• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is WFAN/Mike and The Mad Dog's rep nationally?

Last year when someone posted a "Congrats M&MD for 15 years of continuious air time" a few posters replied about how they are overrated and are laughed at by those not in the NY area, and are not treated as the "icons" they are by the NY media (competitors here in the market almost geniuflect to them, and any new local show on 1050 ESPN Radio notes that it will be a tough battle going head-to-head with them)

Amongst the critizism are that they rely too heavily on stuff that isn't covered on a national basis. I.e. College Football from mid-Janurary to August

To that I'd say, well last time I checked New York City ISN'T a big College Football market. Quite frankly no one cares here in NYC how Urban Myer's spring camp is going. Quite frankly no one needs to hear from the returning starting QB at Nebraska or Texas in July (On a GameNight on ESPN Radio a few years back I heard Chris Simms interviewed, in the MIDDLE OF JULY)

The other one I heard is that the guests are all "A-List" while other shows rely on cultivating relationships with the second/third string players or just getting guys who are just plain interesting story tellers

To that I'd probably say, Russo and Francessa have never worried about their relationship with the people they interview (well Francessa does have his friendships with Bill Parcells, Larry Brown, ect but they never come on) Case in point the Chris Russo vs Al Leiter war where Al Leiter probably thought there was a friendship there when there really wasn't. They are really more friendly with fellow broadcasters and writers and its those sources that they feel more comfortable taping into, rather than trying to be friends with every athlete/coach in New York City

I think they would do quite well on a national level though

Steve

"I think they would do quite well on a national level though"

uh, sorry, those 2 idiots would be embarrassed nationally...they make so many mistakes during a week that most of the dopes in new york have no clue about..their listeners treat those 2 as gods and the listeners are like robots..they believe everything that comes out of their overrated mouths....they are perfect doing what they do...throw out some opinions....mix in a "few" (very few) facts...give out lots of misinformation..and nobody will know any different...if they were in any different market they would fail...its only in New York where that obnoxious duo is successful

thank god for people like Raismann (NY daily News) and Mushnick (NY Post)who are media wroters and watchdogs for the local papers..they call them on crap all the time....if it weren't for them, nobody in new york would realize what a farce those 2 are sometimes....

> nationally...they make so many mistakes during a week that
> most of the dopes in new york have no clue about..

Okay, list some recent ones.

I'll give you they don't know hockey well and they haven't done current boxing in years, they'll be the first to admit that.

One thing I can't stand is when blind "They get the facts wrong" or "They sound unintellengent" statements are made.

I mean, come on will ya please? Bring something to the table!

> facts...give out lots of misinformation..and nobody will
> know any different...

Like what? Examples please

> thank god for people like Raismann (NY daily News) and
> Mushnick (NY Post)who are media wroters and watchdogs for
> the local papers..they call them on crap all the time....if
> it weren't for them, nobody in new york would realize what a
> farce those 2 are sometimes....

By the way, Mushnick and Raisman had a failed show on WFAN, take alot of their anti-WFAN comments with a grain of salt.

BTW, at least FranDog aren't like Michael Kay, who has quite often gone off on stuff Raisman has said in his column.

Steve

> > thank god for people like Raismann (NY daily News) and
> > Mushnick (NY Post)who are media wroters and watchdogs for
> > the local papers..they call them on crap all the
> time....if
> > it weren't for them, nobody in new york would realize what
> a
> > farce those 2 are sometimes....
>
> By the way, Mushnick and Raisman had a failed show on WFAN,
> take alot of their anti-WFAN comments with a grain of salt.
>
> BTW, at least FranDog aren't like Michael Kay, who has quite
> often gone off on stuff Raisman has said in his column.
>
> Steve

Yes..Mike and Chris screw up and there is often a level of hypocrisy that is keenly pointed out by Mushnick, Raissman, Zipay et al... But honestly, having listened to sports radio across the country they are no worse (and probably better than most) than anyone else.

Very few markets have full time media beat guys at the papers...And even for those that do, few spend a lot of time on radio issues and few are willing to take real shots at guys they see on the street and at events all the time. Very few markets get the on air scrutiny that the New York guys get from the print media.

That being said, I think they're show is very New York centric. I'm an original New Yorker and liked the show when I was there, but in the other markets I have been in, I do not think that there self important over analysis would go over all that well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom