• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When Long Beach Radio Ruled The Country

M

mostb1

When Long Beach Radio Ruled the Country
by: Steve Propes

When fans of country music lament the recent loss of KZLA, L.A.’s only country radio station for over 25 years, they might not be aware of a tiny Long Beach station that once dominated the country market for the better part of two decades.

The title of L.A.’s King of Country belongs to AM radio KFOX, where the best country DJs of the era broadcast in the 1960s and early 1970s. KFOX Radio signed on the air in 1924. Located over a car dealership at 200 W. Anaheim St. (the building is still standing, the structure for one transmitter remains on the roof), KFOX presented popular music and a variety of programs, including productions from the Long Beach Playhouse.

In the 1950s, KFOX carried a popular rhythm and blues record spinning show with bandleader Johnny Otis, and jazz programming hosted by legendary DJs Sleepy Stein and Chuck Niles, most recently heard on KKJZ until his death.

Historically, Long Beach/Signal Hill has been a center for live country music, with clubs like George’s Roundup (now Acres of Books), the Western Corral, the Foothill, the Hilltop and Hollywood On the Pike attracting sailors and other country fans during the era of the NuPike.

When Pasadena-based country station KXLA went Top 40 as KRLA in 1959, the field was wide open for a new country operation. KFOX-AM took up the sound with several DJs from KXLA like Cliffie Stone, one of radio’s first country DJs.

In trade advertising in 1966, KFOX, still located on Anaheim St., claimed to be the #1 country station in the U.S. KFOX moved to the International Towers on Ocean Blvd. That’s when a 14-year-old Millikan High student decided to make radio his career.

Craig Breit grew up on Palo Verde Ave. near CSULB and got his first exposure to the sound via the gossip affirming hit, “Harper Valley P.T.A.,” #1 on rock music Boss Radio KHJ and KFOX in 1968. “It was kind of a rebel song,” said Breit.

“I was 14 years old; my mother used to drop me off at KFOX after school in 1970,” recalled Breit, who is now Professor/Faculty Advisor of the Mass Communications Department at Cerritos College. “I had a real love of the music. I listened to it for a long time. It seemed like a lot of fun.”

Breit recalled very few country music fans at Millikan. “There were not very many, less than the fingers on both feet, though I had a couple of friends who had a passing interest in guitar pickers like Jerry Reed,” who had a hit with “Amos Moses” and co-starred with Burt Reynolds in “Smokey & the Bandit.”

Breit recalled “Bill Patterson, who was on-air as Willie Lee Hooker,” who took an interest in this teen. At the time, KFOX played “male dominated old-fashioned country music, which would include a variety of genres, country out of Nashville, western out of Texas, which translated into Hollywood westerns, bluegrass and gospel.” Patterson allowed Breit to read listener mail over the air. “I wasn’t very good, but I was on the radio.”

In 1968, while AM radio still dominated, KGBS-AM challenged KFOX. The end of KFOX’s country days came when the station switched over to a religious format as KFRN in 1977.

Then came a resurgence of country music with the John Travolta opus “Urban Cowboy,” prompting both former Boss Radio KHJ-AM and Beautiful Music station, KPOL, now known as KZLA, to go country in 1980. After 18 months playing country music at the Long Beach City College station KLON, Breit became part of the original KZLA DJ transition team.

Breit worked as KZLA weekend overnight DJ for seven months before leaving to attend graduate school at CSULB, obtaining a masters in speech/communications. Throughout his teaching career, Breit has remained a fan of country music.

Until late August, KZLA ruled as the only reliable place for country in L.A., though country purists complained about its soft rock approach to the music. That included country music stalwart Breit, who didn’t even know KZLA had given up on country, having not regularly listened to his former radio home for several years.

Note: Many country listeners are aware that country music is alive and well in outlying areas such as KFRG in Riverside, KUZZ in Bakersfield and KHAY in Ventura.

http://www.longbeachcomber.com/index.php?CatID=4&Story=1739

Now we are talking great radio, 1280 KFOX. However I wouldn't call it a tiny station ! A top L.A. ratings getter. It was Pulse in those days long before Arbitron. At first similcast on 102.3 and then 100.3. Great jocks like Charlie Williams, Lee "the hoss" Ross, Biff Collie, Al Rifle, Frank Simon, Jerry Mars, Hugh Cherry and others. KTYM 1460 had already been country when 1110 switched in 1959 under former KXLA G.M. A.J. Williams and initially similcast on 103.9. Also, 1600 KWOW was country in the 1960's.

No mention of KLAC? I would think no station contributed more to the demise of country on KFOX, and KLAC became one of the most influential country stations, winning numerous "Country Station of the Year" awards by the ACM, CMA, etc. with a great lineup of personalities. I don't think KZLA ever was as influential as KLAC.

Let's not forget KFOX's shining moment of fame. It is liberally smattered all over the "classic" film "Gone in 60 Seconds", the orignal if you please. Many scenes shot in their studios, and their helicopter, and a field reporter doing interviews in the park after the chase passes through. This film pops up on the Speed Channel quite often.

The film also features tons of Long Beach, San Pedro and South Bay footage from that period, fun to play "Hey where is that ........" Also fun to see how there are unsuspecting folks standing all over the sidewalks wondering what the h*ll is going on, no way would that fly nowadays.

gerald said:
Let's not forget KFOX's shining moment of fame. It is liberally smattered all over the "classic" film "Gone in 60 Seconds", the orignal if you please. Many scenes shot in their studios, and their helicopter, and a field reporter doing interviews in the park after the chase passes through. This film pops up on the Speed Channel quite often.

The film also features tons of Long Beach, San Pedro and South Bay footage from that period, fun to play "Hey where is that ........" Also fun to see how there are unsuspecting folks standing all over the sidewalks wondering what the h*ll is going on, no way would that fly nowadays.

Speaking of film footage, I happen to have some 8MM footage of the old KFOX studio and TX shack when it was on Anaheim Street.

As a teenager I grew up in Long Beach and one day, back in 1965, I showed up on their doorstep, as it were, with a movie camera and asked if I could film their studio and transmitter for a school project I was doing. The station manager graciously let me in and showed me around. I met one of the D.J.s and filmed him doing his thing.

Sadly, the building is a mess now and the one remaining tower is badly rusted and will probably have to be dismantled. Of course, 1280 now belongs to KFRN which has its studio on Long Beach Blvd. in the Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach and the KFOX calls belong to a Korean station in Torrance.

But in those days that was when local radio in that area really was local.

db

Jon Bruce, you mentioned AJ Williams, could that be the same AJ that was the
wacky owner of KDWN Las Vegas?

Reading about KFOX Long Beach on this thread brings back many memories of the station and the behind the scenes work it took to make it happen. My dad, Dick Schofield, managed the station from about the late 50's to 1971. It sounds very much like him that he would make dbdigital's film project his priority at that moment. As a boy during summer breaks he'd take me to the station when it was still on Anaheim. My fascination with the UPI teletype machine was an early inspiration for me to eventually make a career in the news media. The double glass sound-proofing, the holes in the acoustic tile covering the walls, dj's slip-cueing the 45's, when back in the car - listening to the guy who I just saw working in the studio! It was an amazing time for me. The move to the International Tower was a huge part of the station's progress. As mentioned in the thread the station did develop country music competition. If memory serves me, KGBS was the first major LA station to switch to country. Owned by Storer, it had national presence and deep pockets (home of Bill Ballance Feminine Forum). My dad got together with Bill Ward, program director of a small country station in the San Fernando Valley (KBBQ) and worked out a combination buy plan to offer to advertisers. With a lower (than KGBS) 2-station combination rate you got KBBQ and KFOX. The combination provided a larger coverage area than KGBS and country music on KGBS went away. By 1970/71, again if memory serves me, MetroMedia, owner of KLAC, had taken notice and began plans to take KLAC from talk (Joe Pyne, etc) to country. My dad was offered General Manager but he turned them down. He was closing on a couple of stations he was buying in the San Francisco market and he told MetroMedia they could not do better than Bill Ward from KBBQ. Bill's leadership at KLAC took the station to legendary success. I had the privilege of working for KLAC News during that time under Bill Ward's guidance.

After my dad passed I was sorting through his things and came across KFOX-related memorabilia. Things that I will hold dear as long as I'm around. I've written here much more than I thought I would. I guess I did go on about it. Thanks to all of you for helping to keep the memories of KFOX Long Beach alive.

Reading about KFOX Long Beach on this thread brings back many memories of the station and the behind the scenes work it took to make it happen. My dad, Dick Schofield, managed the station from about the late 50's to 1971. It sounds very much like him that he would make dbdigital's film project his priority at that moment. As a boy during summer breaks he'd take me to the station when it was still on Anaheim. My fascination with the UPI teletype machine was an early inspiration for me to eventually make a career in the news media. The double glass sound-proofing, the holes in the acoustic tile covering the walls, dj's slip-cueing the 45's, when back in the car - listening to the guy who I just saw working in the studio! It was an amazing time for me. The move to the International Tower was a huge part of the station's progress. As mentioned in the thread the station did develop country music competition. If memory serves me, KGBS was the first major LA station to switch to country. Owned by Storer, it had national presence and deep pockets (home of Bill Ballance Feminine Forum). My dad got together with Bill Ward, program director of a small country station in the San Fernando Valley (KBBQ) and worked out a combination buy plan to offer to advertisers. With a lower (than KGBS) 2-station combination rate you got KBBQ and KFOX. The combination provided a larger coverage area than KGBS and country music on KGBS went away. By 1970/71, again if memory serves me, MetroMedia, owner of KLAC, had taken notice and began plans to take KLAC from talk (Joe Pyne, etc) to country. My dad was offered General Manager but he turned them down. He was closing on a couple of stations he was buying in the San Francisco market and he told MetroMedia they could not do better than Bill Ward from KBBQ. Bill's leadership at KLAC took the station to legendary success. I had the privilege of working for KLAC News during that time under Bill Ward's guidance.

After my dad passed I was sorting through his things and came across KFOX-related memorabilia. Things that I will hold dear as long as I'm around. I've written here much more than I thought I would. I guess I did go on about it. Thanks to all of you for helping to keep the memories of KFOX Long Beach alive.

A great post. Thanks. A gentle, but minor correction RE: KLAC, which did not go directly from talk into country, but from talk to MOR for a year or so, then country. I was a kid at the time, and really only remember because my parents were MOR radio fans. I still remember their howls of pain in 1965 when KHJ went "Boss." But the short-lived KLAC version was not one of their favorites, nor was it popular with most listeners in LA...KMPC being the proverbial 800 lb. gorilla.

Since you mentioned the San Francisco market, I'll note that Metromedia repeated their success with country at KNEW/910 - and later KSAN-FM from the mid 70s to the 90s. KNEW was the host to a number of great DJs, including Jon Wailin, and Frank Terry (KHJ alum).

I only have Pulse ratings back to 1966, but KFOX had a nice little burst of popularity in the late 60s.

In the fall of '66, KFOX tied for 15th (with KGBS and KGIL), but bumped up to a tie for 9th (with KGFJ and KWIZ) in fall of 1967. One more rating point and they would have tied with KFWB and KABC.

Fall of '68 was even better...tied for 9th with KFI, KGFJ and KRLA. Another point that book would have put KFOX in a tie for 5th with KABC and KNX. They slipped to 11th in 1969, but still managed to beat KFI, which had a bad book.

There was one last burst of glory in fall '70, back to a tie for 8th, this time with KALI and KBCA-FM. Half a point more, and KFOX would have tied KMPC.

By fall '71, KLAC was country and with a better signal and a lot more money, it was KLAC in 11th place and KFOX a full point behind and tied for 17th. KFOX fell below a 1.0 in fall of 1972, and KLAC shot to #3 in the market with a 4.5. But KFOX made one last comeback....showing up 15th in fall '73 and tied for 18th (with KBIG) in fall '74.

As a country music air personality in Buffalo, NY, only 3 years into my career, I made my first trip to LA in 1974. Rented a car and drove down to KFOX with an aircheck and asked to see Jonathan Fricke, who was already a well-known country PD back then. I had no appointment, but Jonathan was kind enough to interview me! No openings, but he was a classy, encouraging guy. I left walkin' on a cloud. KFOX was a great sounding country station in '74!

Meeting with the PD in market #2 with an aircheck and no appointment - hard to imagine that in the 21st century.

Sidebar: at about the same time, there was an English-language country station in Montreal, Quebec. The calls: CFOX.

Last edited:
Its exciting to see so many references to KFOX country. I worked at KFOX throufh the 1960's,and would love to make contact with people from that era. Also am trying to find info on the rice family-bluegrass who recorded at kfox with hugh cherry. feel free to phone me in new brunswick at 506-277-6301 or email at [email protected]
stu fleischhaker

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom