• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGTK, Earth FM sold to EMF

WHQB 90.5 is licensed to Gray Court but is actually down on Lake Greenwood and barely covers Gray Court to meet FCC requirements actually. The flagship for Life FM is 103.1 in Anderson, the old WRIX-FM

The Life FM on 105.9 does ok around most of Greenville., but right under Paris Mountain and north they send almost no signal to the north and so I hear WTMT immediately after going north of their station on 276 / Travelers Rest. Going east 105.9 starts to fade out around Greer, and 103.1 doesn't really make it past Greenville, so in Spartanburg both 90.5 and 105.9 are about equal in (weak) strength, depending on which side of town. When i get up to Kings Mountain NC, Joy FM as a nice station on 100.1 but even that signal is weak at only 7 watts barely reaching a few miles, (also on 88.1 in Hickory / and 91.3 & 89.3 in Charlotte).

Sean Ross actually did an article regarding The LifeFM a couple of years ago: First Listen: A Father/Daughter Morning Show - RadioInsight

I’m surprised that 105.9 translator was able to be pulled off due to the proximity to WTMT. I’ve noticed the 102.9 translator signal is bad on Altamont Rd also, but it’s very directional. WHQB 90.5 is a directional C2 but they must be operating well below the maximum allowed power/HAAT combination. WHRT 91.9 is a C3 and covers a larger area. 91.9’s antenna is only 40’ lower and 1500w ERP less than 90.5.

Speaking of 91.9, I wonder if RTN regrets dumping the talk format that was on 89.7/91.9 with WGTK out of the picture now. 91.9 seems like a white elephant signal. I know it was originally part of WRBK’s oldies network that had a lot of rural area signals, but for anything else it’s not particularly useful, especially being at the non-comm end of the dial.

I’m surprised that 105.9 translator was able to be pulled off due to the proximity to WTMT.

Surprised but not surprising, the attached coverage map of The Life FM on 105.9 (W290BW) matches my experience going from South to North, almost no signal going NW, completely missing the center of town, yet Travelers Rest is/was mentioned in the TOH Legal ID (W290BW 105.9 Greenville/Greer/Travelers Rest).

Hopefully one of these stations (translators) is put to better use to fill the void from Earth FM (and WGTK). Awesome 99.5 (now Streetz) was a good alternative (though its signal doesn't reach well past Spartanburg due to 99.3 WBT)...The only translator signal from Paris Mountain listenable in Gaffney is 98.5, tho weak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112-222835.png
    Screenshot_20231112-222835.png
    774.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
98.5 then 99.5 are hands down the best translator signals in the market. They make it well down in to Laurens county until WKXC starts taking over on 99.5 and the (LOUD and mono) translator on 98.5 for WCRS/Greenwood starts taking over. I miss the “Awesome” format as well. There’s a station in Richmond (Awesome 100.9) that has the same playlist.

Another religious station that has an exceptionally strong signal I keep getting in Greenville is WJNA 96.7 from Westminster, the “Good News Network”. That one can be added to the ever growing list. It’s in mono so it has an even stronger signal than it generally would. It sounds like a variation of BBN.

BTW to correct an earlier post - WHRT 91.9 is 20.5kW at 355’ HAAT and WHQB 90.5 is 21kw at 446’ HAAT.

Oh, regarding WLTE. I swear since EMF turned off the HD signal, or did something, the reception is much better. 95.5 is stronger than 103.3 for me now in Laurens county. It used to have a ton of loud static and seemed exceptionally weak given all of the factors of the signal.

Oh, regarding WLTE. I swear since EMF turned off the HD signal, or did something, the reception is much better. 95.5 is stronger than 103.3 for me now in Laurens county. It used to have a ton of loud static and seemed exceptionally weak given all of the factors of the signal.

I wonder if reception of 95.5 WLTE has improved as well in and around Greenville. Used to have static moments even in parts of downtown and east Greenville, and especially going up 29 towards Taylors...

Turning off HD shouldn't be something that would improve signal or listening experience, maybe EMF didn't care, as it was Salem that added the 95.5 signal (change from 95.9)

Can kinda hear it weakly at times in some parts of Western Spartanburg, tho 103.3 is obviously a stronger signal choice in that area. Maybe it is performing better with HD off. Their coverage map (if accurate and not exaggerated) should complement 103.3 perfectly. Also, the Tigerville station (WNGR-LP) was still on recently, with notable interference in parts of Greer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114-160155.png
    Screenshot_20231114-160155.png
    940.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I wonder if reception of 95.5 WLTE has improved as well in and around Greenville. Used to have static moments even in parts of downtown and east Greenville, and especially going up 29 towards Taylors...

Turning off HD shouldn't be something that would improve signal or listening experience, maybe EMF didn't care, as it was Salem that added the 95.5 signal (change from 95.9)

Can kinda hear it weakly at times in some parts of Western Spartanburg, tho 103.3 is obviously a stronger signal choice in that area. Maybe it is performing better with HD off. Their coverage map (if accurate and not exaggerated) should complement 103.3 perfectly. Also, the Tigerville station (WNGR-LP) was still on recently, with notable interference in parts of Greer.
That looks pretty accurate. I liked to listen to 95.5 when I listened to the Earth FM because the HD signal sounded fantastic, only issue was the HD never locked consistently in the Haywood Rd, woodruff Rd, I-85 gateway, etc areas, but it did in Simpsonville and Mauldin. HD on a class A is going to have pretty poor reach in general which may be why many don’t bother with it. Woodruff Rd and Pelham Rd / 14 and GSP area had static on 95.5. I was just always so surprised at how weak it was. But yeah just speculation about the HD signal affecting the strength.

It sounds to me like EMF has adjusted the processing on 95.5, it sounds louder than it did and at the same level as 103.3 now. I’ve mentioned the RDS on 95.5 actually works now which seems like it may have been tied in to the HD - I caught 95.5 “glitching” multiple times as Earth FM where the HD signal would lock, drop, RDS would show, HD would lock, drop, RDS came back, etc. about every 15 seconds in a cycle like the HD signal was going out. I’m not sure of the inner workings but when the HD signal seemed to be off or going out, the RDS worked on the analog signal (and this was about 10 miles from the transmitter site in a still location so that HD drop wasn’t the signal fading). Any other time I never saw an artist/song title on 95.5 and it very rarely loaded anything (when it did just a generic “EARTH-FM”.

103.9 has a great HD signal, it makes it down 385 past Fountain Inn and in to Greer on Wade Hampton.

I noticed this evening the WLTE HD signal is back on. It’s showing all of the proper PAD info and RDS is updating on the analog for the first time since the move to Powdersville. Signal still seems slightly better than before.

Today, KOOL FM in Greenville (101.5 / 107.7)
Changes their call letters to "WRTH."

Here is their Message Posted on Facebook:

We at Kool FM stand at a unique crossroads today, one where the past meets the present, and where respect for legacy intertwines with a commitment to the future.

Recently, our city has witnessed a significant change in the radio landscape with Earth FM WRTH transitioning under Educational Media Foundation (EMF) to a new format. This change has stirred a myriad of emotions among loyal Earth FM listeners, a community known for its passion and love for classic hits.

In an act of unity and respect, EMF has graciously allowed Kool FM to adopt the WRTH-FM call letters, a symbol deeply ingrained in Greenville's radio history. This gesture isn't just about maintaining a name; it's about honoring a legacy, one that includes revered voices like Craig Debolt, Bill Love, Action Jackson, Sue Myers, Lee Alexander, Heidi Aiken and rest of their stellar staff.

As we embrace the WRTH-FM call letters, we want to make it clear: Kool FM is not attempting to replicate Earth FM. Our ethos, style, and community engagement remain uniquely ours. What we aim to do is keep the prestigious WRTH call letters in Greenville, while providing a new home for those who miss the music of Earth FM and continuing to cherish and grow the Kool FM family.

To the Earthlings who've found a second musical home with us, we welcome you with open arms. To our loyal Kool FM listeners, we promise to continue delivering the classic hits and community-focused programming you've always loved.

Together, as the station now known by the FCC as WRTH-FM... Kool FM, we celebrate the power of music and community. Join us on this exciting journey, where the legacy of classic hits thrives and new memories are made.

Thank you for being part of our story,

Dave Solomon
Kool FM - Keeping the Classics Alive in Greenville

Today, KOOL FM in Greenville (101.5 / 107.7)
Changes their call letters to "WRTH."

Here is their Message Posted on Facebook:

We at Kool FM stand at a unique crossroads today, one where the past meets the present, and where respect for legacy intertwines with a commitment to the future.

Recently, our city has witnessed a significant change in the radio landscape with Earth FM WRTH transitioning under Educational Media Foundation (EMF) to a new format. This change has stirred a myriad of emotions among loyal Earth FM listeners, a community known for its passion and love for classic hits.

In an act of unity and respect, EMF has graciously allowed Kool FM to adopt the WRTH-FM call letters,
It's a translator. They can't actually do this. They can call themselves WRTH on air, but someone else can have the letters if they want them.

It's a translator. They can't actually do this. They can call themselves WRTH on air, but someone else can have the letters if they want them.

They are an LPFM feeding a translator... they have the call letters for the LPFM

I was concerned about that too...

I was told by Dave Solomon (owner of Kool FM Greenville) that now that his station has the WRTH call sign, no other station can use them, - LP or -FM.

I guess, look for a new call sign on 103.3 (Maybe?) Since EMF has allowed the Greenville LP to use WRTH...But perhaps WRTH-FM on 103.3 doesn't mean 101.5 Greenville can't simultaneously use WRTH-LP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124-150707.png
    Screenshot_20231124-150707.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231124-152345.png
    Screenshot_20231124-152345.png
    595.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231124-152407.png
    Screenshot_20231124-152407.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
if say a full power FM station in NY State wanted the call letters WRTH, they would have to ask dave for permission and he could grant them that, for $. Dave is mostly, broadly right. .and he would have the right to ask for as much $$ as he wanted, and if they didnt pay it, he could say no.. and they wouldnt get permission.

Thats how i understand the rules to be on call letters

You know what so funny? The Kool Facebook page. People really don't have a clue. They have this strange concept that some of the Earth crew could be "hired" by Kool. I'm not even sure how many of the people making comments even listen to the station!

It's a low power station, folks. It's unfortunately never going to amount to anything....ratings, revenue or influence. It's super nice that the station plays oldies and it's great that they have a stream now, but reality.....

You know what so funny? The Kool Facebook page. People really don't have a clue. They have this strange concept that some of the Earth crew could be "hired" by Kool. I'm not even sure how many of the people making comments even listen to the station!

It's a low power station, folks. It's unfortunately never going to amount to anything....ratings, revenue or influence. It's super nice that the station plays oldies and it's great that they have a stream now, but reality.....
101.5 & 107.7 signals reach 200K people, more than many SC class As and some C3s. Not sure what your scale for "influence" or amounting "to anything" is...

Their 101.5 signal does cover about half of the City of Greenville with a decent signal, and I remember a few years ago they used to boast that their signal was close to the "center of the population" ...and that's when their transmitter was off of Pleasantburg Rd near McAlister Square, and then it was moved to the St Francis Eastside Hospital near the Haywood Mall, about 3 miles away to the east.

I wish they can get better height and line of sight with their current signal and transmitter (or nearby) because when they moved it went from 100 watts to 25 watts now the signal isn't as good in the western half of Greenville. And that 107.7 translator doesn't make it but a few miles south of Paris Mountain not even reaching downtown Greenville.

Back
Top Bottom