• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why I Like WEZV Easy Radio in Myrtle Beach

BlueHen

Inactive
Inactive User
First I should say that I received an e-mail from WEZV. Therefore, I retract my statement in another post about WEZV not responding to questions.

It should please the instrumental enthusiasts among us that WEZV plans to work some of those great instrumentals they were known for back into their rotation. One particular song I always liked was a neat upbeat number called "Happy Feet" by Tom Grant. You can listen to it here:

http://www.imeem.com/people/cJYnru1/music/cgkm4T2T/tom_grant_happy_feet/

That'll get your toes tappin'. This was typical of the music mix on Easy Radio about two years ago... some unusual instrumentals sounding more smooth jazz-like than what you would hear on an urban-leaning smooth jazz station. Another example was "Coast Highway" by Carlos Reyes. Yet you would also hear some familiar songs from the beautiful music library, such as Paul Mauriat's version of "San Francisco" and James Last. I'd like to see them bring all these back.

To complement the discussion about vocals in that recent Contemporary Instrumentals thread, WEZV always seemed to get it right. Sure, they play the true standards and well-known MOR hits, but I thought what set WEZV apart from the mediocrity of soft AC stations was their selection of non-hits...
"If Love Is Real" Randy Edelman
"Deliver Me" and "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" Sarah Brightman
"Maybe It's You" Karen Carpenter
"All I Have" Beth Nielsen Chapman
"All Love Can Be" Charlotte Church
"I Have A Dream" Abba
"You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)" Josh Groban
"Let There Be Love" Anne Murray
"Midnight Blue" Louise Tucker
"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" Michael Buble
and some song about a train by Mary Chapin Carpenter

These, along with the aforementioned instrumentals, the Sinatra/Como/Mathis/Cole/Martin/Williams material, and classic pop hits from the '50s & '60s, such as "Beyond The Sea" by Bobby Darin, "Catch The Wind" by Donovan, "Turn Turn Turn" by the Byrds, "Only Love Can Break A Heart" by Gene Pitney, "There I've Said It Again" by Bobby Vinton, and "To Sir With Love" by Lulu, make Easy Radio just the right blend.

If I had to change the station in any way, I'd throw in more of the instrumentals, go deeper in resurrecting some of those long-forgotten pop hits, and add a dash of light country.

Listened this morning, Saturday March 14. Nice to hear something like "Bless The Beasts & Children" by the Carpenters, since "Close To You," "We've Only Just Begun," and "Rainy Days & Mondays" tend to be in the over-saturation category. They should try adding their first single, "Ticket To Ride" or their country cross-over hit "Sweet Sweet Smile." Likewise, "Sam" by Olivia Newton-John... leave "I Honestly Love You" or "Have You Never Been Mellow" on the shelf for a rest. Other good ONJ additions might be "Come On Over," another country cross-over, or "Don't Stop Believin'."

Overall, not bad - Simon & Garfunkel "Scarborough Fair," Andy Williams "Almost There," Connie Francis "Where The Boys Are" - enjoyable MOR hits not heard anywhere else, but I heard none of those instrumentals mentioned. Did hear the usual ho-hum stuff like Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love Of All," which, I guess, there's no getting away from on a station such as this, BUT, BUT, BUT... Michael Bolton's "When A Man Loves A Woman" has absolutely no place whatsoever on an "easy" format.

BlueHen said:
and some song about a train by Mary Chapin Carpenter

If that Mary Chapin Carpenter song mentions billboards in a field and a truck up on cinderblocks missing all its wheels, it's "I Am A Town," which she wrote, from her 1992 album Come On Come On. It's also on her Essential series CD.

Otto Maddock said:
Listened this morning, Saturday March 14. Nice to hear something like "Bless The Beasts & Children" by the Carpenters, since "Close To You," "We've Only Just Begun," and "Rainy Days & Mondays" tend to be in the over-saturation category. They should try adding their first single, "Ticket To Ride" or their country cross-over hit "Sweet Sweet Smile." Likewise, "Sam" by Olivia Newton-John... leave "I Honestly Love You" or "Have You Never Been Mellow" on the shelf for a rest. Other good ONJ additions might be "Come On Over," another country cross-over, or "Don't Stop Believin'."

Overall, not bad - Simon & Garfunkel "Scarborough Fair," Andy Williams "Almost There," Connie Francis "Where The Boys Are" - enjoyable MOR hits not heard anywhere else, but I heard none of those instrumentals mentioned. Did hear the usual ho-hum stuff like Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love Of All," which, I guess, there's no getting away from on a station such as this, BUT, BUT, BUT... Michael Bolton's "When A Man Loves A Woman" has absolutely no place whatsoever on an "easy" format.
Michael Bolton???

This station IS going downhill. I haven't heard him in years on my stations.

There should be a lot more Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Perry Como in that description.

A couple of things I forgot to say earlier. I haven't heard an instrumental cover on WEZV in at least three years. I heard one instrumental which was a hit song during the entire time I was in range in 2007, but none in 2008. Amazingly, the station seemed more AC before WYEZ started up than it did after that station was gone, which was a relief. It's understandable, I suppose, that they were less AC when WYEZ was on the air.

But one article called the station "soft adult contemporary" and I contacted the writer and told him why that was wrong. He said according to Arbitron, the station WAS soft adult contemporary, which makes no sense. But he understood my argument.

With Star having apparently crossed over to Hot AC, I'm worried.

Do they have live personalities, or is this a WDUV like jukebox?

MsMusicRadio said:
I wish. When Kelli Dison comes on I have to change stations. She has the most annoying voice. It's my chance to see what else is going on. In the car I've had nearly two years, that means "Scan".

I'm only 43, but these guys have something going for them! I'm listening online tonight for over a half-hour now and by and large can relate to most of the music played. I can see where this could work in other markets if it's done properly. Personally, I like the mix of traditional jazz/big band with the lighter songs. One thing the station/s might want to do is sponsor a dance at a local dance hall or nightclub. About the only suggest is to add live announcers and to maybe add certain appropriate album cuts not normally heard on almost any station. I could see where this format could work in the Washington DC area. I think 94.7 could benefit better from going to such a format than going to the more current intensive AC format that they plan to go to in a few days.

vchimpanzee said:
MsMusicRadio said:
I wish. When Kelli Dison comes on I have to change stations. She has the most annoying voice. It's my chance to see what else is going on. In the car I've had nearly two years, that means "Scan".

Oh, come on. Kelli is fine. I'd much rather hear things like the stupid criminal of the day than just a straight jukebox. (To answer the original question, yes, WEZV has live personalities). In fact, I wish the jocks on this station would engage in more conversation. This is the reason I choose the radio over CDs. I'm looking forward to the technology that puts internet streaming in the car. Sirius-XM's easy listening channels suffer from their lack of a human element and tend to be a bit droning. (What satellite radio ought to do is carry broadcast stations from around the country).

klutch00 said:
One thing the station/s might want to do is sponsor a dance at a local dance hall or nightclub.

I think they do maintain an active presence in the area. Not sure about dances, but I have heard spots for personal appearances at malls, parades, cooking contests, etc. Plus, they run a few trips with listeners.

If I had to fault the station in any way, it would be for the lack of a newscast on the weekend (...and for playing Michael Bolton's "When A Man Loves A Woman").

Otto Maddock said:
Oh, come on. Kelli is fine.
Maybe to you. I can't stand her.

I heard a woman with a more pleasant style during commercial breaks last year.

I wish we could edit our posts a week later. This site doesn't make it easy for people to check what they've done unless they remember to click on "preview". Which I never remember to.

I think they do maintain an active presence in the area. Not sure about dances, but I have heard spots for personal appearances at malls, parades, cooking contests, etc. Plus, they run a few trips with listeners.

If I had to fault the station in any way, it would be for the lack of a newscast on the weekend (...and for playing Michael Bolton's "When A Man Loves A Woman").
I just 'threw that out' as a suggestion. If they're doing the other sort of stuff you mentioned, that's a good thing.

Friday, I don't remember which song it was. I just remember Michael Bolton was blasting from the speakers.

I stopped by a mall on my way home. I hadn't eaten or drunk anything since eating lunch sometime around 12:30, and if I left that mall right then, I would be on time for "Jeopardy", though I do tape it just in case. I did miss Steve Hartman on CBS, but I tape him too after what happened last year.

It was pouring down rain, however ... with lightning. What to do, what to do?

I first discovered the lightning when I thought someone was taking pictures, but there was a window in the ceiling. Actually, there were photos being taken--of kids with the Easter Bunny.

I dreamed last night that they brought back "Yes" radio, but on 102.5 FM. Don't ask me what they were doing there, rather than 105.9. Dreams aren't supposed to make sense.

vchimpanzee said:
I dreamed last night that they brought back "Yes" radio, but on 102.5 FM. Don't ask me what they were doing there, rather than 105.9. Dreams aren't supposed to make sense.

Much like you.

Thanks so much Bluehen for posting about this station. I just discovered it today. I very much enjoy their soft relaxing mix of music. There should be more stations like this. I consider them a national treasure.

My favorite songs I heard them play were Michael Johnson-Bluer Than Blue and Olivia Newton John-Don't Stop Believen' (oh wow!).

Jay F said:
Thanks so much Bluehen for posting about this station. I just discovered it today. I very much enjoy their soft relaxing mix of music. There should be more stations like this. I consider them a national treasure.

My favorite songs I heard them play were Michael Johnson-Bluer Than Blue and Olivia Newton John-Don't Stop Believen' (oh wow!).
I like "Bluer Than Blue" but I'm not familiar with the Olivia Newton-John song. It's not the Journey song, is it?

The standards station I listen to the most had a different satellite format a few years back. I'm not sure whether this was the satellite or the afternoon DJ, but they played the Journey song. The owner of the station played what could probably be called standards in the morning, and still does, but after that the song was a curious mix of all different styles. I think they hired the chimp my name refers to. Now that mix has found its way into what is called Timeless. So far, they don't get any worse than "Lights". I know the old satellite format had "Faithfully".

Speaking of Olivia Newton-John, her "Have You Never Been Mellow" was playing in the teen hangout in a movie I watched where the teens were being brainwashed. In another scene they were listening to a woman singing "Danke Schoen". At the mental hospital where the brainwashing actually took place, they were playing Barry Manilow's "I Can't Smile without You". The "normal" teens were listening to this terrible evil rock music. What exactly does this movie say about us?

By the way, Jay F, would you enjoy WEZV if they still played more instrumentals like they used to? That's the way I liked it.

No, the Olivia song is different from the Journey song with the same title. I love all 70s era ONJ, including "Have You Never Been Mellow". It sounds better to me than ever. She had such well crafted soft pop songs plus I apprecate her feminine spirit, that is something difficult to find in today's culture.

I got really burned out on the Journey song when it was a current off the Escape album in 1981. Although I read that it's a highly downloaded song, mostly from young people who have discovered it recently (it must have been in a movie?) Although I am still burned on it from the early 80s I can totally understand the appeal it has to young people now discovering it.

For my personal preferences I don't like to hear any Journey on AC (although if they test they should be playing them of course) yet I love hearing early Journey on classic rock such as "Stone In Love/Anytme" "Wheel In The Sky", "Just The Same Way" and more.

Yes, I would still enjoy WEZV if they played instrumentals. I always did like the lush instrumentals Easy Listening stations used to play. I would like it more now because you never hear them anymore.

The only category of music I don't care for too much on WEZV are some of the standards. As much as I love 60s MOR and 70s AC, I don't enjoy standards especially Frank Sinatra, he had too much swagger. WEZV played Sinatra's "Without A Song" and it was the only song I didn't like when I sampled them. Is Andy Williams considered standards? How about Perry Como? I do like those artists, maybe it's only Sinatra that sounds bad to me and not standards as a whole.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom