• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What do we think about QwkRock now?

Gotta be frank. I don't listen much, but when I have I was not impressed. Too much mindless banter with little substance for my tastes and I found a few too many instances where I had tuned in apparently mid-way through the discussion about whatever and was totally lost because the guys never recapped the subject at hand for those who just tuned in. But I have to say that a LOT of morning shows make this same error. Have to remember that its radio...people tune in and out all the time...so if you can't fill them in on whatever they missed the break before when you choose to return to a subject, you will lose their interest pretty fast.

This is actually one thing that Ace & TJ do quite well for example. Listen when they return from a commercial break and before they go ranting on about whatever the topic happens to be, they take a quick second to let everyone in on the gag just in case you missed it.

Chris and Jim put on a good show (usually)....Bob and Tom were entertaining too. The new QWK morning team just aren't in the same league as either, at least not yet. Perhaps it will get there if the guys are given some time to develop. However...honestly at this stage in my life, I sorta like the "more music approach" such as the one my own station B94.5 is pushing at the moment. There is too much mindless babble on the dial in the morning. For me, when I am getting up and ready for work and cruising in my car to get to my office, I'd rather jam to tunes all the way than listen to someone laugh at their own jokes that are usually not that funny to begin with. Give me the general overview of today's headlines...tell me how warmly I need to dress and get back to the tunes. Anyone else agree on this subject?

i'm all about the music in the morning. but not a jack-fm with no traffic, weather, etc.

some personality is needed, but at least 12 songs an hour is what i look for; otherwise, after the traffic report i flip on the ipod.

mock3 said:
i'm all about the music in the morning. but not a jack-fm with no traffic, weather, etc.

some personality is needed, but at least 12 songs an hour is what i look for; otherwise, after the traffic report i flip on the ipod.

and now the Central Pa Traffic report...things look good on Atherton Street and College and Beaver Ave look good. Watch out for the construction on 150 as you head in and out of Bellefonte especially around the Nittany Mall delays of 5-10 minutes there, plus look out for the Amish Buggies on 192 and 45...other than that is a smooth drive in this morning...this traffic report brought you by retarded cause the person who mentioned a traffic report in central pa is as retarded as this post.......

ameyer said:
and now the Central Pa Traffic report...things look good on Atherton Street and College and Beaver Ave look good. Watch out for the construction on 150 as you head in and out of Bellefonte especially around the Nittany Mall delays of 5-10 minutes there, plus look out for the Amish Buggies on 192 and 45...other than that is a smooth drive in this morning...this traffic report brought you by retarded cause the person who mentioned a traffic report in central pa is as retarded as this post.......

i think you knew what i was getting at--relevant info...if a traffic report is not relevant in central pa...then don't do it. but sometimes you do get traffic in that area. i know channel 6 used to do a traffic segment in the mornings. it does help so much if you are in a hurry. it is nice to get a heads up. last time i was driving in the altoona area i hit some traffic. had there been a traffic report i could have gone with a different route.

Very little clutter in the way of commercial interuption in the mornings....and at midday..........and in the drive time..............and overnight.
That's good I guess.

I guess what you are getting at Wiseman, little spots, more music or more pointless banter...good depending on what you want but that doesn't mean what you want is always served to you.

:D ;D
AJ, thanks for making my day. I love it! I haven't had a good laugh for a year and almost fell out of the chair ROFL at this one.

If Pittsburgh only had the same reports here with the Amish buggies, but over here, it is how many demolition derbys.

ameyer said:

Isn't anyone gonna comment on the QWK morning show but me? I am curious as to other's perceptions

I'LL PUT MY TWO CENTS IN,
I LISTEN DAILY, THEY MAKE ME LAUGH, I ENJOY THE BANTER, THEY PLAY MUSIC..GOOD SOLID ROCK!
NICE WAY TO START THE DAY WITH A GOOD LAUGH AND SOME GOOD MUSIC..

MUCH BETTER THAN BOB & TOM IN MY OPINION

QwkRock has a loyal listenership no doubt. But can the target demo support the station in financial terms? Bob and Tom probably helped income-wise.

When we had Bob And Tom sure it had ratings but no one wanted to buy the show, so I'm sure it wasn't helping them at all or else it would still be on the air....

ameyer said:
When we had Bob And Tom sure it had ratings but no one wanted to buy the show, so I'm sure it wasn't helping them at all or else it would still be on the air....
I do have to back up AJ on that. I liked Bob and Tom...thought they were amusing...but they are a bit too "hot" for this area. I know of a certain car dealer who when he heard the show pulled all his ads from the station because he didn't believe in the content. Radio shows like that are a tough sell cause you either love them or you hate them and even if you love them if its possible the content may upset your target clientelle, you sure don't want them to know so you hold back.
Dropping Bob and Tom MAY help Forever sales-wise and it has to help them money wise. Bob and Tom is an expensive program to keep on the air.
Overall, its probably a wise move for Forever...but I think the curent morning show will have to grow on me a bit yet.

The guys doing the morning show on Quickrock sound like a couple of small-town guys doing a small-town rock morning show. If they have an edit-button they haven't been convinced that they should ever use it. They just sound like they're learning how to do radio, that's all. Gotta do it somewhere. Might as well be at Quick. In a way it's too bad that they've been put into a position where they're going to be compared with Bob & Tom (one of radio's top syndicated shows) and Chris & Jim (one of State College's longest-running morning shows). It's not fair.

The notion that the sales staff will be able to sell this more easily than Bob & Tom because they're comparatively so non-offensive is pathetic. Bob & Tom are funny. It's Comedy Radio! If the Forever staff didn't get the jokes, they deserved to be fired. And, of course, they were.

shilton said:
Dropping Bob and Tom MAY help Forever sales-wise and it has to help them money wise. Bob and Tom is an expensive program to keep on the air.
Overall, its probably a wise move for Forever...but I think the curent morning show will have to grow on me a bit yet.

News flash - dropping Bob and Tom didn't help WQWK's sales, that's for sure. Very reliable sources say that May sales on QWK are in the four figures right now.

From what I have heard and I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the new morning show is really really bad...I have heard they are trying to be Bob and Tom like and just can't do it...Again I have not heard the show so I have no idea how true that statement may be.

I guess it is safe to say, based on most of these postings, that the new morning show is connecting with both listeners and advertizers. And that Qwkrock is making good money. Bravo to the decision makers. They don't often get the full credit for their incisive moves, only scorn from naysayers with an axe to grind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom