• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHYY-FM HD Gone

Really won't make much of a difference. They didn't utilize their HD side channels at all. Plus all of the South Jersey simulcast stations aren't in HD either. So the HD may be gone for good.

They at one point had an alternate program stream on one of their channels, but unfortunately dropped that some years ago

They at one point had an alternate program stream on one of their channels, but unfortunately dropped that some years ago
Yeah, I forget exactly what it was (reruns of main channel programs? BBC Newshour round the clock?). It's a shame, as other NPR stations have some great HD2 programming. But like any business, if it's costing money...

I wonder what running HD generally costs per month. The initial investment was huge, I assume, but what's done is done; they can't expect to recoup any of that at this point. Makes me wonder what will become of all the dormant equipment.

I wonder what running HD generally costs per month. The initial investment was huge, I assume, but what's done is done; they can't expect to recoup any of that at this point. Makes me wonder what will become of all the dormant equipment.
Not sure how much it costs to continue to run. Also, as a non-commercial station, they COULD rent out an HD side channel and make money that way, but the HD side would have to be non-commercial too, so the renter would have trouble making money.

@ @the stars ....
Too many stations!
The smallest listed market I can locate, Grand Forks ND, # 262, has 31 'local' stations listed on Radio-Locator.
Our semi-local Williamsport PA market (# 256) has 33.

It's not a tremendous amount of money once you get going, but the upfront cost/licensing is a big hurdle. A non-comm I am familiar with wants to add HD in order to feed a translator but the licensing terms seem to be causing grief.

Arguably, the cost is more in logistics than it is HD, as we saw with Audacy. By turning off a bunch of music HD subchannels, they are saving on automation, music licensing, and the HD subchannel license. Those costs add up in a company with hundreds of stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom