• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will Taylor Swift still be popular in 30 years?

First of all; no TV network would be able to afford what TS would want to do such a thing. Second, TS wouldn't go for it because she doesn't need to do anything like that. She has made more money than the entire NFL has made in the past five years. Third, why would you think that Ms. Swift would give a rat's a$$ about convincing someone on an obscure radio board that she's a big deal?
True and also the majority of Taylor Swifts fans found her on YouTube, I heart and Spotify apps.

This is like when Madonna was at her peak in the 1990's the majority of her fans found her on CHR Radio, MTV and VH1.

In the meantime, Taylor's current BF is spending t-giving w/o her:

I promise you that he doesn't care if she can sing.
Guess he'll be spending the night with Rosie Palm & her Five Sisters.

You say Swifts fans don't care about the quality of her singing or music. Why the Cult following then? Nevermind.
The Country already has that problem with a certain political creature...

I would say in the case of Taylor Swift her Popularity far exceeds her Talent.
Your personal opinion.
She obviously has some skill, but I don't hear anything spectacular in her records
Your personal opinion.
Songs that become "Hits" often aren't very good.
Your personal opinion.
The cringe worthy "Judy In Disguise" was a #1 hit in 1968.
Your personal opinion.
The general public often likes rubbish...
Your personal opinion.

Guess he'll be spending the night with Rosie Palm & her Five Sisters.
Unnecessary and kinda' gross. Please don't do that again.
You say Swifts fans don't care about the quality of her singing or music.
You are the one who is the critic. Her fans think her music is good, fun to listen to, enjoyable. I like a lot of her songs, too.
Why the Cult following then? Nevermind.
Because she appeals to their tastes and lifesyles. Again, you are judging by your taste and standards.
The Country already has that problem with a certain political creature...
Again, your opinion. about 48% of the voters in the last election disagree. In current polls, over a dozen of them, even more disagree.

I am hearing an awful lot of "if it isn't specifically meant for me, and I don't get it, it has no merit."

And Boomers wonder why many of the younger generations despise them...SMH. We despise the arrogance. David gets it, which goes to show not all folks over 70 don't get it. Just many. And it sure seems like the folks with the worst opinions (stated as facts) are the loudest. There are several others on this board who I am guessing are in their 60s and above who have thoughtful responses here. But boy are the ones with the hot takes showing their a@#es.

A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America is an interesting and scholarly read. But I fear the folks who most need to see it will not be interested.

I am not in the demographic for sure. But I can respect that she is smart, writes her own songs, controls her catalog and career. She has sold 117MM units and counting, and has been filling stadiums for longer than the Beatles even existed.

I am hearing an awful lot of "if it isn't specifically meant for me, and I don't get it, it has no merit."
In Spanish we have a phrase, "for different tastes we have different colors".

Here is a good case of where the LGBTQ+ community gets it right: they have a rainbow of color on their symbols and flags. To me, that applies everywhere from skin color to favorite foods. Just because I don't like something does not mean it is bad... it just means I have a different taste.

Same goes for radio formats. We have loads of choices, and calling a station "bad" because we don't like it is narrow-visioned.
And Boomers wonder why many of the younger generations despise them...SMH. We despise the arrogance. David gets it, which goes to show not all folks over 70 don't get it. Just many.
Thanks. I work in radio and have done many, many formats, from Country in the US to all-Argentine rock in Buenos Aires. CHR, AC, salsa, merengue, Ecuadorian indigenous / native music, disco, cumbia, rock CHR, all news, all talk, reggaetón/rhythmic and lots of others.

My best experience was working for Tom Rounds and doing Radio Express' Latin Hit Disk for 27 years. I got exposed to all kinds of new music and, as I listened to 30 to 40 new cuts a week, I began to appreciate new genres and styles. Today, I'd rather listen to Bad Bunny or Shakira or Carlos Vives or Taylor Swift or Jason Aldean or Luke Bryan than the stuff I grew up on.
And it sure seems like the folks with the worst opinions (stated as facts) are the loudest. There are several others on this board who I am guessing are in their 60s and above who have thoughtful responses here. But boy are the ones with the hot takes showing their a@#es.
That's the "If I like it, it is good. If I don't it is bad". That dislike for the unfamiliar or unknown is the root of lots of other prejudices.
A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America is an interesting and scholarly read. But I fear the folks who most need to see it will not be interested.
Thanks. That is today's reading. Much appreciated, as I am a boomer (born on the 5th day of that generation!) and often need some introspective.
I am not in the demographic for sure. But I can respect that she is smart, writes her own songs, controls her catalog and career. She has sold 117MM units and counting, and has been filling stadiums for longer than the Beatles even existed.
Well said; that sums it up.

Some of my older favorites are Gilbert Becaud, Gigliola Cinquetti, Pooh, Soda Stereo; those are unknown to most in the US, but are just great music... I'm gonna go on YouTube now and OD on some of those artists! But have to start with the live Paris video of Go Your Own Way.

It is an interesting book. Though, again, you are not the one who "needs" to read it, David. Appreciate the well thought out comments and will check out your musical favorites. I have only heard of Becaud and Pooh. Time to be thankful for all of the great music out there!

My wife has her annual cancer screening about a week before American Thanksgiving every year, so every year she moves further away from her original diagnosis and treatment is a year where we get to be thankful all over again. And I am thankful for this board and the people on it, and remember those we have lost this past year of course.

In Spanish we have a phrase, "for different tastes we have different colors".
Here is a good case of where the LGBTQ+ community gets it right: they have a rainbow of color on their symbols and flags.
Rainbows are for everyone. Co-opting the beauty of nature for a sexual preference or political leaning is nonsense.
The Universal Light Spectrum shines for ALL colors of humanity.

Rainbows are for everyone. Co-opting the beauty of nature for a sexual preference or political leaning is nonsense.
The Universal Light Spectrum shines for ALL colors of humanity.
You missed my point entirely. Translation: variety and differences are a positive thing and those who think to strictly need to open their perspective.

In this case, we are talking about music genres, eras and styles.

It is an interesting book. Though, again, you are not the one who "needs" to read it, David. Appreciate the well thought out comments and will check out your musical favorites. I have only heard of Becaud and Pooh. Time to be thankful for all of the great music out there!
Be sure to listen to Penseiro at
Also look for the original version from the 70's, almost a ballad. Unfortunately, the lovely man who is the drummer in that video passed during the pandemic.
My wife has her annual cancer screening about a week before American Thanksgiving every year, so every year she moves further away from her original diagnosis and treatment is a year where we get to be thankful all over again. And I am thankful for this board and the people on it, and remember those we have lost this past year of course.
Beautiful though and my prayer for the continued journey through life of your wife.

Thanks for the book recommendation and the different bands to check out, @DavidEduardo and @The New Chico! I'll check them out too. I'm not a fan of people who get provincial about music either. I remember reading something online from a DJ once that it's better to try to get into a bunch of different music types than to close yourself off to just music you grew up listening to in high school or college, because you never know when your station might flip formats.

I went through every thread in this post. Not once was a Houston area radio station was mentioned. Come to think of it there weren't any posts about translators or HD stations. What does this topic have to do with this board? Nothing! It's time to close this thread.

I went through every thread in this post. Not once was a Houston area radio station was mentioned. Come to think of it there weren't any posts about translators or HD stations. What does this topic have to do with this board? Nothing! It's time to close this thread.
A better case can be made for moving it to Indirectly Related to Broadcasting. Taylor Swift's popularity isn't limited to Houston, but she is a huge radio presence,

The poster who created the topic did so on this board and it has spawned quite a lively conversation, one that no doubt doesn't interest you. Besides, stream of consciousness is nothing new to this forum.

I’ve had no interest in participating in this thread, but it does show you that there currently isn’t much to talk about on the Houston board. The 97.1 sale and flip is complete. The KROI sale and flip have been delayed yet again, perhaps into July 2024. We await what KYST turns into on January 1. And something will happen to KLAT, but we don’t know what. Not much fodder for discussion at the moment.

I’ve had no interest in participating in this thread, but it does show you that there currently isn’t much to talk about on the Houston board. The 97.1 sale and flip is complete. The KROI sale and flip have been delayed yet again, perhaps into July 2024. We await what KYST turns into on January 1. And something will happen to KLAT, but we don’t know what. Not much fodder for discussion at the moment.
Not even a rogue, over-powered translator to talk about? Are you sure this is the Houston forum?

And Boomers wonder why many of the younger generations despise them...SMH. We despise the arrogance. David gets it, which goes to show not all folks over 70 don't get it. Just many. And it sure seems like the folks with the worst opinions (stated as facts) are the loudest. There are several others on this board who I am guessing are in their 60s and above who have thoughtful responses here. But boy are the ones with the hot takes showing their a@#es.

The book is ranked over 250K on Amazon, and the title itself is laughable in premise.

If it wasn't for Boomers, the modern day ecology movement wouldn't presently exist, alternative energy would still be some unreachable, utopian idea instead of something being promoted and developed as viable, and gay people would probably still be in the closet (Stonewall would not have happened, as it was Boomers who protested at Stonewall). Race relations would be set back about 30-50 years from where they are now, because most of the protesters in the civil rights marches, who got legislation enacted, were older Boomers.

What you are dealing with here on RD, with the more opinionated people whose statements might irk you, isn't because they are "Boomers", but because they are individuals who may be more opinionated on certain subjects than you wish.

I engage with all sorts of people online. Boomers, Gen Jonesers, Gen Xers, older and younger Millennials, and sometimes Gen Z's as well. There are opinionated and often semi-informed bloviators in all of those generational categories. There are also thoughtful and intelligent people in all those generational categories. Confirmation bias is a fact of human nature, and it knows no generational monopoly.

I've already said what I think of Taylor Swift a bunch of times on different threads here. She is a superstar, and superstars generally have some longevity. It goes with the territory.

Back
Top Bottom