• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What are the best Soft AC stations in the U.S.?

Where are some really good Soft AC stations in the U.S.? The main ones I'm familiar with are WFEZ (93.1 in Miami) and WDUV (105.5 in the Tampa area).

After the holidays I feel like I'm in a mood for more mellow music. Where are some of these other great stations?

With the two example he gave I thought he would like some of those stations listed. I am sure there must be some soft AC on live365.com

I listen to WIOP (Lite 95.9) in Charleston, SC...they even have a few current soft hits added in the mix.

On Live365, there is Glide789. Mostly 70's and 80's soft AC hits.

Easy 101 in southwestern Ontario... they still play the occasional instrumental as well as a touch of smooth jazz. It's Canadian so expect a lot of Celine, Anne Murray, Paul Anka and the like. They call it Easy Listening but it seems to be more traditional soft AC to me.

www.easy101.com

Another one you may want to try is KILJ 105.5 "Smooth Sounds" in Mount Pleasant, IA. I just discovered this one and it seems decent.

kilj.com

Sadly there probably isn't such thing as a Soft AC anymore. Today's ACs play bright, uptempo, "feel good" music.

As for my favorite easy listening station...WEZV/Myrtle Beach. What a joy it is to listen to this station. They have a huge library with tons of "oh wow" surprises. Recently they played the Odd Couple theme from the late 60s and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I'm sure it's mostly older demos but i love to see this station get such big 12+ ratings. It's nice to know others enjoy this station as much as I do. They run sweepers that have mentioned they have a big on line following, I can see why since this format is so rare nationally.

I like WCVU in Southwest FL, and they just started streaming....a Clear Channel station

www.wcvu.com

They do have standards & 1950s stuff in there, so it's not a strict soft AC; but IMO that makes the variety that much wider.

cd

Jay F said:
Sadly there probably isn't such thing as a Soft AC anymore. Today's ACs play bright, uptempo, "feel good" music.

As for my favorite easy listening station...WEZV/Myrtle Beach. What a joy it is to listen to this station. They have a huge library with tons of "oh wow" surprises. Recently they played the Odd Couple theme from the late 60s and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I'm sure it's mostly older demos but i love to see this station get such big 12+ ratings. It's nice to know others enjoy this station as much as I do. They run sweepers that have mentioned they have a big on line following, I can see why since this format is so rare nationally.
And ironically, they are called soft AC by Arbitron.

AC to me is not "feel good" music at all.

Any station that plays "California Gurls" by Katy Perry is not "soft" AC to me. I never thought that song had any business on AC stations to begin with. "Teenage Dream" and "Firework" are one thing... "California Gurls," "Last Friday Night," and "E.T." are quite another. But that's for another board.

There's also the "Jewel" network of stations across Ontario - they seem to be super-soft AC during the day but then they play three hours of standards in the evening and then, surprisingly, two hours of Beautiful Music. CKDX-FM 88.5 Newmarket/Toronto is the flagship. Of course there's lots of obscure Cancon mixed in with the familiar stuff (which I have no problem with, but others may be turned off).

ChrisInMI said:
Any station that plays "California Gurls" by Katy Perry is not "soft" AC to me. I never thought that song had any business on AC stations to begin with. "Teenage Dream" and "Firework" are one thing... "California Gurls," "Last Friday Night," and "E.T." are quite another. But that's for another board.

There's also the "Jewel" network of stations across Ontario - they seem to be super-soft AC during the day but then they play three hours of standards in the evening and then, surprisingly, two hours of Beautiful Music. CKDX-FM 88.5 Newmarket/Toronto is the flagship. Of course there's lots of obscure Cancon mixed in with the familiar stuff (which I have no problem with, but others may be turned off).
If you even mention Katy Perry, you're on the wrong board.

vchimpanzee said:
ChrisInMI said:

I like Katy Perry's music. She is one of my favorite pop singers, but I do not want to hear her on Soft AC.

I would rather listen to a young targeted CHR OR a station that plays old soft music like WEZV or the excellent "soft oldies" format on boomerradio.com.

ACs that play bright "feel good music" don't really excite me. Being male I'm not in the target demo. Then again I'm not in the demo for CHR or Easy Listening either and I enjoy both those formats.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:
ChrisInMI said:

I like Katy Perry's music. She is one of my favorite pop singers, but I do not want to hear her on Soft AC.

I would rather listen to a young targeted CHR OR a station that plays old soft music like WEZV or the excellent "soft oldies" format on boomerradio.com.

ACs that play bright "feel good music" don't really excite me. Being male I'm not in the target demo. Then again I'm not in the demo for CHR or Easy Listening either and I enjoy both those formats.
This is actually the board for easy listening. So-called "soft AC" stations have another board. I told the people in charge the name of this board should be changed, but they never did it.

This is actually the board for easy listening. So-called "soft AC" stations have another board. I told the people in charge the name of this board should be changed, but they never did it.

It could be that the administrators decided to group all three genres into one board since much of the music across the three formats (easy listening, soft AC, and adult standards) already overlap quite a bit. As it's been mentioned before, people equate the term "easy listening" with a multitude of different types of music. To me, "easy listening" is synonymous with the primarily instrumental-based "beautiful music" format that was prevalent on radio for many years, but to others, "easy listening" might include more vocals, or be entirely vocally-based. I'm surmising the term "soft AC" for this particular board is meant to refer to the traditional soft AC sound which was on the air 20-25 years ago...not the format as it is today after evolving for two decades. It seems that many of the newer traditional soft AC stations which have come on the air in the last couple of years, such as WFEZ in Miami, are classified as "soft AC" along with the current version of soft AC, which bares little resemblance to its predecessor. I believe it would be best if the new traditional soft AC stations would adopt an entirely new format name so as to differentiate it between today's version of soft AC. If by "soft AC" you mean the traditional soft AC variety...then I wouldn't say it would require a separate board. The soft AC format was alternately known as "vocal easy listening" back during its earlier years (and to some extent today), so in that sense...I feel it would be acceptable to consolidate the three formats into just one board.

Best soft AC "station" in the U.S.? My own MP3 player.

(I know that's not the type of answer you wanted, but, sadly: that's the truth for me in 2012).

passtheword said:

It could be that the administrators decided to group all three genres into one board since much of the music across the three formats (easy listening, soft AC, and adult standards) already overlap quite a bit. As it's been mentioned before, people equate the term "easy listening" with a multitude of different types of music. To me, "easy listening" is synonymous with the primarily instrumental-based "beautiful music" format that was prevalent on radio for many years, but to others, "easy listening" might include more vocals, or be entirely vocally-based. I'm surmising the term "soft AC" for this particular board is meant to refer to the traditional soft AC sound which was on the air 20-25 years ago...not the format as it is today after evolving for two decades. It seems that many of the newer traditional soft AC stations which have come on the air in the last couple of years, such as WFEZ in Miami, are classified as "soft AC" along with the current version of soft AC, which bares little resemblance to its predecessor. I believe it would be best if the new traditional soft AC stations would adopt an entirely new format name so as to differentiate it between today's version of soft AC. If by "soft AC" you mean the traditional soft AC variety...then I wouldn't say it would require a separate board. The soft AC format was alternately known as "vocal easy listening" back during its earlier years (and to some extent today), so in that sense...I feel it would be acceptable to consolidate the three formats into just one board.
There is, however, confusion since people come to this board and try to talk about Delilah or Katy Perry.

For stations like that, this is the board:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?board=280.0

I do know of one traditional soft AC station (assuming yes.com is accurate) that is airing Delilah. And twelve years ago an actual easy listening station in Myrtle Beach, SC aired her show. But in general, stations with Delilah and Katy Perry are mainstream AC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom