• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

why doesn't the old christmas astists do well all year

Gunsmoke

Banned
I meant artists lol....It seems during the Christmas music season you hear many Standard artists and tunes. Music from the late 40's up to the 90's. Dean, Burl, Frank, Nat, Gene and hundreds more. These singers and music bring super high ratings to these stations. My question is why wouldn't a full time format playing this standard older music and artists draw just as big numbers as when they are recording Christmas tunes. I know many listeners who tune into the B, OGL or any other Christmas station weren't born when these people were recording, but they embraces them. That throws the not sell-able, too old audience theory out the window.

People remember those songs from their childhood because they bring back memories of childhood, parents/grandparents being alive, etc, etc, even if their childhood was a couple of decades after the songs were originally recorded. You can be born in the 90s and have heard Andy Williams "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" all your life, but not have ever heard "Canadian Sunset" nor be inclined to look it up on Spotify. All there is to it really. There are no warm childhood memories for a 90s kid with Perry Como singing "Seattle"

People are tuning in for the format. The artists are pretty much secondary. Listeners who are in their 20's, 30's, and 40's can love every song on Bing's Christmas album but likely haven't heard anything else he ever recorded (and they almost certainly don't want to).

Dunno about that 'almost certainly don't want to' clause, Miguelito. My Dad might have been the individual after whom Archie Bunker was created -- and I was his Meathead. The music gap between Dad & I was ridiculous. When he and Mom visited us, I had some problems locating leisure music to play which all of us liked.
I eventually found that 'magic mix'. Nat King Cole, Eddy Arnold, Mario Lanza and (who else?) Bing Crosby.

Well anyway, as anecdotal as that may be, it was still me, a rock-and-roll/rock kid, enjoying their stuff.
Der Bingle included :) Crosby may indeed have been the original King Of All Media.

I agree with and enjoy your posts here. This Philadelphia Radio-Discussions board always has had some r e a l l y good, expressive contributors.

Dunno about that 'almost certainly don't want to' clause, Miguelito. My Dad might have been the individual after whom Archie Bunker was created -- and I was his Meathead. The music gap between Dad & I was ridiculous. When he and Mom visited us, I had some problems locating leisure music to play which all of us liked.
I eventually found that 'magic mix'. Nat King Cole, Eddy Arnold, Mario Lanza and (who else?) Bing Crosby.

Well anyway, as anecdotal as that may be, it was still me, a rock-and-roll/rock kid, enjoying their stuff.
Der Bingle included :) Crosby may indeed have been the original King Of All Media.

I agree with and enjoy your posts here. This Philadelphia Radio-Discussions board always has had some r e a l l y good, expressive contributors.

There's always gonna be exceptions...but I wouldn't want to be programming to the exceptions. :) I enjoy your posts as well!

I know many listeners who tune into the B, OGL or any other Christmas station weren't born when these people were recording, but they embraces them. That throws the not sell-able, too old audience theory out the window.

Traditional Christmas music by artists of an older generation are part of the spirit of Christmas, and the tradition is built upon in nearly every "traditional" American household each year and reinforced in every store and mall and Christian church.

Nobody is keeping alive the tradition of all those other Doris Day and Perry Como and Nat "King" Cole songs every year. Most of us under 70 or so have heard very few of them and like even fewer.

We like the Christmas songs as part of the Christmas feeling and experience. They are part of an overall mood created by santas, tinsel, lights, reindeer and gift wrapping as well as Christmas Eve, Christmas dinner, visiting friends, exchanging gifts. Those songs are the nutmeg to the seasonal eggnog.

And lest we forget, a lot of the traditions and experiences described fit mostly with traditional white Americans... and are either modified or totally different among Black, Hispanic, Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu and other households where cultural heritage or language or race put a different perspective on the celebration of Christmas... and where it becomes just a sales holiday for merchants.

I agree with you 100% Even though I'm too young to remember when most of the classics were originally recorded, I'd rather hear the old bands, orchestras and crooners any day of the week and some of the butchered up atrosities that I hear played on christmas stations. Even when they play a classic from the 40's 50's or 60's they only play the "hit" record and ignore some of the other ones. Bing, Elvis, Perry Como etc. made dozens of records but all we hear is White Christmas, Blue Christmas etc. Most of the newer songs are terrible and the beautiful arrangements have been replaced with cheap sounding rock and synth versions. The over singing, showboating styles of today's pop tart singers is so over the top that it get annoying and painful to the ears. That means you Mariah Carey.

Conversely, I grow weary of the “classics” in no time flat. More than two or three airings of each is enough for me for the season, and I have zero interest in the non hits. I find many of today’s artists’ takes to be refreshing changes and a welcome addition to make multiple months of the music outnin public bearable. (And was t Mariah’s Christmas album like 20 something years ago?).

And was t Mariah’s Christmas album like 20 something years ago?.

It's 23 years old. Standout smash "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is still insanely popular (I believe it tops Billboard's chart most years) even as it limps into "Oldies" territory!

Yeah...felt about right. But I don’t follow her career, so for all I know she could have done another album.

Some current artists have had really nice sounding, IMO, takes on classics and new songs alike. Kelly Clarkson and Colbie Callait had great collections in recent years.

There was a re-recording of All I Want For Christmas Is You by Justin Bieber with Mariah Carey a few years ago. They also did a video together. That version revived interest in what was already a very popular song.

I know it's crazy to say about Christmas songs since they're almost entirely covers, but some of it just feels reductive. It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, but some of it feels like the artist brought something new while others just sound like dull re-treads. And that's saying a lot because I really love Christmas music.

BTW: Mariah did release a second Christmas album a few years back. It didn't make nearly as big an impression as her first one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom