• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will happen to 750-AM format wise?

With the imminent launch of an improved 95.5 FM signal from midtown Atlanta which will now cover the entire Atlanta market, any guesses what will become of AM-750. In at least two other markets where Cox moved News-Talk to FM but still had big signal AMs, the AMs went with ESPN. That being Jacksonville and Orlando. Regardless one would guess AM-750 will practically be a giveaway revenue wise. I vote ESPN 750.

With the imminent launch of an improved 95.5 FM signal from midtown Atlanta which will now cover the entire Atlanta market, any guesses what will become of AM-750. In at least two other markets where Cox moved News-Talk to FM but still had big signal AMs, the AMs went with ESPN. That being Jacksonville and Orlando. Regardless one would guess AM-750 will practically be a giveaway revenue wise. I vote ESPN 750.

WOKV-AM in Jax is a class B, 50kW day/25kW-DA night. WOKV-FM is a full class C at almost 100kW. The AM has a much larger coverage area than the FM during the day, but much smaller at night.

WDBO in Mousetown is a class B, 5kw day and 5kw-DA night. WDBO-FM is also a full class C at almost 100kW. Daytime coverage is comparable for both signals, but the FM will have much more coverage at night.

Compare to WSB-AM, a class A clear channel station 50kW day and night. WSBB-FM with the new signal will be a class C1 with a slight null to the NW, and 100kW. WSB will still have more coverage than WSBB-FM, even with the new signal, 24/7.

The two Florida AMs suffer in night coverage, as one would expect. Daytime they are at least comparable.

Do the Florida AMs do any PXP of local teams? I would think that weak night coverage would hurt that.

WOKV-AM in Jax is a class B, 50kW day/25kW-DA night. WOKV-FM is a full class C at almost 100kW. The AM has a much larger coverage area than the FM during the day, but much smaller at night.

WDBO in Mousetown is a class B, 5kw day and 5kw-DA night. WDBO-FM is also a full class C at almost 100kW. Daytime coverage is comparable for both signals, but the FM will have much more coverage at night.

Compare to WSB-AM, a class A clear channel station 50kW day and night. WSBB-FM with the new signal will be a class C1 with a slight null to the NW, and 100kW. WSB will still have more coverage than WSBB-FM, even with the new signal, 24/7.

The two Florida AMs suffer in night coverage, as one would expect. Daytime they are at least comparable.

Do the Florida AMs do any PXP of local teams? I would think that weak night coverage would hurt that.

I don't believe either station air any local PXP. WDBO-AM carried the Magic games for years. During the period WDBO-AM and FM simulcast, they aired on both stations. FM dropped them when the signals split and they continued on AM only. Then last year, Clear Channel picked up the rights.

If whatever audience WSB-AM is still getting is making a difference in the station's ranking, I doubt anything will change.

A couple of things to consider:

1. WSB-AM is a historic and legendary station, much more so than either WOKV or WDBO on AM. (Of course, WOKV's predecessor on 690, WAPE, was quite the legend.)
2. Atlanta has a Sports station on a major FM signal plus one with a good daytime signal on AM along with an FM translator. Prior to WDBO and WOKV flipping to sports, both Orlando and Jacksonville had only 1 Sports signal, and it was on AM with not a great signal.

I guess time will tell.

It's an interesting topic. In New York, where WFAN has a clear channel AM signal at 660 and a full market FM simulcast, there has been no move to split the stations, and I don't think there ever was serious discussion for Cumulus to flip WPLJ to a WABC FM talk signal.

However, in DC, where Cumulus has had an AM-FM talk simulcast with WMAL, they recently split the simulcast, retaining talk on the FM and ESPN on the AM. Of course the AM signal is a fraction of what WSB is. Plus this came just as they sold off WRQX-FM.

My suspicion is the Cox folks will retain the simulcast as long as its practical.

If it was Cox, then I would say the simulcast would continue because of the history of WSB-AM with the company. With Apollo, all bets are off. If they think there is another $20 a year in profit, then I think we will see a split.

If whatever audience WSB-AM is still getting is making a difference in the station's ranking, I doubt anything will change.

A couple of things to consider:

1. WSB-AM is a historic and legendary station, much more so than either WOKV or WDBO on AM. (Of course, WOKV's predecessor on 690, WAPE, was quite the legend.)
2. Atlanta has a Sports station on a major FM signal plus one with a good daytime signal on AM along with an FM translator. Prior to WDBO and WOKV flipping to sports, both Orlando and Jacksonville had only 1 Sports signal, and it was on AM with not a great signal.

I guess time will tell.

I guess Cox could put sports on WSB-AM and make a hard run at WCNN...or they could only put UGA sports on the AM instead of the simulcast, but that's not much of a change. Of course, Cox puts UGA on 106.1 and 103.7 in addition to 95.5/750...probably to stick it to WDUN.

The other problem is that WCNN carries Georgia Tech sports, and that will conflict with UGA.

If it was Cox, then I would say the simulcast would continue because of the history of WSB-AM with the company. With Apollo, all bets are off. If they think there is another $20 a year in profit, then I think we will see a split.

Interesting thought, so assuming you're right, why would they put an aging talk format on FM, when they could likely make more money with music?

Interesting thought, so assuming you're right, why would they put an aging talk format on FM, when they could likely make more money with music?

Roddy probably could answer the questions about WSB's listener demos, but WSB has not gone as "old" as others because they have definately invested in local talent and events. Today I was listening to Scott Slade and Clark Howard with the Care-A-Thon for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. The station is not just about Rush and Sean as it is in other markets. Now, does this mean that the demo's are aging, yes. For billing, I think WSB has a few more years of billing that will out perform a music station. Again, I hope Roddy could weigh in on this one. :cool:

Roddy probably could answer the questions about WSB's listener demos, but WSB has not gone as "old" as others because they have definately invested in local talent and events. Today I was listening to Scott Slade and Clark Howard with the Care-A-Thon for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. The station is not just about Rush and Sean as it is in other markets. Now, does this mean that the demo's are aging, yes. For billing, I think WSB has a few more years of billing that will out perform a music station. Again, I hope Roddy could weigh in on this one. :cool:

WSB is certainly not the only News/Talk station to add an FM simulcast. Very few people probably younger than 40 or 45 listen at all to AM.

WSB skews older, but it still has good numbers in the 25-54 demo. Over the years, I've seen that many businesses feel they need to be on WSB no matter the demographics. (Their owners are likely WSB listeners.) I find it interesting that while an older audience on music stations keeps advertisers away, that phenomenon doesn't seem to apply to some big News and News/Talk stations. WINS, for example, takes in tremendous revenue despite not having a young audience.

I find it interesting that while an older audience on music stations keeps advertisers away, that phenomenon doesn't seem to apply to some big News and News/Talk stations. WINS, for example, takes in tremendous revenue despite not having a young audience.

WINS, WBBM, WBZ and KOMO have comparable all-news formats that thrive in snowy markets with an omnivorous appetite for news. I can think of no metro in the cotton South where that appetite exists.

WINS, WBBM, WBZ and KOMO have comparable all-news formats that thrive in snowy markets with an omnivorous appetite for news. I can think of no metro in the cotton South where that appetite exists.

I agree that All News doesn't work in the South and did not suggest it did. I said certain big "News and News/Talk stations" bill big despite having older demos. And WSB is one of them.

I think that 92.9 has too many other things going on,such as soccer and Falcons,which would overlap with baseball season. 750 might get it if they really pursue it.

I think that 92.9 has too many other things going on,such as soccer and Falcons,which would overlap with baseball season. 750 might get it if they really pursue it.

The Braves are on an upswing, but does that mean WSB will want them? The team was still winning division titles when WSB apparently decided the price of the rights was not worth it.

The other side of the coin is the Braves won't have a ton of options so prices could change. But will WSB think ratings and revenue would increase with the Braves? Would carrying the Braves be better than carrying Mark Arum and the third hour of Hannity? I don't know the answers to those questions.

I was told by someone in management at Entercom/Atlanta that when 106.7 was sold, the Braves offered the FM broadcasts to 92.9, but Entercom declined.

I kind of think The Fan needs to find a way to hang on to being the Braves flagship. With 92.9 around, 680 and 93.7 could find it very damaging to lose the Braves.

The Braves are on an upswing, but does that mean WSB will want them? The team was still winning division titles when WSB apparently decided the price of the rights was not worth it.

The other side of the coin is the Braves won't have a ton of options so prices could change. But will WSB think ratings and revenue would increase with the Braves? Would carrying the Braves be better than carrying Mark Arum and the third hour of Hannity? I don't know the answers to those questions.

I was told by someone in management at Entercom/Atlanta that when 106.7 was sold, the Braves offered the FM broadcasts to 92.9, but Entercom declined.

I kind of think The Fan needs to find a way to hang on to being the Braves flagship. With 92.9 around, 680 and 93.7 could find it very damaging to lose the Braves.

Oh, I see. You're talking about the AM only.

680 has the rights through 2026. That is still a long time off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom