• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHVW 950 hopes to come back on the Air

According to posts at facebook WHVW 950 has purchased a replacement transmitter in Greece which they hope will get in time before they go silent by the FCC.

According to posts at facebook WHVW 950 has purchased a replacement transmitter in Greece which they hope will get in time before they go silent by the FCC.

If its one of those transmitters that used to be on ebay alot, they arent legal to use in the US

I have been under the weather recently and have not been paying attention. When did WHVW's transmitter fail , forcing them off the air. The clock is ticking on the 30 days grace they get from the FCC before they must request STA silent authority. By WHVW getting the replacement transmitter from Greece , do they mean the country of Greece ? Seems like just shipping it here would be costly and time consuming. I would hope Joe Ferraro would be smart enough to be sure the transmitter is FCC compliant. He would need to certify it is , right?

If a radio station's transmitter fails and no one notices, should it come back on the air at all? I can imagine that WHVW was generating even enough revenue to pay the electric bill. 10 Khz south and 40 miles away 940 WINE went off the air and no one noticed that either.

As I said on Wednesday it appeared they were testing and adjusting their new transmitter. I listened briefly yesterday and today, and 950 WHVW is back on the air. Their signal seems a bit weak and the modulation is definitely rather low ( I don't know how they sounded before the old transmitter failed) but they are back with their usual fare. WHVW has a tiny but loyal audience ( I am not one of them) and I don't know hoe Joe Ferrara can afford to pay the electric bill, let alone purchase a replacement transmitter .However, I guess it does not matter.
You are correct small AM stations are just fading away and few notice. I doubt many people outside the radio community , or the stations loyal fans of the unique programing know WHVW is on the air.

Ten kilohertz down the dial, 940 WINE came back on the air this week, probably just for a few days to preserve the license. No one noticed that either. It's interesting to hear stations like WHVW try to survive. I just wonder why. WINE is airing WRKI's programming. You'd think in these days, the environmentalists would complain about the waste of electricity. If I low power AM station goes back on the air after a period of silence, does anyone not affiliated with the station notice?

The law says if a station is silent for more than a year, their license is canceled. It does not say home long they must stay on the air, nor how many times they may take advantage of being silent for just under a year. In my opinion WINE , and others are abusing the intent of the law. If a station signs on for a very brief time to technically avoid deletion, few if anybody knows they are broadcasting they are not serving the public as their license requires. The FCC needs to apply that rule and ,if a station repeatedly use this loophole their license should be canceled.
WHVW's translator is another strange matter. They have one on 96.5 W243EM, Hyde Park. The FCC data file listed it as a construction permit past the 3 year build period. Now I see W243EM has been licensed since May 2021. Odd, despite having lived in Hyde Park I never heard them on the air. Their signal is limited to the south with the transmitter site located the northeast corner of Hyde Park. So, the 60dBu signal barely covers the town. Most of their signal goes west. The southern restriction is likely due to another 96.5 Pamal's W243EI , which retransmits WBNR, Beacon which is a simulcast of 92.9 WBPM, Saugerties. In any event even driving further north in Hyde Park I get nothing from WHVW, not even interference to WBNR's signal which just fades away.
W243EM is not listed as silent, just licenced , but the last entry I see is an application for license renewal one June 1, 2022. That is a extraordinary short renewal time and it is shown as pending. I wonder how up to date the FCC public data base is.

Caught some of the afternoon WHVW simulcast on WBCQ the other day, JP ID'ed as "WHVW AM and FM Hyde Park" before the shortwave feed was dropped. Seems to hint the FM translator is on with the improper ID. I'm not in the area so can't check myself.

Caught some of the afternoon WHVW simulcast on WBCQ the other day, JP ID'ed as "WHVW AM and FM Hyde Park" before the shortwave feed was dropped. Seems to hint the FM translator is on with the improper ID. I'm not in the area so can't check myself.

Unless you can say for sure the Translator transmitter isnt doing an inaudible to the human ear FSK (gfrequency shift keying) ID then you cant say its ill-legal.

Almost all modern transmitters can do FSK and thats legal for a translator.

They can say WHVW AM and FM Hyde Park all they want
'
and probably better that they do.. listeners have no idea what a translator is, and think its related to language, not a transmitter

Has anyone actually heard WHVW's FM translator 96.5 W243EI on the air. I know they have a fairly sharp directional to the west signal, that according to the coverage map does not cover much of Hyde Park . Also Pamal has a co-channel translator on 96.5 W243EM, Beacon , retransmitting WBNR , which simulcasts WBPM. Even in the middle of Hyde Park I only pick up 96.5 W243EM, Beacon, as expected ,rather weak, since Hyde Park is just beyond their fringe. At that point I would expect at least some interference clash between the two co-channel stations, but I don't hear anything from WHVW.

Back
Top Bottom