• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's in a name?

Radiofan101

Inactive
Inactive User
I've noticed that the most popular name for Smooth Jazz radio stations is clearly "The Wave." Curious, is the name "The Wave" copyrighted or can any Jazz station call themselves "The Wave".

Also, what are some of your favorite Smooth Jazz station names?

An HD side channel in Traverse City, Michigan (WLDR 101.9 HD2), that runs BA's Smooth Jazz Network brands itself as "The Vineyard" - apropos because of the number of wineries in the area (including one owned by Madonna's father, Ciccone Vineyard in Suttons Bay). Not the most compelling programming, but the name is really cool.

I like the City name former Smmoth Jazz station KCIY 106.5 The City Kansas City MO now Country WDAF FM I also like XM/Sirus Watercolors

Radiofan101 said:
I've noticed that the most popular name for Smooth Jazz radio stations is clearly "The Wave." Curious, is the name "The Wave" copyrighted or can any Jazz station call themselves "The Wave".

Also, what are some of your favorite Smooth Jazz station names?

It is trademarked, by Clear Channel I believe. But I have seen plenty of stations not owned by or affiliated with Clear Channel using it. I think as far as U.S. trademark law goes, as it was explained to me, the criteria for getting trademarks approved is that the branding has to be unique and synonymous with the product. Obviously the trademark seems to be a little outdated in this case. There are plenty of "The Wave" stations out there these days (one in my backyard down in Salisbury, MD) that bears no resemblance to the original station or those with Smooth Jazz formats (it is an Oldies/Classic Rock station). Frankly, I did not even want to go there, so that's why I am "The .wav" 8)

I also have heard The Oasis used in several areas. It is one of my personal favs.

jhguthlac said:
I also have heard The Oasis used in several areas. It is one of my personal favs.

Dallas had a GREAT station back in the day (KOAI) called "The Oasis." Spiritof67 posted some classic airchecks from them circa 1990/1991 some time ago. Great stuff. Always was a fan of "The Breeze" myself.

Past attempts at smooth jazz in northern Michigan (on analog radio) went by the the names "Coast FM" and "The Breeze." Both sounded great, as both were Jones affiliates, but neither lasted, unfortunately. I like that WSBZ in Florida calls itself "The Seabreeze" - it's a very evocative name that makes one think of relaxing in the sun on the beach while a cool breeze blows off the ocean.

I used to listen online to KMGK 107.1 Alexandria, MN, when they were a Jones Smooth Jazz affiliate and streamed. They called it "Smooth Magic 107." A little cumbersome, I suppose, but I thought the phrase "smooth magic" was cool.

Nowadays it seems if the station isn't called "The Wave" or "The Oasis" (like the new station in Albuquerque or the now-defunct attempted revival of the format in Detroit), it's just "Smooth Jazz [insert frequency here]" or it it's Smooth AC, "Smooth [insert frequency here]."

AC Tones said:
jhguthlac said:

Dallas had a GREAT station back in the day (KOAI) called "The Oasis." Spiritof67 posted some classic airchecks from them circa 1990/1991 some time ago. Great stuff. Always was a fan of "The Breeze" myself.

KOAI on 106.1 was freaking awesome. It brought me (along with my Uncle David) to this genre of music.

Our closest biggest city, is refer as "The Hub". To me, if we ever have a station, that would be a good name.

Back in 1988/1989 when the former WLYT 92.5 Haverhill MA, (now WXRV) carried the syndicated "Breeze" they were called "The Light Breeze."

http://www.jazz-city.com/

I like station names that refer to something unique to their area such as The River, The Bay, The Coast, The Mountain, and so on. One in particular that comes to mind as far as this format goes is "Smooth Bays" in Green Bay, WI.

RMarino said:
I like station names that refer to something unique to their area such as The River, The Bay, The Coast, The Mountain, and so on. One in particular that comes to mind as far as this format goes is "Smooth Bays" in Green Bay, WI.

Truth be told, I really wanted to use The Bay when I first launched in 2008. I live and broadcast less than 10 miles from the Chesapeake. But The Bay was already a name for a popular Classic Rock station in Baltimore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom