• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When is it too early for Christmas music?

That makes sense. I still contend that anytime after Halloween is appropriate. Nov 8th seems this year as if it was a good date.

Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You” is the most streamed holiday tune."
I heard that one in a mall and I never want to hear it again.

Now at other times I heard real, traditional Christmas music. That's the only kind I want to hear. In this case, serious traditional, but I also like fun traditional songs. When I first walked in the mall, whatever junk I was hearing wasn't making me feel good. It might have been a "traditional" song for all I knew but it didn't sound that way, and that doesn't do anything for me.

The real traditional music gave me the desire to hear more of that. However, it doesn't seem right yet and seeing people wearing Christmas sweaters just felt weird. I'm not ready. If an AC station will play it, I do enjoy having something to listen to, until the station plays something bad which is inevitable, and then I have no guarantee of hearing anything if I am in the car.

I heard that one in a mall and I never want to hear it again.

What's even much worse is the stuff we have to endure daily for a month at the store, fed by some music subscription service. It's not muzak, but something very similar. Whoever programmed the "Holiday Pop" station, know nothing about music or how to create a playlist. I enjoy Christmas music, but for gosh sakes, how many variations of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" must we hear on that channel? It's stunning and grossly ridiculous. Btw, very few true Holiday classics are played on that channel, which seems asinine to me.

Last edited:
Right. I only want to a hear a few versions of each song. It means nothing to me that today's popular performers happen to have recorded a familiar song. Only the truly great versions should be allowed. Obviously Nat's "Christmas Song" (I'm hearing his "If I May" right now).

I can't find anything on "If I May" on Wikipedia but that sounds like the title. I like Nat the rest of the year and I get to hear him online. Anyway, Bing's "White Christmas", Perry Como's "Do You Hear What I Hear", Harry Simeone Chorale's "Little Drummer Boy". Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", Andy Williams' "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", and, if you choose one version, not the one with the kids where he sounds old.

Josh Groban's "O Holy Night" is a recent recording but so good it qualifies.

There are several songs by The Carpenters too. Too bad it can't just be Karen. Richard and the other vocalists on "Sleigh Ride" just don't measure up to her.

Josh Groban's "O Holy Night" is a recent recording but so good it qualifies.

Good version, I have the Mormon Tabernacle version also, which is about as classic and original as it gets (I believe)

Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You” is the most streamed holiday tune."

Most streamed among millennials maybe, no one else. Good song, but there are far many other great classics to choose from. I much prefer Percy's "We Need A Little Christmas" over that overplay.

I will change the channel, LIGHTNING-FAST, if I hear that god-awful 'Text Me Merry Christmas' again this season...barf! Even 'All I Want for Xmas isssssss YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!' is better than that crap. Straight No Chaser should be ashamed. KRWM should be flipping tomorrow in Seattle, KARY doesn't flip in Yakima until 12AM on November 23rd. Not sure if 94.1 KSWD in Seattle will flip, knowing they are beating KRWM in the ratings. I hope they keep their normal format for those who are sick of KRWM's tight playlist of Xmas music, but that's just my opinion.

Once again, how many of the complainers here are suburban women 25-44? Raise your hands ... anyone? ... last chance ... females 25-44, got kids playing soccer or taking taekwondo lessons? Ahhh, that's what I thought. Time to let this go and admit that the people in the target demographic are just wired differently from you when it comes to music.

Once again, how many of the complainers here are suburban women 25-44? Raise your hands ... anyone? ... last chance ... females 25-44, got kids playing soccer or taking taekwondo lessons? Ahhh, that's what I thought. Time to let this go and admit that the people in the target demographic are just wired differently from you when it comes to music.

And let them enjoy the ad nauseum songs to their heart's content. Obviously the target audiences were dissatisfied last year when most stations began Christmas music just before Halloween. Glad they have to wait an extra 2-3 more weeks this year for their tunes.

As long as they keep it to THEIR station(s). Last year, even our local classic hits station got overrun (right before Thanksgiving, if memory serves).

And let them enjoy the ad nauseum songs to their heart's content. Obviously the target audiences were dissatisfied last year when most stations began Christmas music just before Halloween. Glad they have to wait an extra 2-3 more weeks this year for their tunes.
Yes, they have said every year that it will start earlier and earlier every year until they hit the "point of diminishing returns." For us, that was a couple of years ago when they started on or about Veterans' Day. Now it appears to be Thanksgiving week, if not on Thanksgiving day. The Christian AC here may do a "teaser" tomorrow, if past years are any indication. Usually the Saturday before Thanksgiving, they do that.

We want our station too!

I seem to have found it here.

https://www.iheart.com/live/iheartchristmas-classics-6137/

But when I try to listen on TiVo I get garbage that doesn't even come close to being identifiable as music, much less Christmas music, unless it is about Christmas, which still doesn't make it Christmas music.

Our local 106.3 has switched over today at 5pm to continuous Christmas Music, beginning with "Christmastime is Here" (with choir) from the Charlie Brown special and followed it with Bruce's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" then I tuned out as it's still not Thanksgiving yet!

Our local 106.3 has switched over today at 5pm to continuous Christmas Music, beginning with "Christmastime is Here" (with choir) from the Charlie Brown special and followed it with Bruce's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" then I tuned out as it's still not Thanksgiving yet!
I don't want to hear Bruce sing anything other than "Pink Cadillac" but not even that one at Christmas.

I like all the Charlie Brown music.

I was in a department store where the music should be sophisticated. I heard some Christmas songs (or rather, songs about Christmas) and some regular songs. "Last Christmas", despite the lyrics and the chimes (instead of sleigh bells) does not qualify as far as I'm concerned. It is mostly indistinguishable from the other "music".

I don't want to hear "Sarajevo" either. I was hoping to find a video of this, but I guess you have to find a way to watch the entire episode. Here is a link to a recording and description:

https://www.tunefind.com/show/life-in-pieces/season-3/55324

As far as you're concerned....and no one (figuratively) cares. Outliers and semiprofessional complainers are, justifiably, irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You can tilt at windmills all you want. Last Christmas is a Christmas song.

With Thanksgiving passing by us, I'm back to WQPW Valdosta as my #1 Xmas preset online. Better playlist of holiday tunes than almost every large and mid-market station. Not hearing any Christmas music on KKRB Klamath Falls yet, which went all-Christmas after Thanksgiving last year. Locally, KARY does a good job as always with the holiday format. And then there's that odd duck, KZTP 104.3 in Sibley IA. There's songs on that station, that I've never heard elsewhere. Ho-ho-ho!

Yeah, not a good one. The only TSO song I have in my library is "Christmas Canon".
The kids make that good. The instrumentals are too synthesizer-based for my taste.

I just heard "Sarajevo" on America's Best Music. The song is an abomination on AC radio. Any real easy listening station that plays it should be delivered enough coal for an Appleton winter by Santa. I can't listen to WNAM on my TiVo because too many Christmas songs will require turning it off (as I did) or listening to something better on my desktop until the crisis is over. "O Come O Come Emmanuel" by Aaron Shust is another abomination.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom