• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wholesale Studio Equipment

Do these places exist? If so, where?! I just got moved into my new studio and looking to spice it up with some new equipment. If there is a cheaper option, I'd rather go with it.

The only "cheaper" option I found was looking for liquidations of other studios. I purchased studio furniture from a bankrupt studio for 35 cents on the dollar. Back when Yahoo!/Broadcast changed hands I picked up all sorts of studio equipment and production libraries for next to nothing.

If end-users were readily able to purchase this gear wholesale the retailers would be out of business by now.

Get a list together of the gear you want then send it to the major broadcast retailers for a quote. That's the closest you'll come to wholesale pricing.

There are some things that we buy that do not have a classic "manufacturer --> distributor --> wholesaler --> retailer" structure.

Personal Computers used to work that way and a guy named Michael Dell turned the industry on it's head. His mode of business was "Manufacturer --> Customer" with no middle-men involved.

Broadcasting used to be that way. When you built a station a couple of generations ago, you purchased DIRECT from RCA, GATES or COLLINS. The BIG giants of the broadcast industry have evolved into something else. Now that radio stations may buy mixer boards from the same source as do churches and concert venues, there are some middlemen involved, but I never think of broadcasting equipment being sold at "retail". There are a few things you can buy at retail from Guitar Center and other music store retailers, but I don't think there is a wholesaler between them and the manufacturer.

(I can thank Michael Dell for costing me a darn good job when the distributor of computers I was working for went belly-up-overnight-bankrupt because the manufacturers of PCs all started selling direct to the end users.)

Don't feel lonesome Goat I was one of the orginal satellite dealers that helped start the satellite industry back in 1978. Everything was good until RCA home satellite ie: now Direct TV hit the business and decided that they didn't need any help from the current work force of satellite dealers then building the market. It didn't take long for them to wake up and realize thou that the average person could not go into Wal Mart and buy an RCA home satellite system go home and install it, so along comes the we'll give you this much to install our satellite systems offer to the experienced and current satellite dealers then in business, only problem was it was about one third as much money per install as what the current market price had been for satellite installes for the last 13 years before RCA's offer. The next year along comes Dishnetwork and for a short while things got a little better but not for long. Flash foward to today thanks to fast talking marketing managers all your experienced satellite people that really know satellite are out of business, both Dish and Direct TV gives their installers a 6 hour training course, uniforms, and a pretty painted van and tells them go get it. No more satellite dealer/reseller, no more experienced satellite techs with years of work behind them, no more middle man that way they can keep all the profits and experience in the satellite business who needs it just get it put in so it will play and go to the next one. Different market same problem.

You missed out on the BBC World Service Bush House auction, which happened over the past year or two (3 phases).
Some entire control rooms were going for about a thousand bucks (not including packing and shipping from London).

I agree with the idea of making a list, and checking with the various suppliers. Don't forget to check with reps who sell mainly to TV stations, but also can handle pretty much anything else in the broadcast/production biz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom