• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where's Willie?

Stations have requested specific calls, going back 60 or 70 years to "XEDF" for "Distrito Federal" and XERPM for "Radio Programas de México" or XESM for Jesús San Martín, the owner.

Like that those are many examples. The best known may be Gordon McLendon's leased Tijuana station, XETRA, "Extra News over Los Angeles". And Paul Schaefer's XHERS and XHIS in Tijuana also, male and female oriented music formats.
And AM 800 XESPN back when they became an ESPN affiliate.

Stations have requested specific calls, going back 60 or 70 years to "XEDF" for "Distrito Federal" and XERPM for "Radio Programas de México" or XESM for Jesús San Martín, the owner.

Like that those are many examples. The best known may be Gordon McLendon's leased Tijuana station, XETRA, "Extra News over Los Angeles". And Paul Schaefer's XHERS and XHIS in Tijuana also, male and female oriented music formats.
Its interesting that the former TJ/SD Classical station at 104.9 called itself XLNC1 but the calls were actually XHLNC. I remember the station ID in Spanish as XLNC1. I actually thought that was the call sign until I looked it up.

Its interesting that the former TJ/SD Classical station at 104.9 called itself XLNC1 but the calls were actually XHLNC. I remember the station ID in Spanish as XLNC1. I actually thought that was the call sign until I looked it up.
Calls with a numeral after them used to be place holders so the US would not use a channel Mexico wanted kept for themselves.

All Mexican stations except those in English that have a waiver must run several minutes of government PSAs every hour.
I'm assuming there are currently no stations that have a waiver? There are a few Mexican stations with English formats outside of San Diego that play these PSAs. San Diego seems to be the only place where ads are re-recorded and played in English. XHTO-FM (Top-40) in Ciudad Juárez and XHBK-FM (Country) in Nuevo Laredo still play these PSA in Spanish.

Speaking of Willy, they are back on yesterday (9/3/2023). Speaking of license Mexican stations, does Mexican radio station have separating space similar to United States? Ie. US is .8 mHz between stations i.e. 93.3, 94.1, 94.9, 95.7, 96.5, 97.3, 98.1, etc. I know in Canada it's .6mHz or 3rd adjacent channel? What about Mexico, I'm surprised there's radio station at least .4 Mhz such as 90.3(XHITZ), 90.7(XHTIM), 91.1(XETRA), 91.7(XHGLX) mHz, also, 98.9(XHMORE), 99.3(XHOCL), 99.7(XHKY) follow by 104.5(XHLTN), 104.9(XHLNC) and 107.3(XHFG) and 107.7(XHRST) mHz.

Speaking of Willy, they are back on yesterday (9/3/2023). Speaking of license Mexican stations, does Mexican radio station have separating space similar to United States? I
When Mexico's legislators declared AM to be dead, they changed the spacing for second adjacent stations to zero kilometers. But, in the border areas with the US they kept the same standard that is specified in the Joint Agreement that follows pretty much the US FCC standard.

Mexico, going way back, allowed second adjacent AM stations in the same market: Mexico City has 690, 710 and 730 as one example.

Back
Top Bottom