• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What A Mistake To Bring La Preciosa In Tulsa!

M

My_Humps

So far, why is Tulsa's only Spanish FMer a GOLD BASED SPANISH STATION, under the "La Preciosa" name? They woulda done regional Mexican or tropical. This past summer, Tampa & Milwaukee got their first Spanish FMers. Tampa got tropical La Nueva 92.5, and Milwaukee got regional Mexican as La GranD 104.7. Both Tampa & Milwaukee Spanish FMers used to be country stations. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by My_Humps on 10/18/05 06:46 PM.</FONT></P>

Hispanic population

What is the percentage of Hispanic population in Tulsa?

It is hot right now. A Dallas soft oldies station flipped a few weeks ago.

> Why is Tulsa's only Spanish FMer a GOLD BASED
> SPANISH STATION, under the "La Preciosa" name? They woulda
> done regional Mexican or tropical. This past summer, Tampa
> & Milwaukee got their first Spanish FMers. Tampa got
> tropical La Nueva 92.5, and Milwaukee got regional Mexican
> as La GranD 104.7. Both Tampa & Milwaukee Spanish FMers
> used to be country stations.
>

> So far, why is Tulsa's only Spanish FMer a GOLD BASED
>
Ratings drive what is on - if the ratings do well, it will stay. For example, Houston's KLOL was #7 in the ratings after switching from rock to a Hispanic urban format. However, this summer's ratings have slipped down to #17. The number of stations competing for their target population, and whether or not they are making money will be the determining factors for what makes it on the air and stays on the air.

> So far, why is Tulsa's only Spanish FMer a GOLD BASED
>

Are most Tulsa Hispanics of Mexican origin? I would guess they are. If so, throw your Tropical idea out the window. Tropical appeals to Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics of Carribean origin, Mexicans do not like Tropical.

LA PRECIOSA is basically a Regional Mexican format, but it's gold based. I have heard it described as a Mexican "JACK FM" in the sense that that several decades are covered and there is a lot of variety in the music. If you look at the ratings of any market it's in, LA PRECIOSA is doing great, it often ends up beating out the more current based Regional Mexican stations. As excellent as the ratings are, I don't think CC EVER is making a mistake when they put LA PRECIOSA on in any market with a sizeable Mexican population.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom