• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHUD 100.7 Drops Live/Local Evenings For John Tesh Show

Clearly, as retail store X advertises less, it impacts a stations bottom line.

I would listen to her at night when I would work in my shop because there was "someone" there. Nothing against Tesh, but if I am forced to listen to canned shows at night, Tesh won't be my first choice.

That said, I wish the best for Susan.

:cool: Here she is! Susan Browning letting you know the scoop. I have always been live in studio on WHUD since starting October 2010. Even during the worst of the pandemic when air talent was getting sick, they didn't allow any voice tracking and only ONE WHUD talent got to work from home. Almost all full-time staff was live in-person, sharing studios with added work and no extra $. I've tied with Delilah/NYC in my daypart in the past but it doesn't matter. There's always a flimsy reason not to give earned ratings bonuses, promised paid appearances, etc. When the station dropped Tesh 5 years ago and went live, I was chosen from weekends to full-time all-request nights. I loved my job...but Tesh is free. I am not. Onward and upward!
Susan - Thank you for the insight and honesty. I used to listen to you on WLIR ("The Island") when you did the morning show with Barry "Ravoli" Corrolo (RIP) (q: Toad The Wet Sprocket). No matter the circumstances, you are a talented professional and hope to hear you on the radio again. Radio is indeed a cruel witch but the cream still rises to the top. Wishing your time on the beach is a short stay.

Anyone who is in an "at will" job has nothing promised except payment for work rendered. The current status of the economy, particularly in advertising related fields, is such that companies have to make cuts to insure the survival of the company as a whole.
Yep. But the REALITY is not THAT simple. The real story is far more complicated. I will leave it at that.

Remember, I was a station owner at age 18 so that I could do programming my own way. Over the years, I moved from owner in a smaller market to manager in a bigger one to programmer for a group. So in the end, my goal was to be involved totally at the listener level.

That said, no programmer is truly successful if the product they create can't be profitably sold to advertisers.

It's a business.

And if a business is threatened with a sour economy and overwhelming inflation, cuts have to be made. This is one example, made all the more clear when we understand that 7-Midnight, overnights and much of the weekend time is not where the money comes from.

In this case, the "corporate line" is actually "reality".

Susan - Thank you for the insight and honesty. I used to listen to you on WLIR ("The Island") when you did the morning show with Barry "Ravoli" Corrolo (RIP) (q: Toad The Wet Sprocket). No matter the circumstances, you are a talented professional and hope to hear you on the radio again. Radio is indeed a cruel witch but the cream still rises to the top. Wishing your time on the beach is a short stay.
In fact, her stay on the beach is indeed a short one. According to Inside Radio:

"Susan Browning joins Connoisseur Media classic rock WPLR New Haven, CT (99.1) for weekends and fill-ins. Browning hosted evenings at Pamal Broadcasting AC WHUD Hudson Valley, NY (100.7) for 12 years before her October exit."

Congrats Susan on the new gig!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom