• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why Hasn't Sports Moved to FM in LA?

I'm amazed KABC is still paying for one local show, John Phillips from noon to 3 p.m. And the station still has local newscasters during weekday mornings, middays and afternoons. The rest of the schedule is syndicated talk shows from co-owned Westwood One: Dan Bongino, Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh, Michael Knowles, Red Eye Radio and America in The Morning. They all can say that they get cleared in Market #2. KABC doesn't run Mark Levin because he's on Salem's KRLA.

It is hard to believe that KABC was consistently #1 in the 1970s with its Talk Radio line up. And KFWB 980 was in the top 5 as an All-News station. Now the LA market has expanded and changed to the point that neither station gets a full 1.0 rating, regardless of what format they air. I guess "Mera Mera" KFWB, a sort of Regional Mexican Oldies outlet, a classic Mariachi station, gets decent ratings for a 5,000 watt AM.

It is hard to believe that KABC was consistently #1 in the 1970s with its Talk Radio line up. And KFWB 980 was in the top 5 as an All-News station. Now the LA market has expanded and changed to the point that neither station gets a full 1.0 rating, regardless of what format they air. I guess "Mera Mera" KFWB, a sort of Regional Mexican Oldies outlet, a classic Mariachi station, gets decent ratings for a 5,000 watt AM.
The LA market has not expanded geographically, but since the 70's lots of "farther out" population growth has been in the eastern San Gabriel Valley, northern and western San Fernando Valley, the Santa Clara Clarita area, the OC from Irvine southward and the high desert (Lancaster-Palmdale) all of which are in the standard LA market definition.

KABC battles low power and vastly higher man made noise levels, so its usable coverage today is about half of what it was 25 or 30 years ago. And the area it does cover is much more ethnic, particularly Asian and Hispanic, groups unlikely to like Dan Bongino, for example.

KFWB has perfect coverage for the market's HDHA areas, so the signal is perfect for that population group.

Last edited:
The LA market has not expanded geographically, but since the 70's lots of "farther out" population growth has been in the eastern San Gabriel Valley, northern and western San Fernando Valley, the Santa Clara area, the OC from Irvine southward and the high desert (Lancaster-Palmdale) all of which are in the standard LA market definition.
I do hope you meant Santa Clarita. Santa Clara is 350 miles north in Silicon Valley (aka the Santa Clara Valley).

I do hope you meant Santa Clarita. Santa Clara is 350 miles north in Silicon Valley (aka the Santa Clara Valley).
Yes. Santa Clarita. I just got my spell checker to not try to change it back.

I finally disabled autocorrect on my Mac. It was trying to kill me on pretty much a daily basis. The final straw---in an e-mail to the GM last week, I said "you've made the right choices".

Apple thought "the fright choices" would be better.
I disabled autocorrect years ago for that same reason. I leave spellcheck on, but it only highlights words it thinks might be wrong but doesn't change them behind my back. If I goofed, or fat-fingered the keyboard, that gives me a fighting chance to catch and correct the typo. But at least half the time, I've mistyped a word with another legitimate one, and spellcheck is useless for catching those.

Back
Top Bottom