• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who has the strongest FM signal(s) in New England?

I was thinking about it. Other than WHOM, which has the strongest/largest signal in New England and peripheral areas (eastern NY, Canada etc):
2. WGBH-Boston; 99kw really gets out.
3. WGIR-Manchester; comes in like a local in Northbridge, MA, about 60-70 air miles.
4. WAMC-Mt. Greylock, MA ;big coiverage area for NPR affliiate.
5. WBLM-Portland, ME; although about 90 mi OTA from Northbridge, frequently wins out the fight wiht Hartford's WDRC from only about 60 mi away. Strong in many areas of NNE.
Any other nominations?

These are my picks, I put WEZF as the best commercial signal in New England outside of WHOM.. Does it really matter as much these days with streaming and satellite radio ??

1) WEZF 92.9 in Burlington.. 100kw. ERP off the top of Mansfield ! You can hear this signal down to Concord NH..
2) WVPS 107.9 in Burlington, almost 100kw. off the top of Mansfield..
3) WPKQ 103.7 Conway NH 100kw ERP (though directional) off the top of Washington
4) 102.9 in Dennysville Maine.. In the boonies, broadcasts to no where, yet everywhere and deep into New Bruswick and Nova Scotia.. 100kw.
5) WTOS-FM 105.1 Skowhegan 100kw ERP off the top of Sugarloaf USA.
6) WZRT 97.1 50kw. ERP off the top of Killington.. (Better than JJR's signal, even though they share the same antenna)
7) WEQX 102.7 50kw ERP off the top of Mt, Equinox..
*) WAAF 107.3 at it's old transmitter site really got out there..

Good question.. :D

Jo Jo Kracko said:
These are my picks, I put WEZF as the best commercial signal in New England outside of WHOM.. Does it really matter as much these days with streaming and satellite radio ??

1) WEZF 92.9 in Burlington.. 100kw. ERP off the top of Mansfield ! You can hear this signal down to Concord NH..
3) WPKQ 103.7 Conway NH 100kw ERP (though directional) off the top of Washington
4) 102.9 in Dennysville Maine.. In the boonies, broadcasts to no where, yet everywhere and deep into New Bruswick and Nova Scotia.. 100kw.
6) WZRT 97.1 50kw. ERP off the top of Killington.. (Better than JJR's signal, even though they share the same antenna)
*) WAAF 107.3 at it's old transmitter site really got out there..

Good question.. :D

The station licensed to Dennysville, ME is WCRQ, which broadcasts with 100 kw from a site that's 456' AAT. I recall listening to that station from Saint John, NB to the outskirts of Bangor, ME. That may not sound impressive, but it is a heck of a lot of real estate. I recall finding it ironic that two of Maine's strongest signals are both at 102.9.

By the way, the WPKQ signal is pretty lackluster when compared with WHOM. I was getting WHOM in Sherbrooke, Quebec with a much better signal than WPKQ. Given its directional signal, you would think that WPKQ would have an advantage to the north - but it doesn't. It does, however, boom in to Maine with a signal that is comparable with WHOM.

It is interesting that neither station seems to make a dent in the Portland or Augusta ratings, as the signals are strong enough. I guess it has to do with a lack of local focus? All in all, this is a very interesting topic...

BRNout said:
By the way, the WPKQ signal is pretty lackluster when compared with WHOM. I was getting WHOM in Sherbrooke, Quebec with a much better signal than WPKQ. Given its directional signal, you would think that WPKQ would have an advantage to the north - but it doesn't. It does, however, boom in to Maine with a signal that is comparable with WHOM.

It is interesting that neither station seems to make a dent in the Portland or Augusta ratings, as the signals are strong enough. I guess it has to do with a lack of local focus? All in all, this is a very interesting topic...

Portland, ME - Spring '07 12+
#6 - WHOM - 5.2 AQH - #1 AC in the market

Augusta/Waterville, ME - Spring '07 12+
#10 - WHOM - 2.9 AQH - under two local AC's

Those aren't "dents"?

There is strong, local Country competition in both markets, which is probably why WPKQ doesn't appear (as published above an 0.5).

Eli Polonsky said:

Those aren't "dents"?

There is strong, local Country competition in both markets, which is probably why WPKQ doesn't appear (as published above an 0.5).

Eli, I stand corrected. Honestly, it's been a couple of years since I spent any time looking at the ratings in those markets. But, WHOM has struggled (historically) to gain any traction in Portland and Augusta. They look ok in Portland, though it would appear that they are still struggling in Augusta. A 10th place showing is nothing to write home about. Naturally, more depends on the demos - but we're just discussing overall listenership.

But, both Mt. Washington signals are like locals in much of southern and midcoast Maine. Theoretically, both could do better. WPKQ, in particular, seems like a waste of resources to me. It's programmed like a 1 kw class A based in North Conway, rather than a full C with a multi-state range.

BRNout said:
Eli Polonsky said:

Those aren't "dents"?

Eli, I stand corrected. Honestly, it's been a couple of years since I spent any time looking at the ratings in those markets. But, WHOM has struggled (historically) to gain any traction in Portland and Augusta. They look ok in Portland, though it would appear that they are still struggling in Augusta. A 10th place showing is nothing to write home about. Naturally, more depends on the demos - but we're just discussing overall listenership.

But, both Mt. Washington signals are like locals in much of southern and midcoast Maine. Theoretically, both could do better. WPKQ, in particular, seems like a waste of resources to me. It's programmed like a 1 kw class A based in North Conway, rather than a full C with a multi-state range.

WHOM is also the top AC in the Lewiston/Auburn book at #5 7.4, and WPKQ makes a low showing there with WPOR dominating for Country.

SOUTH of Worcester MA, WHOM dukes it out with the new hip hop translator from Worcester on the same frequency. Each side "wins" about 1/2 the time. I also got HOM in the parking lot of a golf course in Hebron CT (about 15 mi E SE of Hartford) , in Nova Scotia, and in NY state just E of Lake George. (I'm not crazy about HOM's format; was curious to see how far they get out).

stations signals are often stronger than the blue line on radio locator. WMMR and WMGK from example, say they do not reach pottsville PA. in fact WMMR's map says that it does not even reach schulkyll county at all. but it does.

Those radio locator maps can somewhat be taken with a huge grain of salt..

Nobody has mentioned WAAF which was a regional powerhouse when it was in Worcester @ 107.3. They moved the signal and probably lost some coverage in the process. I think the city of license went to Newton or something. ???

Eli:

What the heck are you talking about? First, you keep on "quantifying" WHOM by saying the top AC when in many cases they are the only AC in the market you reference. In Boston, NY and Phila, the respective AC's are either #1, #2 or #3 Adults 25-54. In Portland, WHOM is somewhere south of #8. Not good at all.

In Lewiston Auburn you claim WPOR dominates. Huh? I believe WTHT might just pull a triple or so on WPOR in that region as far as country radio stations go.

Next your going to be telling us the Kansas City Royals are in the playoffs.

ret vet said:
Nobody has mentioned WAAF which was a regional powerhouse when it was in Worcester @ 107.3. They moved the signal and probably lost some coverage in the process. I think the city of license went to Newton or something. ???

Yeah, the new AAF signal is pretty lousy. The COL actually went to Westborough, only a few towns west... a COL of Newton would have created one heck of a bad signal, needing to protect 106.7 Boston, 107.1 Exeter NH, 107.1 Fairhaven, 107.5 Chatham (and watching out for the big 107.5 Lewiston ME) and 107.9 Medford. It's doubtful that WAAF will ever go back, though, with 97.7 seeming to cover up for Entercom's mistake.

Hello "Ret Vet". certainly WAAF at it's old transmitter site was mentioned on a previous post.. The new site for WAAF does not cover nearly the same geography, just the geography that counts to them.. How do the Presque Isle big FM's do for coverage ? No one has chimed in on those powerhouses way up these in the County..

no one has mentioned 99.9 the BUZZ from the plattsburg NY area. where would you put this station on the list? that station goes way far into NH in the whites when it transmits from NY with 100,000 watts of power

on a side noteL WWLR signal goes way far for our power 3,000 watts of power and height below average terrain, but I wouldn't put this one anywhere near the strongest list for new england stations
-OZ

adbuyer1 said:
Eli:

What the heck are you talking about? First, you keep on "quantifying" WHOM by saying the top AC when in many cases they are the only AC in the market you reference. In Boston, NY and Phila, the respective AC's are either #1, #2 or #3 Adults 25-54. In Portland, WHOM is somewhere south of #8. Not good at all.

I don't have access to see the 25-54. All I can see are the 12+ posted here. I know they don't matter much compared to 25-54, but I was responding to BRNout who said WHOM didn't "make a dent" in Portland.

#6 in the 12+, or #8 in the 25-54, may not be stellar, and I never said it was, but the station does "make a dent" in the market.

There is another AC in the Portland and Lewiston markets, WMGX. It's "Hot AC", but that's still a form of AC. WMGX is below WHOM in the 12+ in both of those books.

adbuyer1 said:
In Lewiston Auburn you claim WPOR dominates. Huh? I believe WTHT might just pull a triple or so on WPOR in that region as far as country radio stations go.

That was simply a mistake. I had viewed the Portland market where WPOR does dominate Country, and posted it in the wrong market. Of course, it's WTHT over WPOR in Lewiston. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anyone ever noticed that if you view the ratings pages here, then navigate back to messages, you can't get back to the ratings pages again for about ten minutes? The site just won't respond when trying for that long. That happened on both my home and work computers.

Jo Jo Kracko said:

Actually 46kW ERP, equivelant to 100kW C.

48.8kW, also a 100kW Equiv. signal.

21.5kW, hard directional 100kW Equiv. signal.

57kW,. another 100kW Equiv. signal.

Theoretically their coverage is exactly the same, however there are much more 98.3's and 97.9's around causing noise with 98.1, than there are 96.9s and 97.3's to WZRT. Also 1.15kW ERP.

1.25kW ERP. (Amazing eh? 759 meters AAT)

To get quickly technical here, ERP is the measure of Effective Radiated Power, the actual power off of the transmitting antenna. Which, as you know, gets reduced if you go above the FCC minimum height mark.

It is interesting to note that before 92.9 in Saugertees, NY , WEZF was a regular catch in the Berkshires. I remember being able to hear it in Pittsfield. Now 92.9 is that little class A jobber in NY.

Thanks for setting me straight on my improper use of the grammer "Necrat".. I should have left the ERP's off, and I get it that you know what I mean.. Good list though.. Yes the ZRT and JJR signals originate from the same antenna & combiner atop Killington.. Been there, and have the t-shirts.. Z certainly still has less 'neighbors' around the dial than JJR..

99.9 The Buzz (100kw.) in Plattsburgh does have a great signal, booms into Montreal, shoots down the Champlain Valley, and yes keeps those LSC students sane with great terrestrial radio, yet it doesn't have quite the tower height as list below.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom