• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What if Lazer Media would buy a Los Angeles Radio Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Los Angeles and Orange County it seems like they need a Spanish language radio station that is owned by Lazer Media for example: Radio Lazer, La Mejor, La Méxicana and Latino that's my suggestions

In the Los Angeles and Orange County it seems like they need a Spanish language radio station that is owned by Lazer Media for example: Radio Lazer, La Mejor, La Méxicana and Latino that's my suggestions
Lazer is a small market operator. LA already has over 15 Spanish language stations or hybrids like the two reggaetón stations.

One station, KLVE in LA, bills 30% more than all the 40 Lazer stations combined... and 12 times more than Lazer's highest billing station.

Last edited:
Lazer is a small market operator. LA already has over 15 Spanish language stations or hybrids like the two reggaetón stations.

One station, KLVE in LA, bills 30% more than all the 40 Lazer stations combined... and 12 times more than Lazer's highest billing station.
Lazer Media would be a great choice to start buying KLYY, KDLD/KDLE and KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF they would probably become Radio Lazer, La Mejor and La Méxicana that's my suggestions

Lazer Media would be a great choice to start buying KLYY, KDLD/KDLE and KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF they would probably become Radio Lazer, La Mejor and La Méxicana that's my suggestions
Lazer has no major market experience and it’s formats and air staff are intended for much smaller markets.

Those Entravision stations are 1) the lead stations for a big radio Tv company and 2) worth more than the whole Laser operation.

Isn't La Mejor name copyright doesn't MVS from Mexico out right own that name.
In Mexico. Trademarks, service marks, brands, etc. have to be registered in each jurisdiction.

I'm curious if a generic term like "The Best" can even be service marked in the US.

I know that "La Nueva" when it was first used on KSCA in LA about 26 years ago could not be registered as the term is too broad and generic, even in just the specific are of Spanish language radio.

Lazer has no major market experience and it’s formats and air staff are intended for much smaller markets.

Those Entravision stations are 1) the lead stations for a big radio Tv company and 2) worth more than the whole Laser operation.
Unless Lazer Media would have to buy Spanish Broadcasting System radio stations such as: KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM and 2 Entravision Communications radio stations KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM and KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF 107.1 FM

For example:

KXOL 96.3 FM would become Latino (Spanish Top 40)
KLAX 97.9 FM would become Radio Lazer (same format Spanish language Regional Mexican)
KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM would become La Méxicana (Spanish-language Ranchera and Regional Méxican)
KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF 107.1 FM would become La Mejor (same format Spanish Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music)

That would be an option

Unless Lazer Media would have to buy Spanish Broadcasting System radio stations such as: KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM and 2 Entravision Communications radio stations KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM and KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF 107.1 FM

KXOL and KLAX are two of the bigest SBS stations in the country, and are among the highest Spanish language billers in the market.

Anyone buying them is going to pay for the cash flow as much as the "license value" and would never, ever change the formats.

Lazer's entire portfolio of stations is worth less than either one of the SBS stations alone. Lazer has no major market experience in programming, sales or management. It's a good tiny market operation, but they are not going to buy a prosperous station in LA and change its format to a small-town cheap format.
For example:

KXOL 96.3 FM would become Latino (Spanish Top 40)
KLAX 97.9 FM would become Radio Lazer (same format Spanish language Regional Mexican)
KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM would become La Méxicana (Spanish-language Ranchera and Regional Méxican)
KSSE/KSSC/KSSD/K252BF 107.1 FM would become La Mejor (same format Spanish Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music)

That would be an option
That would not be an option... it would be absolute stupidity to take very successful groups in LA, destroy all their billing to start over when both companies are very profitable right now in their operations. And in both cases, the LA stations are a key part of two of the three largest Hispanic broadcasters in the US.

Last edited:
KXOL and KLAX are two of the bigest SBS stations in the country, and are among the highest Spanish language billers in the market.

Anyone buying them is going to pay for the cash flow as much as the "license value" and would never, ever change the formats.

Lazer's entire portfolio of stations is worth less than either one of the SBS stations alone. Lazer has no major market experience in programming, sales or management. It's a good tiny market operation, but they are not going to buy a prosperous station in LA and change its format to a small-town cheap format.

That would not be and option... it would be absolute stupidity to take very successful groups in LA, destroy all their billing to start over when both companies are very profitable right now in their operations. And in both cases, the LA stations are a key part of two of the three largest Hispanic broadcasters in the US.
I think Estrella Media might be an option to buy KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM for example:

KXOL 96.3 FM would flip to Luna (a Spanish-language Adult Contemporary)

KLAX 97.9 FM continues to with the name La Raza (same format Spanish-language Méxican Regional)

Which means KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM would become the brand-new sister station of KBUE/KBUA/KEBN 105.5 FM/94.3 FM this going to be a blast

Like I said last week that Lazer Media is a great choice to buy KLYY 97.5 FM, KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM and KSSE/KSSD/KSSC/K252BF 107.1 FM

KLYY 97.5 FM would flip to La Mejor (same format Spanish-language Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music similar what Jose airs)

KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM would flip to Radio Lazer (Spanish-language Regional Méxican Musica)

KSSE/KSSD/KSSC/K252BF 107.1 FM would flip to La Méxicana (Spanish-language Méxican Ranchera)

Gold Coast Radio would buy KMZT 1260 AM/98.3 FM flipping to La M (a Spanish-language Méxican Regional Music)

That's my suggestions hopefully Los Angeles Radio will start making a lot of changes mid-2023

I think Estrella Media might be an option to buy KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM for example:
Please, stop with the "impossible dream" ideas.

KXOL and KLAX are key to SBS, a large and profitable national Spanish language group. Estrella Media has been disposing of radio properties and is the offshoot of the bankruptcy of LBI and hardly in a position to expand radio while they attempt to recover in the TV area.
KXOL 96.3 FM would flip to Luna (a Spanish-language Adult Contemporary)
In the last weekly, KXOL was the #2 Spanish language station. It is billing around $15 million a year.
KLAX 97.9 FM continues to with the name La Raza (same format Spanish-language Méxican Regional)

Which means KXOL 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM would become the brand-new sister station of KBUE/KBUA/KEBN 105.5 FM/94.3 FM this going to be a blast

Like I said last week that Lazer Media is a great choice to buy KLYY 97.5 FM, KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM and KSSE/KSSD/KSSC/K252BF 107.1 FM
No they are not. They have no major market experience, not PPM market experience, limited national sales experience and cheap, basic formats that work in tiny markets.
Gold Coast Radio would buy KMZT 1260 AM/98.3 FM flipping to La M (a Spanish-language Méxican Regional Music)
The owner of KMZT runs it as a hobby and it is not for sale.

Why do you want to put bad small market formats on in the largest Hispanic market in the US?
That's my suggestions hopefully Los Angeles Radio will start making a lot of changes mid-2023
You realize that a change in format flushes all the ongoing ratings and revenue and causes a restart at zero audience and zero revenue? Nobody is going to kill the high billing Entravision and SBS stations to start over with formats that offer "Bakersfield radio in LA".

Please, stop with the "impossible dream" ideas.

KXOL and KLAX are key to SBS, a large and profitable national Spanish language group. Estrella Media has been disposing of radio properties and is the offshoot of the bankruptcy of LBI and hardly in a position to expand radio while they attempt to recover in the TV area.

In the last weekly, KXOL was the #2 Spanish language station. It is billing around $15 million a year.

No they are not. They have no major market experience, not PPM market experience, limited national sales experience and cheap, basic formats that work in tiny markets.

The owner of KMZT runs it as a hobby and it is not for sale.

Why do you want to put bad small market formats on in the largest Hispanic market in the US?

You realize that a change in format flushes all the ongoing ratings and revenue and causes a restart at zero audience and zero revenue? Nobody is going to kill the high billing Entravision and SBS stations to start over with formats that offer "Bakersfield radio in LA".
Who cares about SBS Radio their company sucks

I wish Estrella Media would of start buying KXOS 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM to become the brand-new sister station of KBUE/KBUA/KEBN 94.3 FM they would of become owned-and-operated radio station

I've been thinking KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM would of become La Tricolor (a Méxican Regional Music)

Entravision Communications would of buy Mount Wilson FM Broadcasting radio station KMZT 1260 AM/98.3 FM flipping to Viva (a Spanish-language Cumbia and Top 40 Music) that would of make sense these are my suggestions now you know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:
@DavidEduardo is there not a "Fictional Radio" topic for radio as there is for TV that this could be placed under? The one for TV works well as there are a few sub-forums there for people to "fantasize" about channel lineups and markets that don't exist and most likely will never. This thread belongs under a similar topic for radio.

None of this as suggested by a single user (who's taken over a few threads with this type of fantasy) will ever come true as you've repeatedly tried to explain, seemingly with great patience. It could never work in some instances and if implemented it would surely destroy stations that are currently well-run, and it assumes that any of these companies would ever want to seriously consider buying any of these stations and then change them to the formats as suggested above.

If this isn't a candidate for some type of "Fictional Radio" category, I don't know what is. And please @DavidEduardo please stop bashing your head against a brick wall trying to convince someone who's obviously not willing to listen or understand. There are too many, more serious discussions on this site where your knowledge and strong opinions are better spent.

I think you're all missing the point. I suspect "Luis" is the same guy as "MTNproductions" on the NYC board, babbling over recent months about Scott Shannon retiring. And possibly he's also "Chuckie" from the old ba.broadcast Usenet group. In other words, a troll who keeps typing outrageous absurd ideas to see how long he can string along the suckers. Even if it's not literally the same person (or "he" is actually "she", or even "DJT"), you play into his hands when you continue to engage him. Ignore him and he'll get bored and go away.

Who cares about SBS Radio their company sucks
Wrong again. They have two of the top 3 (out of 15) Spanish language stations in LA. They have the far-and-away #1 Spanish language station in New York. They have two of the top 4 Spanish language stations in Miami. They have 3 of the top 10 stations in Puerto Rico among 130 total stations. They have #1 in San Francisco and #2, despite a bad signal, in Chicago.

I competed with them for nearly 30 years, and they are formidable competitors.
I wish Estrella Media would of start buying KXOS 96.3 FM and KLAX 97.9 FM to become the brand-new sister station of KBUE/KBUA/KEBN 94.3 FM they would of become owned-and-operated radio station
Estrella is a company organized to recover money from the bankruptcy of LBI. It is apparently trying to leave radio, where they are only in 3 markets (four if you consider the "satellite" in the IE) and recently began spinning off radio properties... even an FM in the Los Angeles market.
I've been thinking KDLD/KDLE 103.1 FM would of become La Tricolor (a Méxican Regional Music)
Never. And those signals have always had problems due to limited coverage.
Entravision Communications would of buy Mount Wilson FM Broadcasting radio station KMZT 1260 AM/98.3 FM flipping to Viva (a Spanish-language Cumbia and Top 40 Music) that would of make sense these are my suggestions now you know what I'm talking about?
You are suggesting Entravision sell their two limited Class A stations (which only see to work when combined with another FM) and then buy an ultra suburban AM that is totally useless... for a format only they youngest demographics listen to? Huh?

KMZT is an AM. You don't use an AM to play music for an 18-34 year old target audience. The FM is a translator that protects Univision's full Class A station on 98.3 in the market. The translator only covers a small portion of the San Fernando Valley and is highly directional.

And neither SBS nor Entravision is selling stations. Nor is the owner of 1260 AM. Estrella is not buying radio because they are trying to recover lender's money from a bankruptcy.

Please tell us this is a joke as it it way to absurd to be anything else!

Wrong again. They have two of the top 3 (out of 15) Spanish language stations in LA. They have the far-and-away #1 Spanish language station in New York. They have two of the top 4 Spanish language stations in Miami. They have 3 of the top 10 stations in Puerto Rico among 130 total stations. They have #1 in San Francisco and #2, despite a bad signal, in Chicago.

I competed with them for nearly 30 years, and they are formidable competitors.

Estrella is a company organized to recover money from the bankruptcy of LBI. It is apparently trying to leave radio, where they are only in 3 markets (four if you consider the "satellite" in the IE) and recently began spinning off radio properties... even an FM in the Los Angeles market.

Never. And those signals have always had problems due to limited coverage.

You are suggesting Entravision sell their two limited Class A stations (which only see to work when combined with another FM) and then buy an ultra suburban AM that is totally useless... for a format only they youngest demographics listen to? Huh?

KMZT is an AM. You don't use an AM to play music for an 18-34 year old target audience. The FM is a translator that protects Univision's full Class A station on 98.3 in the market. The translator only covers a small portion of the San Fernando Valley and is highly directional.

And neither SBS nor Entravision is selling stations. Nor is the owner of 1260 AM. Estrella is not buying radio because they are trying to recover lender's money from a bankruptcy.

Please tell us this is a joke as it it way to absurd to be anything else!
I never thought about this before but I just had an idea 💡

How about Lazer Media they would buy Estrella Media radio stations in the Los Angeles Market since they're leaving radio for example:

KBUA/KENB 94.3 FM would flip to Radio Lazer (a Spanish-language Regional Méxican Music format)

KRQB 96.1 FM would flip to La Méxicana (a Spanish-language Regional Méxican and Ranchera) this station has a strong signal and more coverage

KBUE 105.5 FM would flip to La Mejor (a Spanish-language Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music similar what Entravisión's Jose offers)

That's my suggestions otherwise Estrella Media leaves radio because of bankruptcy like you said there now you agree with my suggestions?

I never thought about this before but I just had an idea 💡

How about Lazer Media they would buy Estrella Media radio stations in the Los Angeles Market since they're leaving radio for example:
Again, all of Lazer's total stations combined is not worth enough to buy one FM in LA.
KBUA/KENB 94.3 FM would flip to Radio Lazer (a Spanish-language Regional Méxican Music format)
You need KBUE to partially complete the LA market coverage. The two 94.3 signals alone miss the highest density Hipanic area of the LA market. They can not survive without 105.5.
KRQB 96.1 FM would flip to La Méxicana (a Spanish-language Regional Méxican and Ranchera) this station has a strong signal and more coverage
It does not have a strong signal. It is licensed to the far eastern side of the Inland Empire market and does not even cover all of that much smaller market.
KBUE 105.5 FM would flip to La Mejor (a Spanish-language Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music similar what Entravisión's Jose offers)
You can't split 105.5 from the two9 94.3 stations. All are low power class A signals and only together do they even partially cover the LA market.
That's my suggestions otherwise Estrella Media leaves radio because of bankruptcy like you said there now you agree with my suggestions?
Estrella is not bankrupt. LBI went bankrupt, and Estrella was created to take over the assets to try to recover some of the money lenders were about to lose.

Not a single thing you have suggested, based on a proposed operation in the largest US Hispanic market by a tiny small market cheap operator is feasible, practical or doable.

Again, all of Lazer's total stations combined is not worth enough to buy one FM in LA.

You need KBUE to partially complete the LA market coverage. The two 94.3 signals alone miss the highest density Hipanic area of the LA market. They can not survive without 105.5.

It does not have a strong signal. It is licensed to the far eastern side of the Inland Empire market and does not even cover all of that much smaller market.

You can't split 105.5 from the two9 94.3 stations. All are low power class A signals and only together do they even partially cover the LA market.

Estrella is not bankrupt. LBI went bankrupt, and Estrella was created to take over the assets to try to recover some of the money lenders were about to lose.

Not a single thing you have suggested, based on a proposed operation in the largest US Hispanic market by a tiny small market cheap operator is feasible, practical or doable.
Well to tell you the truth in my opinion

I think Lazer Media is a great choice to buy Estrella Media radio stations in the Los Angeles Market

KBUA/KBUA-1/KEBN 94.3 FM would flip to Radio Lazer (a Spanish-language Regional Méxican Music radio station) they could split from the 105.5 FM that would make a lot of sense

KRQB 96.1 FM would flip to La Méxicana (a Spanish-language Mariachi and Ranchera Music radio station) they could extend the 96.1 FM coverage to Los Angeles and Orange County that would make a lot of sense

KBUE 105.5 FM would flip to La Mejor (a Spanish-language Adult Hits from the 50's to today's music radio station) they would split up from the 94.3 FM they would have to borrow the KRDC/K256CX signal to 105.5 FM to reach the entire Los Angeles and Orange County that would make a lot of sense

KWIZ 96.7 FM is been sold by Universal Church they flipped to Vision Latina Radio (a Spanish-language religious radio station)

You understand what I'm talking about that's my suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom