• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's happened to 'Back to the 80s'?

Studio1

Inactive
Inactive User
I last had an email from Ray Gauthier (and I know he's here on this site) back in February.
I just tried emailing him now and it bounced.
I see the site (www.backtothe80s.info) isn't there either.

Anyone know?

Ray ... where are you?

It was a well-presented, well-researched show. Yet I'm sure it was time consuming. My talk station even aired it for awhile.

Ok... a little more searching and I found this:

"Ray Gautier from Back To The 80s has had to make a tough decision regarding the show. He originally ran the show several years ago, and cancelled the show due to the lack of funding or sponsorship. He decided to bring the show back because the 80s had gained momentum in the last couple years.

The show has been running now for 6 months and, unfortunately Ray hasn’t had any success with sponsorship or additional funding. This has led him to undertaking another carrier (sic) that will take a lot of his time and will pay the bills.

In an email to us he says, “I guess it’s that time to hang up Radio all together. I had fun doing it all, but fun doesn’t pay the bills.”
He also goes on to say, “I will producing one final show this week, but will make sure there are 3 additional archived shows in the coming weeks to give you enough time to fill the time slot. Again I thank you all for airing the show, I wish I could have kept it going. God Bless You All! Thank you! Ray Gauthier.”

Cheers Ray, we had fun listening too.

I will say something about about lack of funding while doing a syndicated show. I have been self syndicating my shows for three years. I do spend a lot of money each month and time. The thing I find interesting and funny at times....are we to make any money on this at all? If we do it will take a while. That is my opinion on this.

Ray sadly had to take on a non radio full time gig to pay the bills so he ended "Back to the 80s" and also left another show he was a host of.

Ray also has a voiceover business and I *think* he still maintains that even though he's away from radio. You can still hear his voiceover work over "The Behind The Mike Show" and Reality One Radio.

I empathize with him. After 25 years, it is tough to stay in a business that is so anally focused on research, they forget the fun!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom