• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When the fcc is going to change the rules of e/i programming for children?

I suggest contacting members of the Congress of the United States and request they support legislation to repeal the Children's Television Act of 1990.

I don't think there's much chance of that happening either. Especially in an election year.

Even in the industry, there's nobody calling for this.

To clarify, I believe the thread-starter wants more e/i, not less.  I assumed he meant the opposite because I read this thread before his other opus, entitled

When are they put more hours of e/i programming on local stations?

in which he asks,

KJBlast2011 said:
When are they put more hours of e/i programming on local staions?

Would passing the Children's Television Act of 1990 a decade or two sooner have improved his syntax?

I wonder.

Some stations do have more than the required three hours.

In the Quad Cities area, WHBF 4.2 airs EI programming from RTV weekdays from 8 to 9am for a grand total of five hours.
In addition to Litton's Weekend Adventure, WQAD airs additional EI programming on the weekends.
KGCW CW 26.1 airs repeats some of it's EI programming as well as the 'Magi-nation' hour provided by Toonzai. Subchannel 26.2 is known as 'This Quad Cities' and clears 100% of that network, including the provided 6 1/2 hours of EI programming...

Personally, I think there should be a rule against two stations in the same market airing one and the same show. In the Quad Cities, sister stations KLJB and KGCW both air Jack Hanna's 'Into The Wild' and 'Made In Hollywood' (Teen Edition)

imhomerjay said:
Nor any channels.
Agreed! Like they said in Footloose ...

And there was a time for this law, but not anymore.

So kick off your Sunday shoes. :D

I'm still trying to figure out how Disney's "Zac & Cody" and "Hannah Montana" managed to get e/i stamps for so long when they were airing on ABC. ???

Maybe they had basic math lessons in between the laugh tracks that I missed as I hurriedly flipped passed them so my brain wouldn't melt. ::)

jc said:
Al Timiter said:
I don't think the sub-channels should have e/i requirements.

I don't think so either

They don't I don't see them on Me-TV KSAT HD-2 nor on the Create Channel.

Correction- Childrens Television Act of 1990. And it requires all digital channels to broadcast a certain amount of hours of E/I Programming.

willdav713 said:
Correction- Childrens Television Act of 1990. And it requires all digital channels to broadcast a certain amount of hours of E/I Programming.

Since digital television didn't exist in 1990 (the FCC was still looking at analog HD transmission systems at that time), I doubt that the Children's Television Act specifically addressed digital subchannels. Applying the 3 hours/week mandate to digital subchannels was an interpretation on the part of the FCC, and it went into play probably 15 years after the Act was originally passed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom