• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your oldest gold title?

What gold titles (say pre-1991) are still being played on your local modern rock station?

Not counting retro programming or a retro lunch hour that many stations still do. What is the oldest title(s) still being played in regular programming.
For example, going from a current such as The Black Keys "Gold On The Ceiling" into a gold such as Faith No More "Epic".

Well, not to brag or anything, but you'd be surprised how well "A House Is Not A Motel" from Love's 1967 "Forever Changes" album slotted in between "12:51" from The Strokes and "How Do I Know" from the new Here We Go Magic album. Given that I was 3 when that record was released, I'm not interested in offering that as nostalgia; all three are just good records.

(Yesterday, 4:37pm on Altrok 90.5 HD2 here at the Jersey Shore.)

I still hear "I Wanna Be Sedated" on a semi-regular basis in Toledo. 89x Detroit plays NO 80s or before, I think I heard "Should I Stay..." two years ago and that was IT!

"Tomorrow Never Knows" The Beatles (1966)

I give this song credit as the very first alt-rock song.

I'd guess that the Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" (1976) is the oldest song that gets frequent airplay on commercial, terrestrial Alternative stations. Though some stations might go back to early Bowie.

The soon to be defunct (God that HURTS to say that) WFNX in Boston always plays Iggy and Bowie stuff from the 60's and 70's...

Saladressing said:
Queen's a great fit IMO. I recall being on an LA freeway and hearing 'we are the champions' on Indie 103.1.

Agreed. Generally, 70's "glam" informed the early days of punk/new wave (Queen, T. Rex, Sweet, Bowie, Gary Glitter, Roxy Music and on the US side, the New York Dolls and Alice Cooper) and some of it *was* the early days of punk/new wave (Ultravox segued from mid-70's glam into new wave rather organically, save for a lead singer replacement.)

Nine Inch Nails do a terrific cover of Queen's "Get Down Make Love", and in the opposite direction, you might get a kick out of the new cover of "You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record)" by...wait for it...Sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWJIa87UyE

(In the "opposite direction" cover song category, my favorite is the Violent Femmes responding to Gnarls Barkley covering their "Gone Daddy Gone" by covering "Crazy": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-SMLTfuVw )

KRBZ here in Kansas City will sneak "Sweet Jane" from the Velvet Underground into normal programming periodically.

KTBZ in Houston will play a few older gems like The Ramones I Wanna Be Sedated, The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go and The Sex Pistol's Anarchy in the UK. Their majority of gold is 90s based like most alt stations.

I stopped regularly listening to KTBZ some years ago as they slid toward active rock, but I don't recall hearing the Pistols or the Ramones on the station, at least since the late 90's. They used to play Blister in the Sun occasionally, but Nirvana is about as old as they'd go otherwise. Most modern rock stations are post-Nirvana only these days it seems, with a few exceptions.

chrocket87 said:
I heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" while streaming Radio 94.7/Sacramento...Kind of an odd choice for alt-rock, wouldn't you think?

If "We Are Young" and "Some Nights" are Alt/Rock, then so are most songs by Queen IMO

TheRob said:
KRBZ here in Kansas City will sneak "Sweet Jane" from the Velvet Underground into normal programming periodically.

And just to add on to my post about 96.5 the Buzz, this is part of its playlist this morning, with the "golden oldie" titles in bold.

10am
Pearl Jam - "The Fixer"
Bob Marley - "Redemption Song" (1980)
The Transplants- - "Gangstas and Thugs"
Animal Kingdom - "Strange Attractor"
The Clash - "Rock The Casbah" (1982)
Foster The People - "Houdini"
Death Cab For Cutie - "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"
The Shins - "Simple Song"
R.E.M. - "Gardening At Night" (1982)
System Of A Down - "Toxicity"
11am
The Police - "Roxanne" (1978)
Foo Fighters - "All my Life"
Florence And The Machine" - "No Light No Light"

Cool, yeah the 10am hour on the Buzz is sort of a "specialty" show with the last letter of the last song having to be the first letter of the next song. They played a deep track by the Velvet Underground on there the other day and the DJ said something to the effect of 'this is why I love this show we can bring out songs like this.' Awesome that this kind of music gets play on a 100kw station in a major city during the day.

I seem to recall KROQ & 91X (wayyyyy back in the day) putting the Beatles & the Stones in their regular rotation. Wish that alt rock stations today would still do this.

dtuba said:
I seem to recall KROQ & 91X (wayyyyy back in the day) putting the Beatles & the Stones in their regular rotation. Wish that alt rock stations today would still do this.

The Beatles and Rolling Stones are considered classic rock.

sdh483 said:
dtuba said:

The Beatles and Rolling Stones are considered classic rock.

True......especially today. But KJET in the '80s played a handful of Beatles/Stones selections ("Destroyer" The Kinks was another. A few Doors tracks as well.)

"Tomorrow Never Knows" The Beatles (1966) personally gets credit as being the very first alternative rock song because it did something nobody else in the mainstream was doing at that time (sitars, tape reversing, looping and psychedelic lyrics....) Nothing before or since has ever sounded like it. And it opened the door to alternative.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA

Nevermind labeling. Rev 105/Minneapolis played The Beatles all the time.

A TRUE alt. rocker would play the Stones and the Beatles because they are a part of the rock and roll continuum; as well as some Dick Dale and Ella Fitzgerald too. But yeah. Back to the regularly scheduled Rise Against into RHCP ;) (not that there's anything wrong w/ those bands but variety is the slice of life)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom