• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is Glynn Walden smoking?

From Inside radio comes this complete bit of fantasy from Glynn Walden. This is his idea to revitalize the AM band :D.

"A third proposal, supported by CBS Radio, would transition the entire AM band to digital and dramatically improve audio quality. “By next year there will be more HD Radios in use than satellite receivers,” CBS Radio SVP of engineering Glynn Walden said. “We need the FCC to set a date for a digital AM sunrise and for an analog AM sunset.” Another proposal would move AM to synchronous transmission systems that use multiple small broadcast nodes instead of a traditional AM tower"

more magical thinking at

http://www.insideradio.com/Article.asp?id=2638552&spid=32060

This is developing quickly. NAB et al. have been conducting all-digital tests on WBCN and more are apparently in the works on other stations (yet to be named, most likely to be named after the testing is complete). Walden called the WBCN tests "not perfect, but impressive."

KB1OKL said:
From Inside radio comes this complete bit of fantasy from Glynn Walden. This is his idea to revitalize the AM band :D.

"A third proposal, supported by CBS Radio, would transition the entire AM band to digital and dramatically improve audio quality. “By next year there will be more HD Radios in use than satellite receivers,” CBS Radio SVP of engineering Glynn Walden said. “We need the FCC to set a date for a digital AM sunrise and for an analog AM sunset.” Another proposal would move AM to synchronous transmission systems that use multiple small broadcast nodes instead of a traditional AM tower"

more magical thinking at

There's a old saying, "You can't make a silk purse with a sow's ear". The AM spectrum was never designed for digital transmission. One of the major issues with AM transmission is lightning, static crashes. It's been a major issue since the dawn of radio. The best thing for AM radio is to go with C-QUAM Stereo, go back to the pre-NRSC standard, also allow for AM stations to move to the spectrum of TV Channels 5 and 6. TV Channels 5 and 6 are practically useless for DTV due to the high noise floor. And the "sunsetting" of analog AM would be a stupid move. The high powered former Clear Channels should be revisited for 100,000 watts and allow the later ("Johnny-come-lately") stations, who moved to the former Clear Channels, the option to move to the extended FM band (76-87 MHz). HD radio on AM doesn't work.... period. It's just throwing more hiss into an already damaged AM band. And, with all due respect for Mr. Walden, I find it very hard to believe that there will be more HD Radios than satellite receivers. I highly doubt it. ;)

I dunno what he's smoking, but I want some.

I'm still advocating for moving some of the AM stations to the expanded FM band, too. Except I would leave most of the regional signals on AM and make it a hybrid of regional/superregional and hyperlocal signals. Most of the band would be for big coverage, high power and part of it could be reserved for LPAM and community broadcasting. All analog, mandatory C-Quam, no mask during the daytime at a minimum.

Giving these little peashooter worthless AMs something worthwhile might actually make them worth something, plus any de-cluttering of the AM band would be most welcome as well.

Hey guys: this is IMPORTANT.

We need to take Commissioner Pai at his word. He said "don't be a stranger" to broadcasters and invited our input about AM. What is needed at this juncture is a flood....a FLOOD.... of articulate, well-reasoned, non-bomb-throwing correspondence making the case for improved AM and against HD Radio.

Mark my words: CBS will lobby strongly for HD-AM. That comment from Walden is desperate...and a lie. We need to inundate the Commission with all of the arguments we've made here for six years. Otherwise Walden could get his wish and the AM band will cease to exist.

Get writing, and make it your best work.

Please also remember that any adoption of AM-HD (with the possibility of a hard transition) WILL set precedent for the same thing to happen on FM eventually.

It will be interesting to see how proponents and the FCC get around the proprietary nature of HD...as that was the very reason why forced adoption was discounted by the FCC in the first place.

His stock would rise appreciably. He's an investor. CBS and the other HD owners won't promote it with dollars on complementary media, so they'll force it by FCC mandate if we don't stop this self-aggrandization and -pocket-lining. I've read the data and I am unconvinced. I share the report here: Meretriciuos persiflage raised to the 8th power divided by the hypotenuse of blatherskite accelerated to impinge on gasconade, will enhance beneficial misattribution. Furthermore, free participle propagator derivations extracted from borrowed allure will enhance ecclesiology to a heretofore unattained apogee of maximum albedo. Don't forget to carry the macaroni ricer, add a spaghetti bender and bread juicer to the 17th decimal

I think Walden and CBS should show other AM broadcasters by way of example. CBS should shut off all of its AM stations' analog signals. In short order, one of two things will happen. One -- other AM broadcasters and the general public will fall wildly in love with HD-only AM, proving Walden and the folks at CBS geniuses; or two, the rest of us will get to divvy up those millions and millions in revenue that CBS will lose by making such a colossal mistake. Hmmmm . . . I'm putting my money on number two. ;D

Lightning discharge is going to prevent any AM digital system from working properly even if you are close to the tower. This should be reason enough for the FCC to not allow it as it would be unreliable when the listener may need to hear an EAS warning for an approaching storm.

KB1OKL said:

more magical thinking at

Reasonable article that furnishes a good assessment of current MW problems and potential solutions. If I owned a signal challenged 1310 and wanted to invest in increased coverage; I believe "Part 15ing" an IBOC node system on that 1310 would be cheaper and wiser than acquiring a FM translator. You could easily customize your coverage area to fit your needs with all the nodes - ALL ON THE SAME 1310 FREQUENCY, where you might need three 250 watt translators -ON FOUR SEPARATE FREQUENCIES COUNTING THE 1310- to accomplish the same task! The Commissioner sounds amenable to such ideas.

First glance indicates that the FM translator is the wiser investment because "people can tune to 107.9 and hear us right now!". Reality is: FM translators are scarce and difficult to get, priced at top dollar, loaded with potential litigation, lease, siting, signal and etc. problems. We are talking about a limited, 250 watt air interface for how much?

I believe SFN is wiser because the automobile is the key to the success of HD, just as it was for FM. FM doddered along until the middle '70s. FM receiver set penetration reached the point of FM radio's "event horizon". FM stations began sporting some heavy numbers. Superior audio and signal quality kept FM in the lead. Things have changed. Digital HD IBOC has placed AM and FM audio quality on an even keel. HD car radios come with MW and FM HD so at least MW is in the dashboard, where it counts the most. Therefore it is now potentially possible, assuming reasonable FCC and Broadcasting support, for that signal challenged 1310 to immediately begin to build out their digital signal coverage area to a viable size. Each new car has 1310's HD digital infrastructure on the air, ready and waiting to entertain.

Once MW HD set penetration reaches its event horizon, MW will speedily go digital. There will be no need for a mandatory AM sunset.

FM, OTOH, will not give up analog easily. That is where the die-hards will make their stand. It may be awhile before FM ever goes all digital.

-

I 'second' every reply made (except 'iyiyi' implying AM would voluntarily go digital). Question is, what's the best way to get to Pai - should we be writing on ECFS on a NPRM or mailing a real letter to the FCC? NO bombs, just facts about how thunderstorms destroy HD AM radio signals, while analog AM still works thru the crashes. The mandate should be for decent AMAX stereo AM receivers mandatory on all HD-FM receivers. It's a matter of national security to maintain 50KW clear channel analog AM radio stations - WWL has proven that. 9V or AA operated AM radios run for days on replaceable batteries; digital HD tuners run for a few hours with a non-replaceable battery. Case closed. NO all digital AM.
How best to get the word to the man at the FCC behind the curtain?

JohnnyElectron said:
I 'second' every reply made (except 'iyiyi' implying AM would voluntarily go digital). Question is, what's the best way to get to Pai - should we be writing on ECFS on a NPRM or mailing a real letter to the FCC? NO bombs, just facts about how thunderstorms destroy HD AM radio signals, while analog AM still works thru the crashes. The mandate should be for decent AMAX stereo AM receivers mandatory on all HD-FM receivers. It's a matter of national security to maintain 50KW clear channel analog AM radio stations - WWL has proven that. 9V or AA operated AM radios run for days on replaceable batteries; digital HD tuners run for a few hours with a non-replaceable battery. Case closed. NO all digital AM.

There's no reason an HD portable couldn't be battery powered. I get less listening time out of my Insignia with its built-in rechargeable than I do some of my other little radios with their AAs, but I imagine if the Insignia had a big battery box holding four AAs it would last a lot longer, too. Standby time would certainly be greater, as well.

Another option for AMs would be to acquire a FM translator and then go all digital on the AM side, which no one is listening to, anyway. Of course it makes no sense to invest anything in a signal no one cares about, which is why so many AMs with translators (and AMs in general, really) sound like dog squeeze today.

JohnnyElectron said:

I assume you're referring to the same FCC that approved this HD travesty in the first place?

Don't hold your breath. The FCC has, as the saying goes, moved on. Broadband is their focus right now, as is stealing every last Hz of spectrum they can lay their grubby little paws on. Saving a 100+-year-old medium is not and never will be on their radar.

Then why bother doing a pannel in the first place ?
Something nobody brings up. What about all of the millions and millions of anolog radio's out there? if AM was all digital, so many radio's would be what? paper waits?

Zach said:
There's no reason an HD portable couldn't be battery powered.

Over all the years that portable radios have been available, users have developed expectations of what kind of battery life they can reasonably expect. Battery-powered HD radios would be returned in droves as the batteries die a (in the users' minds) premature death.

iyiyi said:
I believe SFN is wiser because the automobile is the key to the success of HD, just as it was for FM.

The automobile was not the key to FM. It was the FCC edict in 1967 which virtually ended simulcasting. FM shares started increasing immediately, and were approaching 50% by '75 and passed the half-of-all-listening mark by '77.

Car radio penetration increased along with the increase in FM usage at home and at work. Since historically only about 30% of listening takes place in the car, it was important to get the home and work listening... and then consumer demand to be able to hear their new favorite stations in the car, too.

FM doddered along until the middle '70s.

FM's were at the top of many markets in the early 70's... well before in-car FMs were anywhere close to standard gear in most cars.

FM receiver set penetration reached the point of FM radio's "event horizon". FM stations began sporting some heavy numbers. Superior audio and signal quality kept FM in the lead.

FM had had superior sound and signals since the band migrated to its current frequency range right after W.W. II. What changed with the '67 rule was the sudden creation of many many new formats or format variants which had not existed before. Progressive rock rolled out nearly as soon as the simulcast rule was published... Beautiful Music was developed and put into syndication. Oldies developed as early as '68 as a new format. CHR developed out of the simulcasts in the late 60's, and standalone FM Top 40's sprung up in significant numbers by '72.

Of course, it didn't hurt that many of the now separately programmed FMs had signals superior to many of each market's AMs.

Things have changed. Digital HD IBOC has placed AM and FM audio quality on an even keel.

AM HD has done no such thing. It's still full of artifacts, and sounds much worse than full NRSC AMs even on talk.

iyiyi said:
Digital HD IBOC has placed AM and FM audio quality on an even keel.

Yeah...if you have tin ears, tinnitus or excessive wax build-up. Using "HD-AM" and "quality" in the same sentence is a joke.

dumber than a box of hair said:
iyiyi said:
Digital HD IBOC has placed AM and FM audio quality on an even keel.

Yeah...if you have tin ears, tinnitus or excessive wax build-up. Using "HD-AM" and "quality" in the same sentence is a joke.
AM "HD" sounds horrible. Its' coverage is crappy, The high end frequency response sounds tiny and artificial. The interference is overwhelming. The AM band was never designed to handle digital transmission, period. They'd be better off going back to pre-NRSC standards, revisiting C-QUAM for Stereo and AMAX. Just get that noisemaker (IBOC) OFF-THE-AIR.

From what I understand DRM is more robust and better sounding than HD on AM. I have yet to hear DRM and of course I don't think anyone reading this has heard non-hybrid HD on AM. But if it could work, the single-frequency-network idea is certainly worth exploring.

Dave B.

John Holcomb II said:
Then why bother doing a pannel in the first place ?

Because it's an important first step toward setting the policy-wheels in motion to get the FCC to agree that an all-digital AM transition is a good thing. I would not be surprised if the NAB et al. filed comments this year asking the FCC to open an NPRM on the idea. They're already well-along at doing the research to justify it.

Savage hit the nail on the head: be prepared to engage the FCC in a thoughtful, constructive fashion on the detriments of the technology - and be prepared to offer alternatives. For example, the FCC made most of its constitutive decisions on HD before DRM was even a contender.

The problem is, there's more than a decade of industry and regulatory inertia to overcome.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom