• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will FREE FM be here by the end of the year?

> I am yet to hear any but from all the negative vibe am
> getting, it sounds like the BRAND (which I can assume was a
> backlash to STERN), is going to die a slow death. Am I
> right?
>
Well I for one love the format. I wish we had a local show here in phoenix but other than that I love it. Carolla is growing on me everyday, The Triplets are just hysterical and have always loved Leykis. So I love it :)

D

I think we have to look at this 2 ways, should it be here in a year and will it be here in a year. From the content I have heard so far, no it shouldn't be on the air in a year. But will it be on a year from now, yes, because CBS Radio has stuck a ton of time and effort into this for them to admit they are wrong so fast.

> right?
>

> I think we have to look at this 2 ways, should it be here in
> a year and will it be here in a year. From the content I
> have heard so far, no it shouldn't be on the air in a year.
> But will it be on a year from now, yes, because CBS Radio
> has stuck a ton of time and effort into this for them to
> admit they are wrong so fast.

Many of the FreeFMs were around long before the new branding, and have done well. Just new imaging... FreeFM in Dallas, LA, et al aren't going away anytime soon. As to the Frees in NYC and the like, maybe if they weren't programmed so horribly they'd do fine. Don't blame the format, blame the weak talents of DLR, RadioChick, etc.

> right?
>
I think we have a “spinning top” situation here. It takes time for things to stabilize. Right now it’s a big “wobble==” the talent is smarter than you think. You only hear them in character, not real life. True, they all want to be the next Stern, and will resort to foolishness and stunting, but I hope they will calm down and make better use of the airtime. Otherwise the stations will go belly up and we will have to put up with more plastic religious stations. Yes, the power of organized religion must not be ignored. They want the bandwidth. Especially prime locations, like those used by FREE FM. Just check out the FCC website and look at all the transactions! Why do you think we have new obscenity laws? Smaller station owners have already sold, out of fear, not being able to afford a profanity delay, or fines. (Not off topic here, this one fits like a glove). (More)

“What makes Superman a hero is not that he has power, but that he has the wisdom and maturity to use the power wisely.”
Christopher Reeve

> > I am yet to hear any but from all the negative vibe am
> > getting, it sounds like the BRAND (which I can assume was
> a
> > backlash to STERN), is going to die a slow death. Am I
> > right?
> >
> Well I for one love the format. I wish we had a local show
> here in phoenix but other than that I love it. Carolla is
> growing on me everyday, The Triplets are just hysterical and
> have always loved Leykis. So I love it :)
>
> D
>

Maybe you have a better sounding Free FM in Phoenix than we do in New York. Maybe the hosts are fun to listen to there. In New York, they sound like they are all over the place and lack the necessary chemistry when working together on the air. Maybe this will change in time.

As to whether Free FM will be around in a year, if it continues to sound as it currently does on 92.3 I have my doubts however as is the case with Jack, CBS Radio will not give up that easy. Even if they wind up with three FM stations that are not making money, they will find a way to justify what they are doing from an image standpoint.

Who knows how much money they are putting towards this format.

> Maybe you have a better sounding Free FM in Phoenix than we
> do in New York. Maybe the hosts are fun to listen to there.
> In New York, they sound like they are all over the place
> and lack the necessary chemistry when working together on
> the air. Maybe this will change in time.

Right, because the morons at CBS' New York cluster thought they could bring in would-be hacks and past failures to fill a lineup rather than established talk shows like Mancow or Tom Leykis. Heaven forbid we'd actually hire someone with 35 years of radio experience syndicated by our own company when we could hire a habitually failed mediawhore would left for satradio when no one would hire her until we came calling. I've tried listening... pl... eeeez... come quick... help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom