good :).
But still if the night time protections were did away with the whole AM band would sound like the local "C" channels.
Here's the single most important reason why we need to pay attention to skywave. Although I would imagine that would just make people switch over to FM in a hurry if such a nightmare ever did happen.
I am not saying WBBM cares about skywave listeners.* But if Cookeville and the other 11 or 12 stations on 780 "ran enough power for a "good signal" at night (1KW or more) at night especially non directional I would bet a Burger King cup of regular coffee that WBBM's signal 30 miles out would be trash at night.
Similarly, WBBM's skywave would probably trash some of the closer 780's. However, if you was right within about 5 miles of WBBM, you probably wouldn't notice as much.
I am pretty sure there are PPM's more than 30 miles from the Loop at night that still use 780 instead of their FM. I doubt there is enough money in AM listenership to build any more directional antenna farms to protect 780 in Chicago or any other AM stations.
Yup. FM sounds better, but AM wins the distance war time and time again.
IMHO the FCC should allow AM's with FM translators to turn in the AM license, and the translator is "protected" (becoming Class A1 or what ever name the FCC comes up with) at current power and height and interference levels. Then who ever is left might have enough "space" to to power up. I kind of like the 1620 and up's 10 KW day 1 KW night. Of course the power would be much lower on the lower Channels.
That's interesting. Sort of clear up the AM band in order to allow some stations to relax their patterns! The thing is, that's what clear channels were supposed to do. I think a return of the Day-Timer could be good for this purpose.
Believe it or not, there are still areas of the USA that have limited FM service and spotty cell data.
Tell me about it! Even in the 2020's, I've been on road trips where cell-service has dropped out for a while, but the AM's were still hanging in strong, and the FM's were a bit on the weak side. Quite frankly, even Sirius-XM has dropout zones (but it's less likely).
There is not an economical or political reason to change a bunch of rules to serve these areas. So Skywave or Sirius XM is it. I personally will not pay for Sirius XM.
Nearly $30 for radio is a bit absurd, especially considering that some stations still have advertising on them. However, considering most of SXM is commercial free, I would think $10-15 per month would be good.

That's exactly how I see it. I'd imagine if WJAG Norfolk (presently a Day-Timer) accidently stayed on at night, it would cause some interference to WBBM, even in the groundwave area.

It's all good :).

Here's the single most important reason why we need to pay attention to skywave. Although I would imagine that would just make people switch over to FM in a hurry if such a nightmare ever did happen.

Similarly, WBBM's skywave would probably trash some of the closer 780's. However, if you was right within about 5 miles of WBBM, you probably wouldn't notice as much.

Yup. FM sounds better, but AM wins the distance war time and time again.

That's interesting. Sort of clear up the AM band in order to allow some stations to relax their patterns! The thing is, that's what clear channels were supposed to do. I think a return of the Day-Timer could be good for this purpose.

Tell me about it! Even in the 2020's, I've been on road trips where cell-service has dropped out for a while, but the AM's were still hanging in strong, and the FM's were a bit on the weak side. Quite frankly, even Sirius-XM has dropout zones (but it's less likely).

Nearly $30 for radio is a bit absurd, especially considering that some stations still have advertising on them. However, considering most of SXM is commercial free, I would think $10-15 per month would be good.
Why does any one this matter in this age of streaming? A station probably still needs either an AM or FM frequency as sort of an "anchor" in the local community, but after that streaming is a much better sounding and more reliable way to listen. Most "unlimited" cell phone services provide enough bandwidth to listen 24/7.

To get a better price for SXM, you need to first subscribe, then threaten to quit. The subscription price will drop like a rock.

Why does any one this matter in this age of streaming? A station probably still needs either an AM or FM frequency as sort of an "anchor" in the local community, but after that streaming is a much better sounding and more reliable way to listen. Most "unlimited" cell phone services provide enough bandwidth to listen 24/7.
When I'm at home, or in a city, or on the interstate, I will (and do) stream. However, spotty coverage is sadly a common problem in my state. It's always good to have an alternative in that case.
To get a better price for SXM, you need to first subscribe, then threaten to quit. The subscription price will drop like a rock.
Thanks, I will have to remember this one.

Oh, so 1560 is actually STILL TRANSMITTING? My SDR here in West Haven CT, picks up not even a HINT of a signal on that frequency! (I get all of the other NY stations just fine.) At night, there's a barely discernible signal there. Being a "Clear" channel frequency, I would imagine that it should have a fair bit of value, no? I can see a format geared toward Seniors could work well... especially if it accepts donations from the listeners! I suspect not many ad agencies want to reach Seniors. :(

Oh, so 1560 is actually STILL TRANSMITTING? My SDR here in West Haven CT, picks up not even a HINT of a signal on that frequency! (I get all of the other NY stations just fine.) At night, there's a barely discernible signal there. Being a "Clear" channel frequency, I would imagine that it should have a fair bit of value, no? I can see a format geared toward Seniors could work well... especially if it accepts donations from the listeners! I suspect not many ad agencies want to reach Seniors. :(

1kw into a longwire right now is what 1560 is doing.

It's not a clear channel frquency, not for 1560 NYC.

And i doubt a format like that would work or someone would be doing it

As far as the owner of WABC wanting to buy another station to run as a hobby, that is not without precedent. In New Hampshire there is WGAM formerly WKBR 1250 Manchester, and WGHM 900 in Nashua. In Boston (Cambridge) MA there is (and some of you know from its nice low frequency) WJIB 740. All of these play oldies and do not have sales departments or ad agencies. Cume or ratings cannot be used to evaluate the market price of these stations (or for that matter, of anything Family Radio broadcasts on).

In New Hampshire there is WGAM formerly WKBR 1250 Manchester, and WGHM 900 in Nashua. In Boston (Cambridge) MA there is (and some of you know from its nice low frequency) WJIB 740. All of these play oldies and do not have sales departments or ad agencies. Cume or ratings cannot be used to evaluate the market price of these stations (or for that matter, of anything Family Radio broadcasts on).

You don't have to analyze that deeply. Without a sales department, the market price of these stations, two Class D AM facilities, is $0.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom