• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why TSL May Be Trending Down

> Ever wonder why Time Spent Listening may be trending dow for
> some demographics? Read this:
>
http://www.ug> o.com/channels/music/features/backtrack/10_17_05/default.asp
>
Is that Howard Stern in that picture?when was it taken?

> > Is that Howard Stern in that picture?when was it taken?
> >
>
> See "Private Parts" my friend...
>
Allright thanks,never saw that movie,the picture looked odd to me.

> Ever wonder why Time Spent Listening may be trending dow for
> some demographics? Read this:
>
http://www.ug> o.com/channels/music/features/backtrack/10_17_05/default.asp
>

(sigh) I *love* it when people go on a personal rant and think they are good writers. This writer was either a)shunned by radio somehow; i.e. wasn't talented enough, b) was a lousy sales rep, or c)wants to show off how tech savy they are. Notice he mentions how mp3 players = good, radio = bad. Then he mentions how mp3 players = bad, radio = bad. Even when accentuating radio's good features, there's a negative switch to it. He must have been too busy switching between his Ipod and Sirius to give internet radio a mention.

Radio may never be the giant it once was, however, just like books are still around, radio will be too. All this HD hype aside;it's free, some people DO want to hear what roads are blocked and what turn the weather may take becuase they don't happen to be near a TV, and some people actually find the songs and talk entertaining on occasion.
<P ID="signature">______________
-DK</P>

I did not find the guy's case very persuasive, but I don't know him and I don't know his motives. Part of radio's problem may be: (1) The tendency of too many radio people to go into attack mode when criticized and to make up things about their critics background, personalities and motives; rather than deal with the substance of their comments. (2) The fact that too many radio people are in denial about long-term declines in audiences and revenues. (Not unusual: The railroads and the telegraph companies did pretty much the same thing.)

Radio is an 85 year old technology. What, you thought it would last forever? There will always be some sort of audio medium. It may or may not have much similarity to broadcast radio.

Even more than the technology, programming is making radio irrelevant. Radio has only itself to blame for that.

Yes, radio is free. I remember when the TV people were saying nobody would pay for TV. Of course, when radio is left with only listeners who won't pay, they have the audience least attractive to advertisers (who do pay).

By the way: The companies that provide traffic reports to radio stations have already decided radio is the past and are pushing customized traffic alerts through cellphones and GPS systems. Same with weather.

And the audience for talk radio has declined, possibly because it has become typified by the same kind of personal attack represented here.

>
> (sigh) I *love* it when people go on a personal rant and
> think they are good writers. This writer was either
> a)shunned by radio somehow; i.e. wasn't talented enough, b)
> was a lousy sales rep, or c)wants to show off how tech savy
> they are. Notice he mentions how mp3 players = good, radio =
> bad. Then he mentions how mp3 players = bad, radio = bad.
> Even when accentuating radio's good features, there's a
> negative switch to it. He must have been too busy switching
> between his Ipod and Sirius to give internet radio a
> mention.
>
> Radio may never be the giant it once was, however, just like
> books are still around, radio will be too. All this HD hype
> aside;it's free, some people DO want to hear what roads are
> blocked and what turn the weather may take becuase they
> don't happen to be near a TV, and some people actually find
> the songs and talk entertaining on occasion.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom