• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why are big hits "lost?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this thread reached End of Life also. I already closed one today, so I will let Frank decide on this one.

Daryl can sing the Odia Coates parts on Anka's '70s comeback hits!
No thanks. :) I thought we were just socializing and chit-chatting about how radio stations chose which golden oldies to play. I was learning a lot about the radio business from everyone, which is absolutely fascinating. :) I didn't realize that discussing song preferences was a sensitive topic here. We can move on to a topic that is more edifying. :) -- Daryl

Last edited:
I think this thread reached End of Life also. I already closed one today, so I will let Frank decide on this one.
But you know as well as anyone that if this thread is closed the topic will be revisited in a new thread before the week is done -- maybe even before sunset tonight. It might even derail another unrelated thread. So why not let it continue in one place -- here?

But you know as well as anyone that if this thread is closed the topic will be revisited in a new thread before the week is done -- maybe even before sunset tonight. It might even derail another unrelated thread. So why not let it continue in one place -- here?

CT:

Because these threads tend to spin into an exhausting web of opinion and fantasy that are diametrically opposed not only to facts, but facts already stated.

This board is used as source material for students of broadcasting, for journalists writing about the field and for filmmakers trying to re-create eras. Several of us here, myself included, answered questions and provided archival material for Quentin Tarantino's company when they were in pre-production research on "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (a good portion of the soundtrack is from airchecks of KHJ and there was a scene shot with an actor playing Humble Harve that wound up on the cutting room floor).

They found us through this site.

There is at least one documentary currently being filmed about AM radio that some of us here have provided research and interviews for. One of the first things we did was suggest the writer/producer read this board.

So, when someone posts something in error, we correct the error. Not just me. David, Kelly, you, and probably more than a dozen other members who frequent boards here that I don't.

Ten years ago, some folks lost their membership privileges (at least one of them permanently) for engaging in willful ignorance---repeatedly posting stuff not terribly unlike what's going on in this thread after having been not only told, but shown, that it wasn't true.

Arguments in bad faith---moving the parameters of the initial argument, pretending not to understand the response to an erroneous post or resorting to that old gaslighter's favorite "I was only asking questions...."---were an issue then, too.

Frank and David were the moderators at that time.

Frank has the patience of Job, but there is a limit.

They, and I, and Kelly, and others will defend the integrity of the discussion on this board.

The board is what it is, whether you've been here 20+ years or registered five minutes ago, it's not a place to post nonsense when you've been told and shown otherwise. There are Facebook groups about radio full of chit-chat and memories that don't care about the facts. This site is not that.

Most of the members on this board, whether they've worked in the industry or not, understand that, conduct themselves accordingly, make valuable contributions and don't post things that could confuse or misinform someone who reads what they write.

Well..........let me just say very quickly, before this closes down: People researching for documentaries or reading this board for source material are looking for historical facts.
They are looking for facts versus opinions. Tarantino's people, for example are looking for facts about KHJ, so that it can be portrayed accurately. So, of course, they need to be provided with historical facts. That's important.
Same thing with radio students, or people looking for data about radio station ownership. That's important to have objective facts.

Well put. I never realized that students and journalists were using this board for serious research. That being the case, I can see why threads like this might need to be cut off at some point. Maybe a solution is setting up a music discussion forum or two, much like the Games forum. No student or chronicler of broadcasting history would ever think of researching The Fabulous Word Game, so I can't imagine they'd have any interest in a scattershot, pure-opinion discussion of old songs, even if radio stations' call letters happened to come up in passing.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I know who that permanently banned poster is; he and I have communicated a few times over the years and even traded tapes. Like him, I'm just a radio fan -- although unlike him, I've actually worked in mass media, just not the electronic variety -- and also like him, I try to inject a little humor (maybe more than a little) into my postings here. I'll try to tone that down in the future. I hope I'm not among those on management's watch list; I'd like to think I've learned enough about how radio works from the many pros here, including yourself, not to come across as a truth denier.

But on almost all social media - including here -- there's also space for members to write opinions. Almost every thread on this board right now has people voicing subjective opinions -- and those are clearly subjective. We see it in every thread here.

So, when people who work in media are doing research, they can identify the difference between fact and opinion. We teach that at the high school level, when we teach media studies. How do you distinguish between fact and opinion? That's an important topic in media studies --including print journalism and broadcast journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom