• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is on 88.7 in NYC?

I've just discovered an online webtuner that lets me surf across the NYC dial just as if I was in the big apple. :) :) :)

I'm particularly fascinated by a weak signal on 88.7. As of 22:00 UTC (17.00 local?) it isn't in English, nor is it French German or Spanish (I recognise those). And I'm pretty sure it isn't Portugese or Italian. At a guess I would say an Eastern European language, but I could be miles off with that guess.

Any ideas what I am listening to? A websearch is inconclusive

88.7 is also the frequency for WRSU, the Rutgers University student station in New Brunswick, NJ, but I think the signal is too weak to reach the city.

88.7 is also the frequency for WRSU, the Rutgers University student station in New Brunswick, NJ, but I think the signal is too weak to reach the city.

Well the webtuner does state it has an outdoor aerial, so it might get the weak signals better.

In theory either of those stations should ID in English at some point, yes? I'm fascinated as to what the language was, I can usually take a pot shot, but I really have no clue other than ruling out French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portugese. I don't think it was Dutch either. That only leaves a few thousand possibilities! :D

Unfortunately someone else was using the webtuner this morning so I will have to wait until later.

Maybe this webtuner is located at said college and is inundated by their signal?

It's Hebrew.

In southern Brooklyn, a Hebrew religious pirate dominates 88.7 FM. It calls itself Kol HaShalom, "the Voice of Peace". I'm told this was also the name of a famous left-wing pirate in Israel, although this Brooklyn one is apparently right-wing instead of left-wing.

There are lots and lots of pirates in southern Brooklyn but most of them are either in Haitian Creole or Caribbean-accented English, with a few in Spanish, but a couple of them are aimed at the Orthodox Jewish community. So if you hear a language and can't identify it easily (since Spanish and Creole are easy to recognize), Hebrew is usually the best guess around here.

...this was also the name of a famous left-wing pirate in Israel, although this Brooklyn one is apparently right-wing instead of left-wing.
Two wings, one bird.
Israel's left wing is our right wing.
It was on a ship, anchored off the coast of Israel,
and I think it played rock and roll music, back in the day.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom