• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why is a federal appeals court beating a dead horse over 1500 AM in Los Angeles

I'm wondering that myself. This guy, who's in L.A., has featured it in many of his antique radio restoration videos. For example, at 29:00 in this one:

It's in the Expanded Band, because some old radios don't go high enough to tune it in.
"Some old radios" is an interesting phrase. The only "old" radios capable of receiving the expanded band are old marine band radios. I had one when I was a kid and thought it was really cool that I could hear 1590 so clearly, not realizing why.

"Some old radios" is an interesting phrase. The only "old" radios capable of receiving the expanded band are old marine band radios. I had one when I was a kid and thought it was really cool that I could hear 1590 so clearly, not realizing why.
Unless they get REALLY old. My parents had a "tombstone" radio that said "police" above 1600. I think they used to actually dispatch their cars (one way) in that band. I tried to google it but of course "police band" only comes up with songs from Sting & company.

Dave B.

Unless they get REALLY old. My parents had a "tombstone" radio that said "police" above 1600. I think they used to actually dispatch their cars (one way) in that band. I tried to google it but of course "police band" only comes up with songs from Sting & company.

Dave B.
Many major brand AM radios from the 30s and 40s typically tuned up to about 1750 or so to capture the police dispatch band. Here in Los Angeles 1712 kHz was one of the frequencies for central LA. This was in use until the very early 70s. The SFV divisions used different freqs.

It doesn't look good for that KSPA station on 1510 kHz that complained about them, either. They lost the lease to their transmitter site and have been using a 10-watt TIS transmitter and a 13-foot rooftop antenna since 2021.

And speaking of which, that "today is a great day" TIS on around 1700 kHz in L.A. has been off the air since late last year.
Idaho Transportation Dept. shut off all of their TIS stations a few years ago. They had just been built by a previous director (he retired?)
"Nobody knew how to use them."

Idaho Transportation Dept. shut off all of their TIS stations a few years ago. They had just been built by a previous director (he retired?)
"Nobody knew how to use them."
I remember reading a story about a TIS that the town it was licensed to had lost access to, but it stayed on the air because it was running on solar power.

I remember reading a story about a TIS that the town it was licensed to had lost access to, but it stayed on the air because it was running on solar power.
I think you might be remembering this story from a couple of years ago, a TIS in DC set up for the Obama inauguration still broadcasting road closures for the event several years later:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom