• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your reception on 820 AM at night?

Wow Radio Paradise....wasn't sure if that one was still around! I got it when it was on 825 from near Boston in 1980.

They must be running some north/south pattern.

I got WBAP & WOAI from Alaska during my 1978-80 tour.....maybe once! My prize catch there was WWL 870 on the Delco car radio.

I got WNYC on 820 in the day from Bermuda----maybe I wrote that here already.

cd

Reviving this old thread.
I've been hearing a warble over 820 here in Atlanta at night. It sounds like that instrument used in the song Tie Me Kangaroo Down from the 60's.
Sometimes the speed of the warble increases. Don't believe its data but sounds more like a jammer. But I am unaware of any jamming on MW.

Maybe it's Rolf Harris' ghost?

Seriously...this "warbler or wobbler", (whatever you call it) has been turning up from time to time on various frequencies for about the past ten years and discussed here. IIRC, the first time I heard it was on 930 in Alabama. Cuba is the consensus "suspect", but to the best of my knowledge, no one here has been able to positively confirm that. As for power, I'd guess 5 or 10kw. I've never heard it here in the Chicago area, but I've never really tried. It probably is a jammer of some sort. But if the source is indeed Cuba, it's been something of a mystery as to why the Cubans chose at least some of the frequencies where it's been heard.

Odds are some unstable Cuban or Mexican/Central American causing a warbly het. There was one on 1000 last winter which was IDed as a Cuban that isn't that powerful but it doesn't take much to generate a het.

Odds are some unstable Cuban or Mexican/Central American causing a warbly het. There was one on 1000 last winter which was IDed as a Cuban that isn't that powerful but it doesn't take much to generate a het.

I remember that one, also.

Rolf Harris' Ghost

That's a good one. Thanks for your input. I'll try to get a direction on it tonight. Maybe the Cubans don't like Mark Levin.

That's a good one. Thanks for your input. I'll try to get a direction on it tonight. Maybe the Cubans don't like Mark Levin.

Maybe they think "Cowboy" Bill Mack is still on WBAP at night, and don't like him either. :)

Maybe it's Rolf Harris' ghost?

Seriously...this "warbler or wobbler", (whatever you call it) has been turning up from time to time on various frequencies for about the past ten years and discussed here. IIRC, the first time I heard it was on 930 in Alabama. Cuba is the consensus "suspect", but to the best of my knowledge, no one here has been able to positively confirm that. As for power, I'd guess 5 or 10kw. I've never heard it here in the Chicago area, but I've never really tried. It probably is a jammer of some sort. But if the source is indeed Cuba, it's been something of a mystery as to why the Cubans chose at least some of the frequencies where it's been heard.

Rolf Harris is still alive, but disgraced

Because of an extremely strong local ( 50KW, 3 tower, KGO 810 ) which is less than 12 miles from me, anything on either side of 810 is quite difficult to grab. I have managed only once, to score WBAP out of Dallas with my super radio II, but I was standing in such a way to null out KGO, holding this 5lb radio, my back was cramping..LOL. Seriously, I can't just put the radio down and swing it side to side, and be like, hey look, WBAP, nope. I look at it this way, a catch is a catch, and I caught WBAP, but I have not heard it since I last posted on another thread.

Rolf Harris is still alive, but disgraced

I knew about his "downfall", but I thought he had passed away. So I checked and discovered that he got out of prison last year after serving three years, and is still with us at age 88.

Haven't heard the jamming the last two nights.
Maybe Rolf should hook up with one of those rock and roll re-union concert shows on tour.

Between the North Shore Channel and McDaniel Avenue, just east of McCormick Boulevard and just north of Main Street, Evanston. The area used to be private property, but now is public property known as Harbert Park.

Two shorter towers for AM 1330, maybe 150' max. The two towers were almost north and south of each other, with the south tower slightly more to the SE of the north tower, so the main lobe was probably about 160-170° WEAW most likely did not operate with 5,000 watts (only 500 or 1000 watts) until the transmitter site was moved to Northbrook and a larger parcel of land was secured because there wasn't enough space to "rotate" the towers to a more East-West direction as it is now to maximize the null of the pattern for Rockford. Plus the 4-tower array in Northbrook would have been needed to protect the 1340's in Joliet and Milwaukee with the increased power. I believe the taller FM tower was 240'. I thought the neon sign saying WEAW vertically was on the taller tower. I used to live in Evanston in the 50's and 60's less than a mile east just off of Main St., so of course I saw the station all the time.

For fun, I found this too: I wonder if WEAW-FM operated with 36 kW ERP at first as the letterhead suggests, and then went to 180 kW ERP by using a TPO five times greater?

As for WCPT 820 at night, that coverage map is laughable! Unless there were auroral conditions attenuating CHAM's and WBAP's skywaves, there is no way the red line goes out that far on the end and sides of the pattern, derate at least 5 maybe 10 miles! For example, at Lake-Cook and IL-53 at night the signal is usually torn up really badly by WBAP, and to a lesser extent, CHAM. The R-L coverage map shows that there is supposed to be a "city-grade" signal there. WCPT-AM Radio Station Coverage Map WCPT's coverage is great in the daytime though, a really good signal just east of Rockford, for example. They hold their own with WBBM 40 kHz down the dial.
Hello everyone. I hope somebody is still around from this thread of five years ago. I found it because the WEAW-AM original towers in Evanston are coming down now (2021) and I was curious about their history. Thanks to all for what has been posted here, just what I was looking for. I had no idea that there was a neon sign on the tower shown during the 1950's. I moved to Evanston with the family as a ten year old in 1960.

Please see attached photos, the first I just took of the west tower already halfway dismantled. I did not know the towers had been non-functional for AM since the 1960's. I pass the towers regularly and recently noticed the red tower light at the top was out for an extended time, an FCC/FAA no-no.

Contrary to the post from stormy that I quoted, the physical orientation of the two towers is more E-W than N-S. There is a one block N-S offset and a three block E-W offset. I took a photo today (also attached) of the base of the eastern (it was the driven element of the two) tower where you can see an insulator and the long decrepit transmission line connection to the tower. No sign of demolition yet of the eastern tower which has a single high VHF or low UHF antenna mounted on it up high.

I was very active for years as both a SWL and an AM-BC DX'er. I'm a ham, WA7MAD, but haven't been on in decades. My career was in TV broadcasting at WLS-TV (ABC) in Chicago where I was an electronics maintenance technician.

Attachments

• theEnd.jpg
    theEnd.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AM tower.jpg
    AM tower.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for posting these pictures. Haven't been by that area in awhile, but I do remember those towers.
Pretty much same for me. My brother in law and his wife live in Evanston, and we visit them several times in a "normal" year, but our usual route doesn't take us near the tower site. I definitely remember them, but it's probably been at least ten years since I've driven by that siter.

Looks like I didn't ever participate in this thread.... Obviously, as I'm in the Seattle metro, it's generally our local 820 station KGNW 24 7, but there have been a few times when it was off the air I've heard WBAP coming in, weakly, on various radios (PR-D5 and PR-D14 during the most recent periods KGNW was off air -- about a month and a half ago).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom