• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where Would Leykis Go?

D

DiamondJoe

The other night, Tom Leykis was mentioning how his contract expires in Spring 2007, and considering studio construction plans that have taken a long time, he may be reconsidering whether or not to re-sign with Westwood One.

Which had me thinking: In an era where Stern has been driven to satellite by FCC watchdogs, and most of Stern's style of radio is rarely found on terrestrial radio anymore, I ask, where would Leykis, with his brand of "I teach men to get laid" radio, go? Clear Channel-owned Premiere probably wouldn't take him...

I know, it was probably just schtick, as most radio hosts have been known to openly hint about when their contracts are up, but it made me wonder.

As an aside, is Leykis on any Clear Channel stations these days? I think he might still be on KMOM-FM Colorado Springs.<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

KMOM is no longer. Clear Channel made a switch to the CHR/Rhythmic format with new calls, KIBT, The Beat, last October. Guess they wanted to give some competition to KKMG, and are doing so quite nicely by beating them in the Spring book. Bob and Tom went to KKFM, Leykis can't be heard in the market any longer.

> The other night, Tom Leykis was mentioning how his contract
> expires in Spring 2007, and considering studio construction
> plans that have taken a long time, he may be reconsidering
> whether or not to re-sign with Westwood One.
>
> Which had me thinking: In an era where Stern has been driven
> to satellite by FCC watchdogs, and most of Stern's style of
> radio is rarely found on terrestrial radio anymore, I ask,
> where would Leykis, with his brand of "I teach men to get
> laid" radio, go? Clear Channel-owned Premiere probably
> wouldn't take him...
>
> I know, it was probably just schtick, as most radio hosts
> have been known to openly hint about when their contracts
> are up, but it made me wonder.
>
> As an aside, is Leykis on any Clear Channel stations these
> days? I think he might still be on KMOM-FM Colorado Springs.
>

> The other night, Tom Leykis was mentioning how his contract
> expires in Spring 2007, and considering studio construction
> plans that have taken a long time, he may be reconsidering
> whether or not to re-sign with Westwood One.
>
> Which had me thinking: In an era where Stern has been driven
> to satellite by FCC watchdogs, and most of Stern's style of
> radio is rarely found on terrestrial radio anymore, I ask,
> where would Leykis, with his brand of "I teach men to get
> laid" radio, go? Clear Channel-owned Premiere probably
> wouldn't take him...
>
> I know, it was probably just schtick, as most radio hosts
> have been known to openly hint about when their contracts
> are up, but it made me wonder.
>
> As an aside, is Leykis on any Clear Channel stations these
> days? I think he might still be on KMOM-FM Colorado Springs.
>

Without sounding to out of my head on this, Ive spent alot of time over the years listening to Talk Radio, trying to hear every show I possibly could, I feel like Tom Leykis might be the one and only thing if anything that keeps Hot Talk radio from collapsing after Sterns Departure, He is a true talent, and I really dont think Leykis and Sterns shows are anything alike, Leykis seems to have toned his show down alot, I dont know if its because he's getting older, or the FCC! it just dosent seem like he trys to stretch the rules like he used to, I personally enjoy his show more the way it is now! and I believe if he dosent re-sign with W.W.O. that it would almost be a no brainer for Premiere, he definitly wouldnt go un signed for long, if anybody else could afford his contract that is!! I dont know, is this a biased opinion, or does any of it hold true?

> Leykis seems to have toned his show down alot

Well, other than the occasional caller request to take them out "Kobe-style" or with a "screaming o**asm", it has gotten somewhat cleaner.<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

People have a wide variety of tastes when it comes to entertainment; comedy and satire included. These forms of radio entertainment have been neutralized by Washington for your listening enjoyment. It doesn't sound so good anymore, does it?

Satellite radio will temporarily be here to the rescue, until somebody will lobby to cut the blood supply from your favorite program(s), most likely he or she will claim that "NO programming shall be exclusively for people over 18-" .That IS what they're saying to you, isn't it? It's all about the invisible children who are listening.

Aristophanes, Shakespeare, and Geoffrey Chaucer were all, at times, considered to be obscene and/or vulgar. Modern interperetations of these greats DO include radio talk show hosts. Many intend to shock, offend, and satirize things like family life, our politicians & judiciary , sex and relationships. These are the most popular topics of yesterday AND today....and they haven't changed much in almost 3000 years.

It doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules on the radio. There SHOULD be red lights and green lights. Freedom of speech does have responsible rules and it should be no different for people on the radio.

However, listen to the uncensored programs like O&A. Okay, I'll agree with you that it's entertaiment not for all ears, not for the weak of stomachs, and not for the very old or very young. It is pure and unfettered and isn't that the way it SHOULD be? It must be so liberating to just throw away that darn delay unit. How American!

> Satellite radio will temporarily be here to the rescue,
> until somebody will lobby to cut the blood supply from your
> favorite program(s), most likely he or she will claim that
> "NO programming shall be exclusively for people over 18-"
> .That IS what they're saying to you, isn't it? It's all
> about the invisible children who are listening.

Premiere is more or less seeking a 6-10pm ET show to go up against Savage, although Leykis doesn't really fit their mold.

Perhaps he could go to Radio America; they seem to be picking up WW1 and everyone elses outcasts... although they seem to think Michael Reagan is the gold standard of excellence.

Seems to me, much as I like Leykis, his syndication is kind of like that of John Batchelor or others like that... the syndication company owns the station, the host gets huge ratings locally, and they figure, what the heck, the show doesn't have a local flavor anyway (Leykis' principles work in LA like they do in Cleveland), let's syndicate it. In this case, getting on decent FMs in Seattle and Dallas, and wherever else, is like gravy. Unfortunate because Leykis, be it sex talk or political talk, is much more talented than Pawn Vanity, Neal Boortz, et al.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom