• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wild 101.1 (KWYD) Boise, Idaho isn't like what it was back then.

I mean, the station still showcased hip hop music, but many of the classic hip hop songs on that station now shifted towards the 2000s to the early 2010s. Wild 101 was a pioneer for hip hop and R&B music in Boise when it launched in 2008. Wild 101 had live mixes daily up until 2016-17. The station started shifting towards pop music more around late 2011 with Bruno Mars, Adele, and solo Rihanna singles.

In 2010, the station showcased classic hip hop music known as Old School Friday from 8 AM to 10 AM Friday mornings and had a Friday night throwback club mix live from the now defunct nightclub Montego Bay. In late 2011, Wild 101 started airing classic hip hop music at 3 PM with three songs by request. However it dropped in mid-2012 after the station started the most memorable hourly top hour block known as Back in the Day Double Play, showcasing classic hip hop and R&B. It was a success alongside with a new commercial-free block known as the 101 Minute Nonstop Music Jams. I used to listen to this station every night for old school music. But around early to mid-2013, the station started shifting away classic hip hop music in the evenings. There was still Old School Friday, but stopped doing the live club mix at Montego Bay in 2012 in favor of club mix of modern songs. In late January 2014 was the worst time for the station. The Back in the Day Double Play top hour block was discontinued altogether. The Old School Friday was the only time when classic hip hop aired in the Boise market. It became the saddest time for the station in the third Friday of March of 2014 when they started adding today's music during the Old School hours and phased out numerous songs what Old School Friday used to air what Back in the Day Double play don't usually air. That was when I started losing interest in hip hop music and started listening more of J-105 KJOT (Now Jack FM) and 100.3 The X KQXR than Wild 101.

However, Wild 101 reintroduced classic hip hop music around 2016-2017 with the Throwback Lunch, which still airs today, and it airs at noon. However, it now rarely played music from the 1990s, and added Kanye West, T.I., and Drake, as well as early trap music. I will list down the songs I still remembered playing on the top hour block and the Old School Friday block.

Back in the Day Double Play

1980s
-Beastie Boys - (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!) (Licensed to Ill) 1986
-Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey (Licensed to Ill) 1987
-LL Cool J - I Need Love (Bigger and Deffer) 1987
-LL Cool J - Going Back to Cali (Walking with a Panther) 1988
-Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two (It Takes Two) 1988
-Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - Joy and Pain (It Takes Two) 1988
-Biz Markie - Just a Friend (The Biz Never Sleeps) 1989

1990s
-LL Cool J - Around the Way Girl (Mama Said Knock You Out) 1990
-Bel Biv DeVoe - Poison (Poison) 1990
-Naughty by Nature - O.P.P. (Naughty by Nature) 1991
-TLC - Baby Baby Baby (Ooooooohhh... On the TLC Tip) 1992
-Dr. Dre - Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang (The Chronic) 1992
-Paperboy - Ditty (The Nine Yards) 1992
-Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice (Doggystyle) 1994
-Snoop Dogg - What's My Name (Doggystyle) 1993
-Tupac - Keep Ya Head Up (Strictly 4 My N.*.*.*.*.*...) 1993
-Tupac - I Get Around (Strictly 4 My N.*.*.*.*.*...) 1993
-The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy (Ready to Die) 1994
-The Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa (Ready to Die) 1994
-TLC - Waterfalls (CrazySexyCool) 1994
-Tupac - California Love (All Eyez on Me) 1996
-Tupac - 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted (All Eyez on Me) 1996
-Tupac - How Do U Want It (All Eyez on Me) 1996
-The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize (Life After Death) 1997
-The Notorious B.I.G. - Mo Money Mo Problems (Life After Death) 1997
-Next - Too Close (Rated Next) 1998
-Eminem - My Name Is (The Slim Shady LP) 1999
-Dr. Dre - The Next Episode (2001) 1999
-Dr. Dre - Forgot about Dre (2001) 1999
-Dr. Dre - Still Dre (2001) 1999
-TLC - No Scrubs (FanMail) 1999

2000s

-Jay-Z - Big Pimpin' (Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter) 2000
-Eminem - The Real Slim Shady (The Marshall Mathers LP) 2000

There's more songs I remembered hearing on that station. I will include songs from Old School Friday later.

There were actually more songs on the Back in the Day Double Play block that I remembered hearing than on the list above, but I knew there were many songs that didn't air on Back in the Day Double play, but were exclusive to Old School Friday until March 2014 when they started adding today's music into the Old School Friday hours (8 AM-10 AM). They were even songs that aired on Wild 101 going back as early as the 1970s on Old School Friday including Rick James and The Sugarhill Gang.

Songs that were exclusive to Old School Friday

1970s
-Rick James - Mary Jane (Come Get It!) 1978
-The Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight (Sugarhill Gang) 1979
-Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Off the Wall) 1979

1980s
-Prince - 1999 (1999) 1982
-Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (Thriller) 1983
-Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Thriller) 1983
-Michael Jackson - Human Nature (Thriller) 1983
-Beastie Boys - Hold It Now, Hit It (Licensed to Ill) 1986
-Cameo - Candy (Word Up!) 1986
-Keith Sweat - I Want Her (Make It Last Forever) 1987
-Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel (Don't Be Cruel) 1988
-Bobby Brown - My Prerogative (Don't Be Cruel) 1988
-Bobby Brown - Roni (Don't Be Cruel) 1988
-Bobby Brown - Every Little Step (Don't Be Cruel) 1989
-Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff - Parents Just Don't Understand (He's a DJ, I'm the Rapper) 1988
-Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West (How Ya Like Me Now) 1988

I'll include the 1990s later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom