• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's Better? Local or Syndicated oldies radio?

C

cspotrun

due to budget cutting some local radio personalities have been cut and stations are using syndicated programming from out of town. do you like your local oldies personalities(if you have one) or would you rather hear your music from New York or L.A.?

cspotrun said:
due to budget cutting some local radio personalities have been cut and stations are using syndicated programming from out of town. do you like your local oldies personalities(if you have one) or would you rather hear your music from New York or L.A.?

In Chicago we have WLS-FM with some local DJs and the great Dick Biondi. Unfortunately other than Biondi there are no great names on the station, but it's good to hear the WLS jingles again.

Local oldies are so much better especially when personalities are part of the show. The syndicated oldies shows are so sterile and homgenized and play the same songs over and over. Here in the West Palm Beach, Florida area we are fortunate to have real '50's & 60's oldies live & local on 960-AM with "Jammin' Jon" on Saturday afternoons from 1-5PM. I believe the show is also streamed on the internet at seaviewam960.com . I locked on to the show about a year ago and I got hooked! I only wish it was on every day. He plays songs that make you think "gee, I haven't heard that song in years and I love it".

flaradiofan said:
Local oldies are so much better especially when personalities are part of the show. The syndicated oldies shows are so sterile and homgenized and play the same songs over and over. Here in the West Palm Beach, Florida area we are fortunate to have real '50's & 60's oldies live & local on 960-AM with "Jammin' Jon" on Saturday afternoons from 1-5PM. I believe the show is also streamed on the internet at seaviewam960.com . I locked on to the show about a year ago and I got hooked! I only wish it was on every day. He plays songs that make you think "gee, I haven't heard that song in years and I love it".

We had a station in Chicago a few years ago, RealOldies1690 that had good personalities and great music. The kind you don't hear regularly. Unfortunately it was owned by Clear Channel so you can guess what happened to it.

radioman148 said:
In Chicago we have WLS-FM with some local DJs and the great Dick Biondi.

How old is he now anyway? I'd say he's gotta be in his mid-70s. How much longer is he gonna want to keep doing this?

Oldbones said:
radioman148 said:
In Chicago we have WLS-FM with some local DJs and the great Dick Biondi.

How old is he now anyway? I'd say he's gotta be in his mid-70s. How much longer is he gonna want to keep doing this?

I'm not sure how old he is but he still loves being on the air. You can easily hear it in his voice.

radioman148 said:
flaradiofan said:

We had a station in Chicago a few years ago, RealOldies1690 that had good personalities and great music. The kind you don't hear regularly. Unfortunately it was owned by Clear Channel so you can guess what happened to it.

Well, we all know what happens when Clear Channel owns a station. The show in West Palm Beach I am referring to is on a station that I believe is privately owned. I think that except for the great oldies show, the rest of the time this station does Adult Standards, which I believe is not live & local like the oldies show. But Jammin' Jon's Saturday oldies show is definitely worth a listen either over the air or on the internet. He takes requests & dedications and its like radio was really meant to be before the Clear Channels and the other big guys ruined it for everyone else.

Depends. There's no one answer. I don't mind hearing Tom Kent or John Records Landecker, and I like WDJO (Cincy's) personalities.

For me it is either WDJO in Cincinnati or XM. The FM station that used to be oldies in our area has gone to the dogs.

I have my favorite oldies station (right down the street in fact) during the week; however, I do not actually get to sit back to relax and enjoy. On the weekends I am a Dick Bartley loyalist of 20 years...and I do get to relax then.

Silkie said:
I have my favorite oldies station (right down the street in fact) during the week; however, I do not actually get to sit back to relax and enjoy. On the weekends I am a Dick Bartley loyalist of 20 years...and I do get to relax then.

Sure wish Bartley's show was carried in Chicago where he started his syndication many years ago.

It's carried in an Illinois market, although tonight you aren't missing anything if you heard Linda Ronstadt a couple of weeks ago. It's a rerun.

Oddly enough, within moments of my last post Dick Bartley was on live. Go figger. And I still ended up getting to hear the correct first hour. Agree, he's one of the good guys.

radioman148 said:
Silkie said:
It's carried in an Illinois market, although tonight you aren't missing anything if you heard Linda Ronstadt a couple of weeks ago. It's a rerun.

Thanks.

My pleasure. There must have been an engineering problem of some sort, because as I said, he was on live within a few moments of my rerun post. Good Bob Seger spotlight.

FRR said:
For me it is either WDJO in Cincinnati or XM. The FM station that used to be oldies in our area has gone to the dogs.

Though I do sympathize with your comments at least as far as the "quality" of the on-air presentation is concerned, the FM station "that used to be oldies" is #4 overall in the market with a more salable concentration of audience.

Hardly a "dog"...at least if you're trying to make money with a radio station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom