• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your reception on 820 AM at night?

Dxer1105

Inactive
Inactive User
I am trying to pick up that texas clear channel WBAP. Would I be able to pick it up in the Philadelphia, PA area? It sounds like a graveyard frequency where i dx from. It is probably possible. I would like to see everyones reception of 820 AM

I still hear WBAP EVERY NIGHT here in Central Kentucky. During the Day, I can hear WOSU from Columbus, OH. Sometimes, at night, I hear Spanish language stations on 820, too. I've never tried to figure them out.

For me, WBAP seems to get stronger here an hour or two BEFORE local sunrise in KY. You might try listening for it an hour or two before Philadelphia sunrise. It would also help if you can rotate your antenna to null out other stations interfering from the side.

My results pretty well mirror KR4BD's but in central Indiana. WBAP screams into here at night.

From the fringe of downtown St. Petersburg, 820 is WWBA (antenna about 18 miles n.w.), but with a 1,000 watts night (50,000 watts day), I can hear under WWBA, the Cuban station and WBAP.

From a 2nd listening post, about 73 miles n.e. of St. Petersburg, it's the Cuban station or WBAP depending on which way I rotate the radio. (not a trace a WWBA-Largo, at 2nd listening post in east Hernando county,FL)

drt,
st. petersburg,fl

From Philly, I would think that WNYC in New York City would certainly hamper any 820 reception (assuming WNYC has recovered from Hurricane Irene).

CHAM in Hamilton, Ontario would have a say in it as well.

Like I implied in another thread, if this were 35 years ago, you may have had a better chance.

Here in south Florida at night, WBAP might eke in here every now and then, and also maybe the 820 in Largo (near Tampa) with its 1 kW night signal. There is also an 820 in Havana, and another Cuban running Radio Reloj (which *might* be the Havana one after midnight).

cd

30 miles north of Chicago it's WCPT during the day & weaker at night with WBAP in the mix. Also CHAM is in the mix from time to time.

I remember when WFAA and WBAP would blast into the Midwest at night. I can't remember what times they switched, but I remember hearing the switch. WAIT...WCPT have been on and off and on at night. They can be heard in Northern Michigan at night.

WNYC is very weak during the day. It is at its best at critical hours when you get almost like a tropo enhancement type of reception ( minimal skywave) where lower power stations shine and fill the dial. At night, it is one of the stations caught in the mess ( probably the dominant one in most directions). well, I will try for it when I have a chance. I have picked up KOA with a moderate signal for 20 minutes one time so it can be done.

Schroedingers Cat said:
I remember when WFAA and WBAP would blast into the Midwest at night. I can't remember what times they switched, but I remember hearing the switch. WAIT...WCPT have been on and off and on at night. They can be heard in Northern Michigan at night.

WFAA was the first station from Dallas that I ever heard in the midwest. It wasn't until later on that I realized that they shared 820 with WBAP.

820 at night is local KGNW Burien/Seattle, WA. (Christian Talk) Sometimes WBAP came in at Bothell under KGNW. In Portland, OT WBAP was quite strong, with KGNW under it.

-crainbebo

Before the IBOC trash got put on the air, I've gotten WBAP here in VA at night, though the signal was "shaky" at best. Now these days, it's kind of a mess with the IBOC from WCCO, if that's what WCCO has on, and WBAP coming in weakly.

All I mainly get is an off-frequency image of KPAM (860), due to my listening locations' relatively close proximities to the transmitter site.

Here on 820 I often get XEABCA Mexicali (or is it XEMVS? FCC confuses me.) Sometimes WBAP can sneak in as well, usually more likely after midnight. (Mexicali can be heard in the daytime here.)

Darth_vader, by relatively close proximity to KPAM (860)'s transmitter site, do you mean something like this or maybe a bit closer? ;)

Before 820 Seattle signed on in 1985, I used to get a weak WBAP under the overblast of KGO

Today, WBAP is a rare catch in the Bellingham, WA area, but they do sneak in occasionally.....

I was in the upper peninsula of Michigan this weekend. CHAM owns the channel. WBAP in the background.

Sidebar note to Radioman regarding his question in another thread (sort of)....

Much to my surprise, WIND was the strongest Chicago daytime signal. WLS strongest at night. Other than my college roomate's wedding years ago, this was my first trip to the UP. At least it was my first with a good radio.

cyberdad said:
I was in the upper peninsula of Michigan this weekend. CHAM owns the channel. WBAP in the background.

Much to my surprise, WIND was the strongest Chicago daytime signal. WLS strongest at night. Other than my college roomate's wedding years ago, this was my first trip to the UP. At least it was my first with a good radio.

I told R. Fry something similar to this about the WIND groundwave and he was quite skeptical. I also said WIND was stronger than WLS in Park Ridge, though V-Soft for 60068 shows it the other way around. Any other opinions?

Schroedingers Cat said:
cyberdad said:

I told R. Fry something similar to this about the WIND groundwave and he was quite skeptical. I also said WIND was stronger than WLS in Park Ridge, though V-Soft for 60068 shows it the other way around. Any other opinions?

I don't live even close to these regions, but generally, the lower the frequency, the better the AM signal carries in the day.

I think it was DavidEduardo who said a 250 watt AM on 540 is as good as a 50,000 watter on 1550.

So WIND could well carry better in the day than the other "big guns" in Chi-town.

Also, as 550-630 were originally "regional" frequencies, similar to those 1250-1480 (excluding the graveyard freqs), there are much fewer stations on each freq 550-630 then there are 1250-1480, ostensibly due to the farther carriage of the formers.

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom