• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHIO time squeezing Rush Limbaugh

It appears that WHIO AM & FM are time squeezing the Rush Limbaugh Show electronically. They are picking up roughly 3 to 4 minutes in the noon hour to play more local stuff. I haven't checked the other hours. If I remember correctly, there was a big stink about other stations doing this kind of thing several years ago, and I believe it was the Rush show then also. Anyone remember what went on with that? How was it settled? Occasionally you will hear a little glitching also.

If it's a live show, they can't time-squeeze it. Time compression only works when the material is recorded.

Rush's show starts around 5 after the hour. WHIO starts the show around 8 or 9 after the hour. Thus they can digitally alter (squeeze) the show by snipping tiny bits of dead air out of the show because it has already aired. They can do it as they go. There are units built to do this kind of thing, I just don't remember the names of them.

Correct. The show is not aired "live." It's delayed .... recorded.
If they delay each hour by 4 or 5 minutes, they can time-compress each hour by the same amount and gain additional time for commercials.
Has anyone complained about the commercial load?

Awww, and here I was hoping to hear about some magic box that can broadcast content before it is even uttered. :rolleyes:

Does WHIO do this with other shows? The only one I listen to even semi-regularly on 95.7 from Columbus is Clark Howard. It's not like I listen to Clark daily, but it seems like his show never starts until 6:08 or so. If that's the case when it airs live in the afternoon, then I stand corrected.
That is not to mention some of the obvious audio differences within Clark's show itself.

Rush's show starts around 5 after the hour. WHIO starts the show around 8 or 9 after the hour. Thus they can digitally alter (squeeze) the show by snipping tiny bits of dead air out of the show because it has already aired. They can do it as they go. There are units built to do this kind of thing, I just don't remember the names of them.

We used to call it a "catch-up delay". I remember how cool it was when we switched from tape to straight digital and later to the "catch-up".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom