• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who aired what where: Lesser-known syndicated shows

Some more, this time from October 1993:
Xuxa - WGKI
Vicki! - WPBN
Jane Whitney - WPBN
Rush Limbaugh - WGTU
Family Feud Challenge - WWTV
(Several shows, such as Jerry Springer, Sally Jessy Raphael, and Montel Williams, were uncleared in Traverse City)

Then there's ANOTHER forgotten syndie show: Starting From Scratch (starring Bill Daily of "Maude" fame), which aired on WPIX in New York, and here in Atlanta? That's right...W-S-B!!! (thankfully, went totally uncleared in Alaska)

Last edited:
WHAG ( Hagerstown, Maryland )..Divorce Count ( the William B. Keane version )
Headline Chasers

WAZT ( Winchester, Virginia )...Rush Limbaugh
Dr. Laura

WYVN ( Martinsburg, West Virginia )..Now It Can Be Told

Back in the mid 70s WTTG ( Washington DC ) did air the Canadian shows..King of Kensington and The Trouble With Tracy.

Here are some highlights from September 1992 in Michigan:
Infatuation
Alpena: WBKB (CBS 11) - 12:30am
Detroit: WDIV (NBC 4) - 4am
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WSMH (FOX 66) - 11:30am
Grand Rapids: WOOD (NBC 8) - 11am
Lansing: WSYM (FOX 47) - 10am
Toledo: WUPW (FOX 36) - Noon
Traverse City-Cadillac: WGKI (FOX 33) - 11:30am
Uncleared in Marquette

Studs
Detroit: WXON (IND 20) - 11pm
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WEYI (CBS 25) - 6pm
Grand Rapids: WXMI (FOX 17) - Midnight
Lansing: WSYM (FOX 47) - 11pm
Toledo: WUPW (FOX 36) - Midnight
Traverse City-Cadillac: WGKI (FOX 33) - 7pm and 10:30pm
Uncleared in Alpena and Marquette

That's Amore!
Detroit: WKBD (FOX 50) - 12:30pm and 1am
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WSMH (FOX 66) - Noon
Lansing: WLAJ (ABC 53) - Midnight
Toledo: WTOL (CBS 11) - 9:30am
Traverse City-Cadillac: WGKI (FOX 33) - 6:30pm
Uncleared in Alpena, Grand Rapids, and Marquette

Vicki!
Detroit: WKBD (FOX 50) - 1pm
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WEYI (CBS 25) - 9am
Lansing: WLNS (CBS 6) - 1am
Toledo: WNWO (ABC 24) - 10am
Traverse City-Cadillac/Alpena: WPBN/WTOM (NBC 7/4) - 9am
Uncleared in Grand Rapids and Marquette

Whoopi Goldberg
Detroit: WXYZ (ABC 7) - 2am
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WSMH (FOX 66) - Midnight
Grand Rapids: WOOD (NBC 8) - 12:35am
Lansing: WSYM (FOX 47) - 11:30pm
Marquette: WLUC (ABC/NBC 6) - Noon
Sarnia: CKCO (CTV 42) - Midnight
Traverse City-Cadillac/Alpena: WPBN/WTOM (NBC 7/4) - Noon
Uncleared in Toledo

You Bet Your Life
Detroit: WKBD (FOX 50) - 7:30pm
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City: WJRT (ABC 12) - 7:30pm
Grand Rapids: WZZM (ABC 13) - 7:30pm
Lansing: WLAJ (ABC 53) - 7pm
Uncleared in Alpena, Marquette, Toledo, and Traverse City-Cadillac

And back to Atlanta (from November 1989 and April 1990):

Peppermint Place--WXIA...which, coincidentally, is sister station to WFAA (who briefly syndicated the show nationally)!
Inside Video (which I think previewed the latest home video releases)--WUPA

As for College Mad House on WSB? My guess is they slotted it late night Fridays/early Saturday mornings, but didn't look deeper.

I also looked for the Lorne Michaels-produced Night Music; it got bupkis clearance here (WXIA could've aired it after SNL instead of Twilight Zone reruns).

EDITED:
And back to Atlanta (from November 1989 and April 1990):

Peppermint Place--WXIA...which, coincidentally, is now sister station to WFAA (who briefly syndicated the show nationally)!
Inside Video (which I think previewed the latest home video releases)--WUPA

As for College Mad House on WSB? My guess is they slotted it late night Fridays/early Saturday mornings, but didn't look deeper.

I also looked for the Lorne Michaels-produced Night Music; it got bupkis clearance here (WXIA could've aired it right after SNL instead of Twilight Zone reruns).

Yakima highlights, mostly 1980s/early 1990s
Group One Medical - KIMA, at noon
Wipeout - KIMA, 3PM
Headline Chasers - KNDO, 5pm
Richard Simmons Show (1981/82) - KNDO, 9AM
The Munsters Today - K53CY (Fox, now KCYU-LD 41), noon Sundays in 1990-91
New Lassie - K53CY, 11:30AM Sun
What a Dummy - K53CY, 1PM Sun
The West (regional newsmagazine syndicated throughout the West Coast) - KIMA, 6PM Sun
Remote Control (syndicated) - K53CY, 11AM Sun
The Byron Allen Show - KIMA, first on Sunday nights at 11:15p (after CBS Sunday Night News), then Saturdays at 11pm

Yakima highlights, mostly 1980s/early 1990s
Group One Medical - KIMA, at noon
Wipeout - KIMA, 3PM
Headline Chasers - KNDO, 5pm
Richard Simmons Show (1981/82) - KNDO, 9AM
The Munsters Today - K53CY (Fox, now KCYU-LD 41), noon Sundays in 1990-91
New Lassie - K53CY, 11:30AM Sun
What a Dummy - K53CY, 1PM Sun
The West (regional newsmagazine syndicated throughout the West Coast) - KIMA, 6PM Sun
Remote Control (syndicated) - K53CY, 11AM Sun
The Byron Allen Show - KIMA, first on Sunday nights at 11:15p (after CBS Sunday Night News), then Saturdays at 11pm

Group One Medical was on WLOS/13 opposite The Price is Right on WSPA/7 and Wheel Of Fortune on WYFF/4.
Byron Allen was on WYFF/4 after SNL. Never watched it, I was watching American Gladiators on WLOS/13 instead.

Wipeout was on WSPA/7 opposite Classic Concentration on WYFF/4

I am curious about the Morton Downey Jr. show in the 80's. He started in the east, and expanded to the southeast, and eventually went nationwide, but dropped out completely in the early 90's. This show was definitely a predecessor to the wild talk shows that followed, (Jerry Springer, etc.). But what lead to his show failing?

Last edited:
I am curious about the Morton Downey Jr. show in the 80's. He started in the east, and expanded to the southeast, and eventually went nationwide, but dropped out completely in the early 90's. This show was definitely a predecessor to the wild talk shows that followed, (Jerry Springer, etc.). But what lead to his show failing?

According to Wikipedia, viewership declined by 1989, and led to the cancelling of the show. The real predecessors to these "wild" talk shows were Joe Pyne, Alan Burke, and others in the 1960s. And to a lesser degree, Wally George in Los Angeles, who called himself "the King of Combat TV." His show started in the 70s, and was never syndicated, as far as I know.

According to Wikipedia, viewership declined by 1989, and led to the cancelling of the show.

Wikipedia is being nice there as Morton Downey was one show whose ratings I can remember dropped like a falling rock. Looking back there were several reasons. Asking his gay brother how he got AIDS and telling a child preacher to "..KISS MY *** !!" were two that put off viewers. Then there was the San Francisco Airport incident where Morton showed up with a nazi symbol on his face and the Denver incident between him and somebody from KHOW-AM 630 which resulted in a shouting match of F words between the two. Oh there was that book Downey had published in 1989 that made zero sense. It was always something with that guy. By the early 90's Morton Downey took his show to CNBC. At first it was the same old Downey but I guess he and the cable channel had "words" since soon we were given a "nicer" Morton Downey Jr. By the mid to late 90s Downey would slam his own former show but looking back I think it was the cancer that would later kill him since he chained smoked on his late 80s show.

Morton Downey's show was cancelled within 2 years in the '80s...
And I will never understand how many college dropouts and college kids can ENJOY watching a 78-year-old man named Maury Povich giving out paternity and lie detector tests, to this day! It's a show that still won't go away.

Morton Downey's show was cancelled within 2 years in the '80s...
And I will never understand how many college dropouts and college kids can ENJOY watching a 78-year-old man named Maury Povich giving out paternity and lie detector tests, to this day! It's a show that still won't go away.

I remember watching the late Morton's show in the late 80's in South Florida and thought it was simply a regional program that would never work in the West, especially the Northwest. Sure enough, it got on the air in Seattle (can't remember what channel, but likely KSTW or KCPQ), and then was suddenly gone. It was hilariously parodied on the NBC Letterman Show by Chris Elliott, and for good reason.

Last edited:
Morton was on KSTW.

In Grand Rapids, Morton Downey Jr. aired on WZZM at 11:30pm. Looks like it was not cleared in Green Bay or Traverse City-Cadillac (unless WGTU had it; they were not in the listings at this time), according to the 11/5/1988 Ludington Daily News.

I am curious about "Trauma Center"- was it similar to "On Scene: Emergency Response" or "Rescue 911"? I know there was another series with that title "Trauma Center" that aired on CBS in the 80s, so i don't want to confuse the two shows.

Last edited:
Brand new Atlanta entries:

Rituals--WXIA and WATL
Check It Out! (Canadian-produced comedy starring Don Adams)--WSB
Puttin' On The Kids--WATL
FTV--WGCL
Dick Clark's Nitetime--WAGA
Mad Movies with the L.A. Connection--WSB
Salute--WXIA (KATN (Fairbanks))
Pensacola: Wings of Gold (starring James Brolin)--WXIA (KFXF)
Student Bodies--WAGA (KFXF)
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids--WATL (KFXF)
Out Of The Blue--Didn't check, but I'm thinking WATL (KFXF)

Dick Clark's Nitetime-- WSPA/7(after their Saturday night newscast.)

Rush Limbaugh's show aired on WLOS/13 in late night.

None of the others you mentioned aired in Asheville, but I'll check to be sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom