• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When was the first disclaimer for a news story?

I ask because I recently saw a clip of a suicide that was aired multiple times, with some stations chosing when to air the clip unedited. After seeing that, and not hearing a warning of the graphic nature, I wondered if that clip was the beginning of the disclaimer syndrome we now have with television.

The suicide was probably R. Budd Dwyer, former Pennsylvania official who was accused of corruption. He called a press conference and during it shot himself. WPVI-TV in Philadelphia was airing the press conference live, then later re-ran the shot with minimal warning.

They only aired the full clip twice.

I'm not sure what would be a "syndrome" about so-called disclaimers. Giving people who choose to exercise the option a few moments to do something hardly seems like a "syndrome."

I'm not sure what would be a "syndrome" about so-called disclaimers. Giving people who choose to exercise the option a few moments to do something hardly seems like a "syndrome."

I used the wrong term. I meant the trope of saying that what is about to air may be unsuitable, or offensive to some viewers. When did that start to become commonplace?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom