• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will old forgotten shows stay on streaming services?

It seems like a lot of streaming services are purging these kinds of shows. Yet, I notice some still remain. For example, the 2010 cartoon Ugly Americans is still on Paramount Plus, and I don't think anyone is still thinking of that show! (Meanwhile the cult classic Mission Hill where my avatar is from is streaming nowhere.) Is there any value of having these kinds of shows?

A show from 2010 is forgotten? Maybe it just wasn't that good to begin with. :unsure:

It was only on for a few seasons (2010-2012).
F Troop, The Addams Family, and The Munsters only ran for two seasons each. They're still alive in reruns and DVD boxed sets, close to 60 years later.

I'm not familiar with Ugly Americans or Mission Hill, so I can't judge their merits, but I would have to guess that they'd air/stream somewhere if it was there was a market for them.

For example, the 2010 cartoon Ugly Americans is still on Paramount Plus,

The original series ran on Comedy Central, owned by Paramount Global. So they may still own the rights.

Typically you can learn a lot about where a show will end up by finding out who owns the rights. For example, Mission Hill is owned by Warner Media. So it might pop up on one of their channels or streaming services at some point.

The original series ran on Comedy Central, owned by Paramount Global. So they may still own the rights.

Typically you can learn a lot about where a show will end up by finding out who owns the rights. For example, Mission Hill is owned by Warner Media. So it might pop up on one of their channels or streaming services at some point.
Could be. There are DVDs of the show, but there are a lot of shows they do not want to pay loyalties for (since they removed some just this year.)

You Tube is a good place to look for TV shows that may not be available on DVD or streaming. They may not always be the best quality, but sometimes it's all that's available. This is unofficial, but there are episodes of Mission Hill available on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/@missionhillfullepisodes4963/videos

On the last MASH Matters podcast they read a letter from someone wanting to know about the availability of After MASH on DVD and they said to their knowledge it wasn't available on DVD or streaming anywhere, but that some episodes were available on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLtFfRyN3QnsFxWwEAACK6SbRLeaHmFTR These are poor quality but it's all that's available.

There's also possibly cheap quality DVD's that are definitely unofficial and possibly illegal and I'd stay away from those.

Last edited:
Could be. There are DVDs of the show, but there are a lot of shows they do not want to pay loyalties for (since they removed some just this year.)

One of the specific issues with Mission Hill was the use of original music in the show. When the DVDs were made, those original songs were replaced with generic music so they don't have to pay additional music fees. But in any TV show, there are residuals that have to be paid to various groups that were involved with making the show. Some of these costs are the very reason you have writers on strike right now. Everybody involved in these shows want to get paid, and consumers want to be able to watch for free,

One of the specific issues with Mission Hill was the use of original music in the show. When the DVDs were made, those original songs were replaced with generic music so they don't have to pay additional music fees.
This is the same problem that happened with WKRP.

Along this same line is Police Squad with Leslie Nielsen available anywhere streaming? There was a DVD at one time and there had been unofficial full episodes on You Tube, but all there is now are clips. With this one I get the impression that the rights holders (Paramount?) had the full episodes pulled even though they aren't doing anything with them.

This is the same problem that happened with WKRP.

Along this same line is Police Squad with Leslie Nielsen available anywhere streaming? There was a DVD at one time and there had been unofficial full episodes on You Tube, but all there is now are clips. With this one I get the impression that the rights holders (Paramount?) had the full episodes pulled even though they aren't doing anything with them.
Youtube has a lot of unofficial full episodes, though I wonder how they get away with that. Home Movies is on there, and it is supposed to stream only on "Max."

One of the specific issues with Mission Hill was the use of original music in the show. When the DVDs were made, those original songs were replaced with generic music so they don't have to pay additional music fees. But in any TV show, there are residuals that have to be paid to various groups that were involved with making the show. Some of these costs are the very reason you have writers on strike right now. Everybody involved in these shows want to get paid, and consumers want to be able to watch for free,
I wonder how much money it costs for WB to relicense the music? Shows like Friends or Dawson's Creek stream and similarly use copyrighted music, but Drew Carey Show and Mission Hill do not (though both aired in syndication in the 00s.)

I wonder how much money it costs for WB to relicense the music? Shows like Friends or Dawson's Creek stream and similarly use copyrighted music, but Drew Carey Show and Mission Hill do not (though both aired in syndication in the 00s.)
Friends was probably expected to be a big money maker in syndication, and has been, Dawson's Creek hasn't

You'd have to ask Shoutcast! how they went about re-licensing about 85% of the music for the WKRP In Cincinnati DVD boxed set. It helps that they had fans willing to pay a bigger price for shows with original music.

It seems like a lot of streaming services are purging these kinds of shows. Yet, I notice some still remain. For example, the 2010 cartoon Ugly Americans is still on Paramount Plus, and I don't think anyone is still thinking of that show! (Meanwhile the cult classic Mission Hill where my avatar is from is streaming nowhere.) Is there any value of having these kinds of shows?
The value is in attracting viewers initially: "Man, these guys have EVERYTHING!"

As we're seeing now, streamers are being fairly aggressive about cutting the stuff nobody (or very few people) watches.

If you're a big player like a Disney, Warner Bros. Discovery, Paramount or Universal, it might be more to your advantage to reduce your storage and streaming costs on marginal shows and monetize them where possible by licensing the streaming rights to smaller niche players or streamers who don't have deep libraries (Amazon, Apple).

There is a company that holds syndication rights to the streaming outlets. One of these companies is FilmRise they syndicate shows to streaming outlets They have the rights from 21 Jump Street (1980's early-1990's edition), The Dick Van Dyke Show and That Girl are some of the ones I seen.

Shout Factory is another of these places where some shows end up for syndication Via YouTube or have the rights sell memorabilia for some shows.

Back
Top Bottom